The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Another Major Rip Off! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Deming
View Profile
New user
Syracuse, NY
5 Posts

Profile of Deming
A good friend of mine, George Robinson of Viking Manufacturing and Collectors Workshop emailed me this morning. Apparently a magician team called Gleason Magic has taken his "Card on Seat" effect down to the mechanical workings and is selling it on his website as "I'm Sitting on It!" Here's the link to Gleason's product area. http://www.gleasonmagic.com/products/ This was created by Chuck Fayne and with the partnership of Rich Bloch produced by Collectors Workshop as "Card on Seat". George has the copyright on this product. This is another blatant example of intellectual property Theft! I am a member of the PEA and IBM and a full time corporate speaker and entertainer. I loathe this trend of stealing an idea, putting a coat of varnish on it and calling it "my own." It's out of control and needs to be stopped.

If you know this Gleason person, please let him know his reputation will most likely suffer from this attempt to make a few bucks.

Deming
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Magic does not YET recognize intellectual property.

Crying foul when a product is duplicated is an okay start, yet it does not get the idea across.

Take the next step folks. You can do it. YOU can find out what the story is from the inventor and marketers and from that choose WHO you wish to offer your business.

Why wait till it's something of yours or someone you know?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
afun14u
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
249 Posts

Profile of afun14u
Since people are so quick to judge now day's I found this post on IBM's Ring 2100 this morning...Hope it will help people to know their are honest magicians and dealers in this world we live in!

The Card on Seat Resolved.

Drear Friends,

I would like to thank you for all your support, suggestions, comments, etc.
regarding the Jumbo Card on Seat situation. All of you helped Greg Gleason
and I come to an agreement that was mutual and beneficial to all parties.
Greg showed great character in his resolve to make things right and what
ever misunderstandings there were have been cleared up. We ask you all to
pass the word that the situation is resolved and that Greg Gleason and I are
in complete agreement. I found Greg to be a gentleman and a very talented
performer and wish only the best for him and his family.

Sincerely,
George Robinson Jr.
Collectors' Workshop
9-16-05
Empowering Kingdom Growth through Evangelistic Entertainment!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-09-17 09:48, afun14u wrote:
Since people are so quick to judge now ...

What, specifically, does that notice say about the item and whether or not it is a copy of an existing item?

What, specifically, distinguishes the items and are they both still available?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I saw Karrel Fox do this effect in his lecture many years ago. There was no mechanical chair needed-it was a simple sleight and a force. I can't believe people are paying hundreds of dollars for a mechanical chair to do this beautifully simple routine! I guess the old saying is true, the one about a fool and his money.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
I can't imagine sleight hand method can produce the effect which is as effective as the mechanical method produces.

Hideo Kato
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Guys,
I am afraid nothing can be done...Believe or not a jerk from Iran even has stolen my name. I had applied to IBM and made many correspondences but got no result. He even puts advertisements in the LINKING RING magazine and nobody stops him. His original name was TURA and he converted his name into TORA after he learned that I was more known. Even Bill Palmer tried to help me but no result upto know...
I am afraid since I could not save my name, it will be even difficult to save an idea alone.
Sorry, my post is not so much hope giving.
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
One start to saving your name is to become a member of Equity, the actors and performers union. I'm a member of Equity UK and I had to change my name because it was too similar to someone else who was already a member.

I know it won't completely solve the problem, but it is a start.

Roslyn
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Another way to preserve your name is to file an international Servicemark on it. This is like a trademark, but it applies specifically to a name as I understand it. That way, if someone tries to cop your name, you CAN file legal action against them, all the way up to the World Court and make it stick, from what my legal advisors tell me. Check with a licensed attorney in your area to get the details as to how to go about this.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Wayne Hackler
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of Wayne Hackler
Lee, I'm always amazed at what a fountain of truly useful knowledge you are. If no one else ever gives you the recognition you deserve, I will. Good on ya!
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Lee, I have to agree with Wayne, you have shown me in the past absolute creativity, knowledge in the magical arts and otherwise!

Lee has my absolute 2 thumbs up!

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Oh come on, guys, you'll turn my pretty head! LOL

Honest, this isn't all that hard to pick up on after 37 years of beating your head against the wall, dealing with idiots in court and flamewars on alt.hypnosis! Honest!

But thank you both for your very, very kind words. I really am embarrassed by the flattery.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Kazato-san... sleight of hand for either method is the force. Dropping a card on the chair as you help someone to sit, to me, is far easier than worry about mechanical chair. Less to carry to shows too.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Heckuva lot cheaper, as well!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2005-10-06 05:06, TORA wrote:
Believe or not a jerk from Iran even has stolen my name. I had applied to IBM and made many correspondences but got no result. He even puts advertisements in the LINKING RING magazine and nobody stops him.

I'm sorry to hear that Tora. But this explains my confusion regarding the other TORA and products offered by him. I thought YOU suddenly surfaced with a few products.

I think I'll come up with an undesirable stage name for future use. Hey it'll be unforgetable and no one will want it.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
I know that no one asked me but the video of the performance is pretty boring - especially for the money. I like Wayne Dobson's You are the magician as far as effects that allow the spec to be the magician.

It's much more entertaining.

John
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Quote:
On 2005-10-20 00:15, RandyStewart wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that Tora. But this explains my confusion regarding the other TORA and products offered by him. I thought YOU suddenly surfaced with a few products.

I think I'll come up with an undesirable stage name for future use. Hey it'll be unforgetable and no one will want it.

Is this the Tora that sells apparatus for dove magic?
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Another Major Rip Off! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL