The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Comedy or Serious? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SanCho14jfm
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
244 Posts

Profile of SanCho14jfm
This isn't on the illusion in general, but I thought it applied to this forum.

In a stage show what do you guys find to be more effective, if you perform a killer routine using a lot of comedy, the audience laughing the entire time and being amazed at the end? or Performing an illusion to beautiful instrumentals,looking more a piece of art than a magic trick. With the same reaction at the end, the audience being amazed?

Which do you perfer and why?
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Kohl & Company vs David Copperfield, One I am amazed and the other I laugh so hard, tears come down my eyes. The comedy I remember the seriousness of Copperfield, I have to think hard to remember.

I love'em both, but a great comedy is worth it's weight in gold.
Dennis Michael
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
I would agree with Den, people tend to remember comedy!

I personally use comedy and rarely use anything serious. that's because I feel that comedy keeps everyone off center and not really knowing what to expect. I know that as magicians we should keep everyone on the edge of thier seats but there is something to be said when you can keep people on edge by laughing soo hard!

Robert Long
Caveat Lector
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Caveat Lector
I would agree, to a degree with the others. I love to make people laugh and I use the fact of what I look like to do that. I come out all serious and then I start to make fun of myself and do a lot of comedy. But, I also have parts of the show that use some serious routines. I like to keep people on a roller coaster of emotions, from making them freaked out, to amazement, to unstoppable laughter. I like to touch on them all so they never know what is coming next.
Corrupting the art of magic, one show at a time
www.underworldent.com
www.myspace.com/johnshawcomedymagic
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
I agree with the above. A comedy act with magic interlaced is far more entertaining to the majority of the audiences than the best serious entertainer that basically says "Look at me and what I can do". The only truely disappointing magic act I ever personally experienced had way too much dancing and non magical moments so I tend to avoid that pitfall in my shows.

Comedy and laughter helps people escape their worries and loosen up. Because of this fact, it tends to me more memorable in my opinion.
Dutch illusionist
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
96 Posts

Profile of Dutch illusionist
Maybe it's a stupid question but how can you perform a funny subtrunk routine or something like that? Smile
Magical greetings,

Dutch illusionist
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
Basic Comedy sub trunk: one person, in convict garb is put in trunk but police person (use ball and chain on leg, Keystone Kops type byplay), do the usual swap, but possibly change outfits as well.

Or do it in mocking seriousness, male and female swich places, but their costumes don't - gender humor.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
My first mentor was my grandfather, Howard Brooks. He was entirely comedic. He used to say there's nothing as serious as creating comedy. I turned out to be a serious performer.

He saw me perform once and afterwards told me, "Oh well, it ain't funny - but at least its MAGIC." As he turned his back I heard him mutter, "...sort of."
Farrell
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Farrell
IMO it's best to have a lot of comedy but also to take a few things in your act seriously in order to Jar the pace of your program and let people realize that you as a person also have things that you love and enjoy doing. Read Maximum Entertainment. This book will tell you a lot about the comedy to serious magic ratio. I believe a show is far more substatial and entertaining by combining both the comedic and serious artistic magic at different points in the show. Just be sure what you are doing fits who you are.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Shakespear said to use comedy to introduce drama and drama to introduce comedy.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
The best comedy can always have that heart-felt moments and the best plays have their comical moments. Yes a good mix works well.

Good comedy is hard to do! Anybody for a vanishing watermelon, and I don't mean the sledge-a-matic method!
:)
Dennis Michael
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
You can do a show without being serious, but you can't do a show without being funny. Even Copperfield has his funny lines.

I'm a serious performer, but I spent some time in comedy clubs because I know that comedy is important no matter what type of show you do.

JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
MaGiShN46
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of MaGiShN46
I disagree that people don't remember non-comedy magic as well because I do my kicker ending big time illusion serious and rest of show is comedy. But it stands out because of the seriousness I think!
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
Awww Den, what is wrong with Smash-O-Matic?

Now here is an idea, you do a vanishing watermelon that starts out like the old vanishing radio (cloth over item, item lifted up with cloth, "throw item", yank empty cloth in air), but you somehow swich the real watermelon for a fake sponge melon, "throw" it right at the edge of the stage, so it looks like someone has a melon coming at them. Don't do to little old ladies or people with bladder control issues.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2005-09-16 15:01, DenDowhy wrote:
The best comedy can always have that heart-felt moments and the best plays have their comical moments. Yes a good mix works well.

Good comedy is hard to do! Anybody for a vanishing watermelon, and I don't mean the sledge-a-matic method!
:)

Dennis obviously has not seen my Bubba Whodini cut and restored watermelon routine.

In New York just this week during Lucy's three ring routine, I and others with the show thought that a man in the audience was going to join her and dance with her on stage. There was only the music and her linking ring routine but Lucy has been a very serious lifetime ballet dancer. She had him hooked on the "magic rings" within a minute of being on stage. She was very seriously doing absurd things with solid metal rings that linked and unlinked to the music.

It was highbrowed music and movement with intellectually ridiculous outcomes. Mouths were gapped open and heads tilted but no one was laughing. It was generically a very old magic trick most of the people in the room had seen many times before but not as a serious art form. It was the presentation and not the hardware. It set the expectation in the room for the rest of the show.

The rest of the show was essentially comedy. However, the audience recognized that serious magic was behind it. There is absolutely no reason not to make both work hard for you.

(BTW --- They expect us back for another week in two years!)

My favorite scene from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is when they get trapped and outgunned in the mountain rocks and have to jump to the river below. One (Robert Redford) admits that he would rather stand his ground there and fight to a certain death than jump. He could not swim. The other (Paul Newman) laughed at him and said, "Swim? Hell the fall's going to kill you!" They jumped. And the movie was far from over.

Use them both (seriousness and comedy) for all you can get from them. Entertaining with magic is a theatrical feeling experience for the audience. Give them the ride of a lifetime. They are safe in their chairs and living through you. Go for it!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Comedy or Serious? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL