The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Icarus Effect vs. Elevator 2 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
Why do you guys wanna levitate?
eilers
View Profile
New user
MI
45 Posts

Profile of eilers
Levitation is sweet. E2 looks just like a "jump in air". I have it, and it was a complete waste of money. Go with Icarus.
- Steve -
unrealmagic.com
troller
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of troller
Quote:
On 2005-10-10 22:07, Alex Linian wrote:
Why do you guys wanna levitate?

That's like asking, "why do you want to perform magic?"

Levitation is probably the most unbelievable type effect. After all, we humans are very familiar with gravity and it's effect on us. If only for a gleaming moment, if we could by-pass gravity, it would really amaze any spectator. And there is no other explanation to it other than, the person levitated!!!
Joe Russell
View Profile
Veteran user
Buffalo NY
397 Posts

Profile of Joe Russell
If you do a levitation the spectator is only going to be disappointed because you cannot replicate what they watch on TV.

The second time some one sees something it becomes a puzzle, but the first time they seen it on TV, it was magic, guys just try to be original.
Who is Tattoo Joe?
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I don't want to levitate, I want to fly. If they see you fly, they won't think its something from TV.
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
Quote:
On 2005-10-11 15:49, troller wrote:
That's like asking, "why do you want to perform magic?"

How many of you guys can answer that?!
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
I can answer that. I'm sure a lot, if not all of us can... you can even answer that Alex. We all have our reasons for getting into magic. For me, it was just the joy of performing and bringing a sense of wonder and amazement to others. When someone thinks you are capable of doing the "impossible", and the look and reactions you get are priceless, that is more than enough for me to keep on performing.

:cheers:

Phil
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
troller
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of troller
Why be a magician. The look on people's faces after performing a sleight, is amazing.

It all started I guess when I saw the disappearing hanky being performed. Also known as the TT. That was it, I was hooked. I had to possess this amazing feat.

Being part of a crowd is not good enough for me. I have to stand out from the crowd. Yes EGO plays a big part of it. Being a musician, having played in bands throughout my life, after growing older, I had to go for something that would keep me in the limelight but yet, would be a gig I could do alone. Without anybody else that I had to rely on.

It is so enjoyable seeing the look and amazement on people's faces when they can't believe their eyes. Just as they did when I performed my guitar solos.

And I had enough zeal to go after the secret, unlike most people that carry on with life.... not knowing the secret and still are content. Just like when I was a young lad... I took apart watches, I had to know what makes them tick. So it is the same with magic. Now that I know the secret of conjuring, I am able to move on to a higher plaine. And yes I did get into RC Airplanes to reach that plane!!!! Hahahaha!
Joe Russell
View Profile
Veteran user
Buffalo NY
397 Posts

Profile of Joe Russell
I think Alex posted a more deeper question than you guys are seeing, a question that there is really no answer for.
Who is Tattoo Joe?
Gislain
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Gislain
Is there a site that features the video clip with Icarus
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
You guys should try the new E2^3, it's amazing.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
E1 and E2 when utilized properly can get strong reactions, even almost surrounded. The real trick is performance and balance. When someone takes the time to really work with the Elevator, it can make you levitate as real as real can be as far as magic goes. I am thinking of selling my Elevator, but it's been hard to let go of. I love performing self levitation effects, and like to have several methods to make it happen. I think the reason why you see many Elevator's for sale is because some don't have the time to work with it, or can't find a practical use for it in their show. For those who still use it, they still get great reactions.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Darth Ewok
View Profile
Loyal user
Greeneville TN
228 Posts

Profile of Darth Ewok
I'm a reformed self levitation junkie. I've tried a lot of them. IMO skywalker is the best looking self lev, but man is it a pain to wear. all that stuff stays in my junk drawer now (along with Rainmaker) cool ideas but nothing I really want to perform
my real name is Kevin Harrison

http://www.myspace.com/magicalclerk
Frank Russell
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta Georgia
128 Posts

Profile of Frank Russell
I love the E2 as well. My only problem with it is getting it in position to start the illusion. When I start, all is in place, step one is the "drop," step two is the "mount" and because the drop is not balanced right, you have to tip it back to do the mount. If you own the illusion, you know what I mean. Other than that, it's almost perfect. I love the Angel illusion from the instructional DVD however the front of the gimmick is strange to people who know your personality. If you are always suit and tied or jeans and polo, it just won't work for your personality because you will look like you just came from a Star Wars convention. However, the shoes...same brand...different placement of the coin sized you know whats...use it with a cover in the front, it's a grand illusion. Unfortunately, the masked magician...notice I didn't capitalize his name...is going to give the secret to the Angel camera front and center levitation where he raises as high as he wants to. Oh well, there's always the Balducci...right?
Frank Russell
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta Georgia
128 Posts

Profile of Frank Russell
I just reviewed the Icarus Effect. It seems to be the same as the Criss Angel idea except it is viewed from the front as opposed to Angel who turns his back to the spectator which will reverse all of the construction from front to back or back to front. Honestly, I don't like the look of the illusion. The "space age" material really doesn't look perfect and it is a nuisance when you are just moving around. Just my two cents on a two hundred and a four hundred dollar idea which seem to be one in the same...just a different twist. I still say the shoes with a cover up like a jacket create a true illusion of levitation. If you own one of these effects, just use your shoes, get a jacket, stand in front of a tall mirror that allows you to see your feet and your body. Do the levitation raising up about 4 to 6 inches, move just 2 inches to the left then 2 inches to the right and come back down to the ground...5 seconds in the air...that's all anyone needs to experience. Anymore time in the air starts to look unreal...in a bad way. Also, try leaning back while you are in the air...it's very easy because of the position you are in when you come off the ground. It looks incredible. Try it and you'll see for yourself.
mysto59
View Profile
Loyal user
Bethalto, Illinois
264 Posts

Profile of mysto59
Quote:
On 2008-10-13 01:46, Gospel Dan wrote:
E1 and E2 when utilized properly can get strong reactions, even almost surrounded. The real trick is performance and balance. When someone takes the time to really work with the Elevator, it can make you levitate as real as real can be as far as magic goes. I am thinking of selling my Elevator, but it's been hard to let go of. I love performing self levitation effects, and like to have several methods to make it happen. I think the reason why you see many Elevator's for sale is because some don't have the time to work with it, or can't find a practical use for it in their show. For those who still use it, they still get great reactions.

You hit the nail on the head. I have both and they do require a LOT of practice to look good but the extra practice is worth the effort. I still get great reactions when I perform this.
It's not the size of the wand that matters, it's the "magic" in it...
donkeys and waffles
View Profile
Loyal user
From Florida but all over US now....
294 Posts

Profile of donkeys and waffles
Old thread, I was just looking up Icarus as I am an owner and have used it a lot in the past. I have even owned the fly and some others that have been mentioned here. The Icarus still absolutely kills people. I will do walk around stuff for 2 hours and then end with a levitation. I don't have to hide with a jacket or make any bending down moves or anything crazy. I am still wearing the same pants, same shoes I have been in the whole night.

I know it has been somewhat exposed but I have never had anyone call me out and I have done it for 10 to 15 people and fooled them all at a xmas party. Two people literally left the party. Granted, I had done some mentalism type stuff prior but that was the straw I guess.

Its funny reading posts from fellow magicians and with me, I use that term lightly. I think the icarus demo is spot on and pretty angle friendly. I havent ever had a performance where someone thought something was fishy. If you stagger a bit or tip a bit, wouldnt that be normal ? We don't levitate, most wouldnt know what to expect.

Anyway, my two cents. I have enjoyed it, I enjoyed making it and to me, it is pretty comfortable to wear and drive in. Cheers !
3 people can keep a secret if two of them are dead... Benjamin Franklin
Vorezo
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Vorezo
I have elevator 2, and my friend has Icarus. Lets just say I have an elevator 2 for sale cheap, act fast!!!
Frank Russell
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta Georgia
128 Posts

Profile of Frank Russell
Donkeys and waffles, sometimes it is good to refresh an old thread. This in my opinion is one of those threads. I haven't seen a good Icarus Effect demo. Even Patterson doesn't seem to be comfortable with it. His feet always look deformed when he performs it. Loughran's Elevator was a great idea and Elevator 2 did away with explaining why you were setting up. Now I am hearing a lot about Loughran's One which seems to be the best street effect out there at the moment. Any thoughts?

Hey Vorezo, are you selling your E2 to be able to afford the flip flops? haha
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Icarus Effect vs. Elevator 2 (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL