The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » That guy on the TV guide channel.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
...I mean, come on, through all my studies on hypnosis, I've never come across any information that even for a moment lead me to believe such profound states of trance are possible.

I know a bit about stage hypnosis, and I've learned that, in part, the volunteer is feeding into the frenzy, and thus participating...s/he is on "stage" and now has a chance to really let go as it were. in this situation, they are also more apt to listen to everything the hypnotist says, not wanting to make themselves neither the said hypnotist look foolish (ironically).

I also know about both stoo*** and "instant" stoo***, and of these and the aforementioned statements, the answer seems to lie therein.

OR

This man has studied something I never thought was a "reality" or a twisting thereof.

so....

seriously my jaded mentalists, and hypnotists alike...Does hypnosis go this far, without the above mentioned aids??

Please give a hand here, I am all too used to this part of the forums snide remarks, and sarcastic replies for some in need....so be kind will ya? Just looking for further teachings and enlightenment.
thanks ahead!

~Gede
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Check out Penn and Teller. They have a show on Hypnotism in their BS series.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You would do better to find a less biased sourse than Penn and Teller. You would also do better to find a less biased sourse than a stage hypnotist.

It comes to one of two things. Either you believe or you don't. Period.

If your looking for opinions they are like noses. Everyone has one. Problem is nobody can really back up their opinion with scientific facts. We each quote psudo-science, but really nobody has the definite answer.

So gather from sources other than the snide remarks and backbiting here and form an opinion of your own.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
880 Posts

Profile of e-man
Yea, what he said.
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Beautiful Danny, thanks, that's what I've been going with the last 2 years of study...

and Slim, thanks for the heads up...will be in touch...

Wow! my head didn't get bitten off! LOL
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
What's wrong with Penn and Teller? They are just trying to get to the bottom of things too.
Gather opinions from all fronts. Everything is not black or white. No need to be forced into a snap judgment. Keep an open mind...Listen to the sound of my voice...you are getting relaxed...close your eyes and think of a sandy beach in Florida...LOL
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
880 Posts

Profile of e-man
Hey, How did I end up here? I was in Arkansas, in the "Pick a card" section of the Café. And then I heard this guys voice, and now I'm on some sandy beachin Florida. Wow this stuff is great.
Thank You Dude.
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Anyone else?
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Gede it really depends on who you ask and what their abilities are.
I mean, no disrespect, but most of the guys in here don't do hypnosis, or have looked at it and put it down, or have really tried only to find they simply didn't possess the necessary arrows in their quiver (I know that's deep, but that's the kinda' guy I am).
And then there's the rest of us... hypnotists and bona fide hypnotherapists who quite simply have placed thousands in this 'state' totally unrecognised by these lesser mortals.
Now I'm either telling you a truth or you may believe I'm bluffing.
But because there are six main facts with regard to this great art, you have to ask yourself whether over the last few threads I have released all six of these to you and these 'magicians', or only five.
And considering that this art is probably the most powerful force in the world the question you have to ask yourself is...
'Do I feel lucky?'
Well punk? (punk is Gaelic for Gede by the way)
... do ya?

Bobser
P.S. I do hope someone is writing this stuff down because it's excellent!
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Pasq
View Profile
Elite user
Lance Rench-Hausen.
417 Posts

Profile of Pasq
Gede, sort your 'location' out, we're not brothers. P.

"Bobser", can I call you that?, I'm writing it all down on a napkin tucked into my shirt. I look like a fool but the napkin will be kept and looked at in the future for its riches.
- No sarcasm. Love.
Pasq. Yeah!

Yeah!!
Sparrow in a barrow.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Quote:
On 2005-09-23 02:10, Slim King wrote:
What's wrong with Penn and Teller? They are just trying to get to the bottom of things too.
Gather opinions from all fronts. Everything is NOT black or white. No need to be forced into a snap judgment. Keep an open mind...Listen to the sound of my voice....you are getting relaxed....close your eyes and think of a sandy beach in Florida.....LOL

Penn and teller need to put themselves in a position of being exposers. that's what they do. The more popular the subject they expose the better they appear on TV. I think they are talented magicians/performers but their exposing stance stinks. Its an easy sell.

I don't think they expose hypnosis because it is real without a doubt. If you have done enough shows you would know it...its easy to create a show that supposedly claims its not real. But try performing regularly and fooing the public with fake hypnosis. Trust me you wouldn't last very long.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
I'm glad we've settled this, and that we've established hypnosis is real without a doubt. Now, if someone would just go out and collect all the money that's out there being offered to anyone who can prove the existence of a hypnotic state, the naysayers could be quieted down quickly.
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
Hey Scott,

I have not seen the money being offered for proof of trance state.

Jim
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have never seen money offered either.

I am not sure I have seen scientific undisputed proof of it either. Although I believe there is evidence personally. A huge difference

Penn and Teller need to take a certian position for entertainment value. They choose exposure and really go over the top. They have a stake in it is all I am saying. They are entertaining and there is no doubt, but they have a bias is all I am saying.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
698 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
There is indeed empirical evidence pointing to the existence of a hypnotic state that is materially dissimilar from conscious awareness. In particular are recent studies using fMRI and PET showing conscious control of otherwise non-conscious processes, things that cannot be duplicated by pretending or imagining/visualizing them; they must be induced by trance.

The problem with monetary rewards for proof of hypnosis is that they are largely settled in court. Legal definitions and testimony vary substantially from psychological and scientific definition. In Psychology, there are no absolutes. In Law, however, things must be clear; guilty or not guilty, right or wrong, yes or no. Extremely difficult in the case of hypnosis because the various markers differ in people. Some people feel dissociation, some don't. Some people remember, some don't.

Law, however, is funny in that courts have indeed acknowledged the existence of hypnosis in various sexual abuse cases (more information at http://www.imbre.org/learning.html).
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Thanks, that is excellent information...

I am training in psychology, and of hypnosis they talk about the blurred lines of definition, and also attribute much of "TV/STAGE hypnosis as unreal, for lack of a better word...

Either way, this and any other phenomena, begins and ends within the boundless mind.
triadsong
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
170 Posts

Profile of triadsong
Quick point re: the money for proving hypnosis exists, check out Kreskin. He used to mention carrying around a teller's check already to sign over if he found proof.

Peace,
Vin
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Wasn't Kreskin the Worlds Youngest Hypnotist, at one time?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » That guy on the TV guide channel.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL