The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Volunteers to perform in Houston Astrodome... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
When and where are you driving down to. I am in Baton Rouge. If you really come drop me an email.
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
I have contacted the evacuee shelter set up at the D.C. Armory, in Washington, D.C., which is near where I live. Thank you for your responses.
fib
carddealer69
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of carddealer69
I will drop you a line magicbytim. I leave next week. I have to make sure I bring everything I need since there will not be very many places to stay in the area. I'll camp out for a week or two and come back.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I know everyone wants to help in their own way,, but PLEASE please please be sure to contact either the Red Cross, or the local authorities to see if they can use you.
Speaking as someone who has done shelter management through the Red Cross, I can say that if you contact them, and things are settled enough, they may very well say yes, especially to help entertain the children.
A word to those who decide to go, either solo, or through the "regular " organizations, YOU MUST be sure you have everything YOU will need.
YOU MUST take whatever food, water for drinking ans washing, clothes, bedding, fuel for return trip, to support yourself!

Resources are stretched already, and another mouth/body that does not NEED to be there will not be welcome.
As a side note, (since the crabbing about the Red Cross and their asking for money has begun) Did you know that the Red Cross Charter forbids them to take any money from the government?! This is so that they do not have to worry about political issues when giving aid. Further, the Red Cross is bound by their charter to give equally to everyone affected. For this reason, they cannot take donations of used clothes, etc. as they have to give the same- so if you think the other person got a better blanket, or better shoes, there is now a problem. For donations in kind, go through the Salvation Army, St. Vincent, etc.
Kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
carddealer69
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of carddealer69
I am packing everything I need. Good shoes, blankets, everything you mentioned. I got donations from a couple of companies that are helping me make the trip. The local news station wants to do a story on me so I'm bringing my camera. I leave on Monday.
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Evacuation time. Get outta there.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
Jonton
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
336 Posts

Profile of Jonton
Quote:
On 2005-09-18 10:45, fib wrote:
I have contacted the evacuee shelter set up at the D.C. Armory, in Washington, D.C., which is near where I live. Thank you for your responses.
fib

What did you ask, and what did they say. I live very close to DC (Loudoun County, Virginia) and I would absolutely LOVE to perform there. We have a student at our school who just started 3 days ago. He's an evacuee from the New Orleans area. I told him about our ideas and he said that it would be amazing. He was first at the superdome, then the astrodome, then the armory, now hes living with a family that took him and his family in. I would like to contribute!
~Jonton
I Came, I Saw, I Conjured
www.jontaylornyc.com
carddealer69
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of carddealer69
Darnit! Now I can't go because of the other evacuation. Where are they going now? I will go where the people are.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Volunteers to perform in Houston Astrodome... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL