The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Applying Linking Ropes Gimmick to Fiber Optics (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jonton
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
336 Posts

Profile of Jonton
For those of you who own both Linking Ropes and Richard Sanders' Fiber Optics, do you think it would be a good idea to apply the linking ropes gimmick to the Fiber Optics moves? I think it would make things a little more visual, it would add a little more weight to the ropes which is typically a good thing, I could be much more free with the way I hold the ropes, and if I install the gimmicks well, the ropes could still be examined (just not all at the same time). I know I'm kinda answering my own question, but has anyone really tried this? Opinions and suggestions are more than welcome.
Thanks...
~Jonton
I Came, I Saw, I Conjured
www.jontaylornyc.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Peter Gloviczky, through Tenyo, sold the best version and incorporated the M*****s.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
See I'm looking to get Fiber Optics but never really played with ropes. Sorry to stray from your question but where can I get the ropes required to do with this DVD?
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Jonton

Not all linking rope effects use gimmicked ropes. In another thread(search on linking rope) I gave a brief description of about 3 different non-gimmicked linking rope effects. Certainly the gimmicked ropes would be easier to work with.

For what its worth, I have the "Anytime Anywhere Linking Ropes". Maybe I need to practice more, but the effect takes more effort/time to do than using a gimmicked set of ropes. The first phase is comparable to how you would use gimmicked ropes, and you could unlink them quickly. The second phase, the ropes are truly linked, and you would need to untie them to unlink them.

As far as combining with FO, I suppose it depends on how you routine it.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
I don't think so... I love FO and I am against gimicks of any sort for many reasons at least in this routine, there is no need for them.
Jonton
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
336 Posts

Profile of Jonton
Pete, those are the gimmicks that I was thinking about installing in my ropes, just so everyone is clear.

Paisa, pretty much any rope can be used in the routine, but since its a no-cut routine, you can afford to buy high quality rope without the risk of having to keep buying it. Richard uses 10mm Elite Magicians Rope from Camirand Magic. It's very heavy, thick, soft, and bright white. Having a somewhat thick, heavy rope for this routine is best. This type of rope also allows you to tuck the ends of the rope in to prevent fraying without taping the ends and it also gives you a better grip at the ends of the rope. I must be honest and say that I cant speak from experience, I'm too cheap to buy the expensive stuff (I'm on a unemployed high schooler's budget). I actually purchased a very cheap rope from Walmart that is thick, heavy, and very soft. It cost me about 4 bucks to make 2 sets of Professors Nightmare. The Camirand rope is about $12 for 10 meters of 7mm rope and $30 for 10 meters of the 10mm rope.

Daegs, I'm not usually one to incoorperate gimmicks into my effects, but I find this to be more of a utility rather than a gimmick. I also see that there is no NEED for them, but it's one of those little additions that mean pretty much nothing to laymen, but can knock a magician dead. I still need a little more practice in making my hands look natural when I do it, but it still hits laymen hard. As for my magician friends, they have advised me that I'm not adding enough cover and that even though laymen havent seen anything, it is STILL visible.

Thanks for everyones response, it's been a help.
~Jonton
www.jontaylornyc.com
Ronnie Ramin
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Ronnie Ramin
Check out Kenners rope routine in his book "Out Of Control" for a routine along these lines.

Ronnie
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-09-27 15:23, paisa23 wrote:
See I'm looking to get Fiber Optics but never really played with ropes. Sorry to stray from your question but where can I get the ropes required to do with this DVD?

Quote:
On 2005-09-27 20:26, Jonton wrote:

Paisa, pretty much any rope can be used in the routine, but since its a no-cut routine, you can afford to buy high quality rope without the risk of having to keep buying it. Richard uses 10mm Elite Magicians Rope from Camirand Magic. It's very heavy, thick, soft, and bright white. Having a somewhat thick, heavy rope for this routine is best. This type of rope also allows you to tuck the ends of the rope in to prevent fraying without taping the ends and it also gives you a better grip at the ends of the rope. I must be honest and say that I cant speak from experience, I'm too cheap to buy the expensive stuff (I'm on a unemployed high schooler's budget). I actually purchased a very cheap rope from Walmart that is thick, heavy, and very soft. It cost me about 4 bucks to make 2 sets of Professors Nightmare. The Camirand rope is about $12 for 10 meters of 7mm rope and $30 for 10 meters of the 10mm rope.

~Jonton

Paisa23,

The Camirand rope is an excellent choice. And, if you don't want to buy the rope and "roll your own", just buy (from Camiran Magic) the Richard Sander's "Three Ropes and a Baby" effect. It comes with the printed instructions And THE 3 ROPES ALREADY MADE UP in the Camirand Elite Magic rope. That said, I find these ropes to be just a trifle bit short for the entire Fiber Optics rope routine--although it can be done with these ropes. BTW, the TRAAB effect is about 70% of the Fiber Optice routine and it helps to have the DVD to more cleatly understand the moves and the timing and the handling.

IMHO, Fiber Optics is a "must have" if you perform rope magic--or if you want to get into rope magic. That said, this routine does not teach anything any ring on/off effects nor does it teach any of the basic rope magic (like that on the 3 volume DVD "Daryl's Rope Magic" set. Think of "Fiber Optics" as "professor's Nighmare" on steroids.

Hope this helps.

Mike

P.S. If you don't wish to buy the (32 foot?) hank of Camirand's Elite rope, you can purchase a bigger hank of the slightly smaller (in diameter) rope from Camirand for less money. Both are excellent ropes.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Lloyd McDonald
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Lloyd McDonald
When I first witnessed Fiber Optics the first thing that came to mind was I was witnessing a new twist on the linking rope gimmick.

What made me a believer was finding the ropes were not gimmicked. That's when the real magic began.

Fiber Optics contains the essentials for an astounding performance without the addition of a gimmick. What could be simpler? Guess the way I think if its not broken don't fix it.
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Is the 3/8" soft cored sufficient for the effects on fiber optics?
Jonton
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
336 Posts

Profile of Jonton
Jonnyb, it's not really that the rope is "sufficient" for the effects, it's whether it's sufficient for you and your presentation. 3/8" is rather thin for what is good with this routine. It's best to have a somewhat thick and heavy rope because you will need the added weight since you are litterally throwing and tossing the rope at many points. You don't want something thin for this. You also want it heavy so it will easily drop and straighten out as it is manipulated. Thin rope tends to get twisted up and it doesn't always want to cooperate. Also, if you are doing a parlor/stage style show, you want a thick rope to be visible. You will also notice that Richard himself uses a thick white rope with a dark stage background while wearing all black clothing. This REALLY allows the rope to stand out while he is teaching/performing.

Again, this is all personal preference. If you like working with thin, lightweight rope, then go for it. I, as with many others who perform those effects, prefer thicker rope.
Hope this helps...
~Jonton
www.jontaylornyc.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Applying Linking Ropes Gimmick to Fiber Optics (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL