The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Another Derren Brown thread! And why not? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
702 Posts

Profile of The Paranormalist
All I can really say about last nights marathon E4 showing of Derren’s Mind Control was excellent, over three hours of pure pleasure. The more you see of Derren’s artistry, the more you want to see. Although without having any thoughts or wish to copy his demonstrations this is the way mentalism should be heading, not having to resort to using unnecessary props or gimmicks. I for one want to see more of the same.
:cuteangel: Heavenly

The Paranormalist
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
375 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
Derren probably uses more gimmicks than you realise. However as this topic has been done to death I shall say no more!

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
The above is all rubbish, except that which you chose to believe
The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
702 Posts

Profile of The Paranormalist
Yes Kris,
I agree some aspects of Derren's performance has been done to death, mainly the lack of knowledge of some 'mentalists!'. But the gimmicks I am refering to are for instance, the lack of Derren's long windedness in the accomplisment of various demonstrations. All for the betterment (If there is such a word) of our art. You know the ones I mean, not having to roll dice, add up spots, use playing cards, just to find one word in a book and such like, everything that has given mentalism a bad name in the past, for being too long winded and drawn out. It dose'nt matter what pre-show work goes on behind the scenes, It's what the viewing audience see in the finality of it all.
It also must be said the more good Mentalism
etc, even John Edward and his like, anything paranormal, is seen on television can only be a good thing for the rest of us who make a living by performing for the public in whatever capacity.

The Paranormalist
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
I saw the last two shows and can only say hes getting better and better. What a great show. There isn't anyone around that comes near him at the moment.
brownbomber
View Profile
Regular user
Edinburgh
156 Posts

Profile of brownbomber
The Mind Control night was a real treat.

Apart from the fantastic new material - it was also great to see what a skilled performer he is in the related disciplines of pickpocketing and card sleights etc.

With the purer mentalism material, at times it's frustrating how much TV editing you know is going on.

He's the true master of flannel - the pre-effect monologues to lead the viewers up the garden path.

BB Smile
promethee
View Profile
Regular user
France
125 Posts

Profile of promethee
Can someone post a review ?
La fleur de l'illusion produit le fruit de la realite.
Steve Knight
View Profile
Elite user
Oxford U.K.
479 Posts

Profile of Steve Knight
I have to admit that I never thought I'd see the day when I contributed to a thread on Derren Brown having become sick of them both here and in other magic forums, but after last night's Mind Control programmes it hard to see how mentalism could get any better than this.
GothicBen
View Profile
Veteran user
England
353 Posts

Profile of GothicBen
I agree, Derren certainly has streamlined a lot of mentalistic effects, for TV. His books, Pure Effect, and Absolute Magic contain his thoughts on the matter (especially Absolute Magic!).

Sad thing is, that just becuase Corinda did it one way in the 50s, mentalists have sometimes taken this to be set in stone, or been so enamoured of the method they neglect the "effect".

I for one have totally redesigned my mentalism after seeing Derren. I have not copied his style or effects, but taken the philosophy behind it, to create the most convincing presentations I can, where possible.

If it means ejecting a method or effect that does not contribute to the overall image of "pure mindreading", then so be it.

Anyway, let's not make this another 50 posts plus, thread, eh?

Enough, already!
Bruno
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Bruno
I'm so glad that some people are recognising the value of Derrens high profile presence as a contributory factor towards the elevation of our art into the public consciousness.We need this type of exposure and should welcome Derrens rise to fame as a calling card for us all. Being as this is the mentalists section of the forum I don't fully understand how or why some can tire of discussions of such quality demonstrations of mentalism by this expert showman. I say keep the threads going and capitalise and build on what DB does.
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
I was watching this with a qualified and experienced scientist and was astonished at how readily she accepted Derren's explanations. It seemed churlish to disilluion her (so I didn't). An absolutely superb show.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
The Pianoman
View Profile
Veteran user
Lliving in Scotland.
345 Posts

Profile of The Pianoman
Did any of you gentlemen happen to tape the show?
I could not get anyone in the UK to tape it for me but would love to see it if anyone would be so kind to contact me.

Regards Alan
Lee Davies
View Profile
Regular user
Derby, England
136 Posts

Profile of Lee Davies
The best bits for me was Mr Brown's links between each programs - they really made me laugh.

Mind you, the programs didn't show what most of us dicuss on the boards i.e. coin guess, book test, ESP match?

All in all, very good entertainment.

Smile
I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Another Derren Brown thread! And why not? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL