The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Expanded Shells vs Unexpanded Shells (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
I guess that in the UK, many of us cut our teeth as kids with an unexpanded shell because they were cheaper; normally an old 1d (older, large penny) or a decimal 2p. As neither are milled-edged coins, the inserts look fine. It just made it more difficult to keep track of the reduced diameter coin during performance.

I think the first expanded shell that I saw was in the mid 1980's - it was a U.S. half dollar. Unfortunately, it was very shallow and often slid off the coin it was covering - I wonder whether this is where the initial concept for a Slippery Sam gimmick was generated?

I used to use expanded and non-expanded shells until last Summer. That's when I discovered the Tango T.U.C. and my range of shells went onto ebaY.

For me anyway, the T.U.C. does EVERYTHING that any shell can do - and a whole lot more (given, for example, it's magnetic properties). It's also much easier to handle (with practice), doesn't 'talk' as much as a shell and can be subjected to cleaner handling; e.g. easily thrown around, shown on both sides, etc.
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Expanded Shells vs Unexpanded Shells (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL