The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Cruise line experience (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

diamond
View Profile
Regular user
Serbia & Montenegro
200 Posts

Profile of diamond
I wanted to address all of you who have worked for different cruise lines. Let's exchange experience, let's see what the good and what the bad things about certain cruise lines are. Let's find out which cruise lines have performer friendly policies and which ones are not good to work for. What kind of requirements do they have for the shows (length, type, physical size of the show, illusions or smaller shows, how many shows and how long, etc.) and what benefits you get and what are the lousy things. Also it would be nice to know which cruise lines hire guest entertainers for a certain period of time and which ones hire the fly on acts.

I have worked with Star Cruises and in my previous posts in this forum I have described it a little bit. I loved it it had many pluses and there were a lot of nice things. Unfortunately, this is the only cruise line I have worked for, so I can't compare it to the others. On the other hand side I'm in touch with many perofrmers who work for other cruise lines, so I can get the picture...

Here is some of the facts I know...

Never apply for work with the MSC cruise line (an Italian based cruise line). They have the most luxurious ships, but they treat performers like slaves and they don't pay well. Performers there get the crew status, lousy cabins, full working hours "side" duties and 5-6 shows a week. This one is the worst ne I know of so far.

RCCL is fantastic to work for, as well as Celebrity. As far as I have heard, it is really a blesing from Heavens above to get a contract with any of the 2.

NCL has many things same as Star Cruises but the shows are longer and there is smaller number of shows per week than in Star Cruises (on most of the Star Cruises' ships, magicians perform as a part of a production show and they require 3x5 minues per night 4-6 times a week, while on NCL, magicians usually have their own shows)... Star Cruises prefer illusions, the bigger the better and a large number of them (they had a show with tigers on one of the ships). My assistant and I had separate cabins (this is rare among cruise lines, you mostly have to share a cabin with you assistant whether she's your wife or not) - the best ones onboard...

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about following cruise lines (i don't know anyone who has performed for them):

Holland America
Princess Cruises
Radisson 7 Seas
Happak Lloyd Cruises
Oceania Cruises
Silversea Cruises
Seabourn Cruise Line
Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
800 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
Hi
I have been with Princess for almost six years and have enjoyed them. I have certainly seen many changes since Carnival took over. When I started we got 60% discounts on the bar, we got 25% in the boutiques but that has all gone now. The best thing about being with one company for a long period are the friendships you make (I also met my wife on the Royal Princess) and seeing people move up (other crew members) from crew to officers.
I recently worked with Chip Romero who has been with Princess over 14 years and is a fantastic guy with a great act. Because my act doesn't clash with any other magician (the Charlie Chaplin Comedy Act) I am now working with other magicians on the line which is great for me.
Paul
"life is like a movie ... you write your own ending" - Kermit the Frog

http://www.paulromhanymagic.com

http://www.paulromhany.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Cruise line experience (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL