The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Accepting tips (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
JesterMan
Does that mean if I moved to England I will get better tips, because of my South Philly accent?
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Al,

No.

Best,
James
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
I think I read somewhere about putting something in your confirmation letter about tipping. i.e. that it is not expected, but feel free to do so!

I don't do this, but I do accept a tip when it is offered. Most people pay me by check and they either add it on to the check or give it separately as cash.

I used to accept payment by credit card, but stopped because I never got a tip when they paid by credit card.

Best,
James
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
Al,

I lived in Darby (borough) for a couple years, so know that accent all too well. (Oddly enough, my last place of residence in PA was also near you, in Fairview Village). I can assure you that the purported accent of Rocky, Adrian and the gang will NOT increase tips, unless you can find a place where it sounds 'classy'. Good luck with that! Smile

JM
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
So sounding like Sylvester Stallone only made him rich?
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
Last weekend I was driving out and scratched some fancy car on my way to the show. This was disheartneing because it was a lower paying job I got through an agency.
As I approached the house and saw that it was a very fancy house I had to suppress all negative thoughts about how much more these people could afford. I remembered the words of Anton Zellmann "I decided that every performance I do will be the best performance I can possibly do." Or something to that effect. He of course was saying that in context of getting word of mouth referrals.
So I put on a very high energy performance. This was a crowd of very active 5 to 7 year olds, and I could see that the mom was already exhausted even though the party had only started half an hour earlier.
After the show she told me she was extremely pleased and I also had noticed that she was able to sit down and relax while I took on the demanding crowd of kids. She took out her cheque book and asked how much it was, I said "$160. ..Not including the tip," with a wink. She said of course there'd be a tip! She started filling out the cheque, seemed to change her mind and then crupled it up and re-wrote it for $200.
I must say that was the biggest tip I've gotten so far. (mind you I usually charge about that much for my show).
If you think that's brazen, I'd think it just as brazen as mentioning tips in a booking letter. Which I might start doing too.
Anyway that was also the first time I got a tip when being paid by cheque.
Pizzazz
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
108 Posts

Profile of Pizzazz
I don’t ask for tips when doing a party or event. But if I am working a restaurant doing balloons and table hopping, when I set up the contract with the manager I offer two packages 1) The restaurant pays me X-amount of dollars and I don’t except tips or 2) They pay me an appearance fee (a little less then package 1) and I wear my little badge that says tips accepted. Now I now that a lot of you are going to have mixed feelings on this but believe it or not most managers go for package 2) Now there are a few that say they want the first one because this is a service to there customers.
May all your days be "magic" days
Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
Pizzazz, What percentage or $$ difference is there between package 1) and 2)?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Accepting tips (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL