The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » How to get a show together. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Prophet
View Profile
Regular user
Caledonia, NY
184 Posts

Profile of Prophet
Hi all,

I am interested in bulding a low budget comedy show to try out at a local comedy club. I was wondering what you all would suggest. I love Harry Anderson and would most likely being doing some of his material, modified for my own personality, also maybe a little Amazing Jonathan type stuff but What else could I Study?

Smile

Yours In Magic

Mike
Yours In Magic

Mike

Smile
If you are new to Magic check out my article
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=462185&forum=41
Duct Tape is like the Force. It has a dark and a light side and holds the universe together.
martinkaplan
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
562 Posts

Profile of martinkaplan
Mike:

I would suggest that you find a copy of Judy Carter's STAND-UP COMEDY and study it from cover to cover.

-Marty
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
If you are planning on doing some of Harry Anderson's material, may I assume you have cleared it with Harry Anderson, or at least his management company, first?

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Prophet
View Profile
Regular user
Caledonia, NY
184 Posts

Profile of Prophet
Ok Heres the question...What exactly do you need to clear with Harry or his management. If I did a needle through arm I would not think I would need to clear that. Yet if I performed a similar version of cufflinks that may need to be cleared? I am really confused on that whole matter. Smile

Yours In Magic

Mike

Smile
Yours In Magic

Mike

Smile
Duct Tape is like the Force. It has a dark and a light side and holds the universe together.
martinkaplan
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
562 Posts

Profile of martinkaplan
Mike:

If you are constructing an act using commercially available effect that is perfectly fine. If you intend to borrow your presentation of the effects from others that's not okay. The challenge is to come up with your unique presentation.

-Marty
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Needle through arm, Three Card Monarch, Cufflinks and other marketed Anderson effects that you may have purchased...

All of these are sold so that you can perform them. You may do them exactly as written in the instructions, which is how Harry does them--although you will be much more successful if you adapt them to your own persona.

Items that Harry has performed but not marketed, however, are a different thing altogether, and I assume this is what Peter was meaning. Do NOT go out and do the Harry Anderson HBO special trick for trick and word for word. I didn't get that as your intent from your post, but it bears being stated anyway.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Prophet
View Profile
Regular user
Caledonia, NY
184 Posts

Profile of Prophet
Ok I see what you all mean. I got it. you see, I was going to use some of his effects but not his patter, and all the effects are marketed so this would be ok right? Basically I would take his apparatus and use it with my patter/routineing. Smile

Yours In Magic

Mike
Yours In Magic

Mike

Smile
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Right!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Sure, Prophet, that would be just fine.

Now, back at the original post, I don't think there is a simple answer.

Dying, as the actor said, is easy; comedy is hard!

It would all depend on your own type of personality.

If you're 15 years old, doing a routine involving your years in a Tibetan monastery wouldn't be particularly good.

Or, if you are a middle-aged banker (and look it!), doing a slapstick act wouldn't work. (Or maybe it would! Let me think about that!)

Anyhow, you get the idea.

The comedy comes from the persona and the persona comes from within you.

That's about all I can say.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Bengi
View Profile
Veteran user
Georgia
309 Posts

Profile of Bengi
Excellent point, Peter!

Comedy comes from one's personality. A boring person cannot just say one day, "Hey! I think I wanna be funny!"

Some people have the natural ability to make other people laugh. If you are one of those people, you will most likely succeed in the world of comedy. And as with any magic performance, get your routine down to a science before performing it.

Bengi Smile
magiker
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
283 Posts

Profile of magiker
I think the middle aged bank manager would work, if the person is capable of pulling it off.
Sometimes I feel like slapping my bank manager with a stick.
Magiker

Believe in the possibility of the impossible
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Quote:
On 2002-01-02 23:20, martinkaplan wrote:
Mike:
I would suggest that you find a copy of Judy Carter’s STAND-UP COMEDY and study it from cover to cover.
-Marty

Awesome book! Nathan Allen highly recommends it (for what that's worth).
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
Be yourself. Maybe the silliest, dumbest thing you do will go over. I just wouldn't try to be too suav like Lance Burton or to mystic like Blaine. And go slow and pace yourself so they can follow your effect. Good luck.
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Study comedy as suggested above. The magic will come with time.
Stay away from Harry Anderson and Amazing Johnathan stuff. They have seen it and you will look bad duplicating it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » How to get a show together. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL