The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Jake's Back! ....from the Grave...... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I was just hired to do a birthday party as "Jake Blues"...not singing, but performing/sharing Mysteries from The Great Beyond. It's the same weekend as most of the Halloween parties, but no one will be in costume other than myself and my assistant from the Nunnery, Sister X ( Name withheld at nuns request). It's a birthday party for people from the 40 to 50 YOA range.
Jake has been brought out of Purgatory with the Magical Monkey's Paw. It's a contained party of 50 or 60 big wigs from the entertainment industry. I have plenty of rehearsal time and I can also perform/rehearse these effects on a live audience at work. It's two hours long, so a standard type walk around won't work too well. It's also a surprise party so pre-setting props might be a little tricky. ( Sister X might help). I'll be doing a whole lot of different effects.
Question: What Bizarre effects that involve a group (DoccHilford???) type of effects would you recommend?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Slim, with the party at the end of this month, now probably isn't the time to work up a lot of new stuff. My suggestion: reexamine what you already know, and think about ways to spin the presentations.

Best of luck,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I am doing just that, but I'd like to add an effect or two involving a group. As I say I DO have enough time, IMHO, since my schedule is very open, and I work with performers who help me rehearse on a daily basis. If it isn't right I would never try it live. I PROMISE!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1421 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Slim, one of the best effects you can do involving a group and one you can learn fairly quick is in Mind Myth and Magic. It's called Mutarot. It is a group tarot reading involving psychometry to reveal the identity of two cards per each person. The readings are not drawn out and are brief. This plays big. Pm me for more on this.
John
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
A couple of the effects on Max's DVD's are good as well - Kurotsuki and one based on the Galbraith principle (a thing of terrifying beauty) where the spectator freely chooses a card and you read their mind. Looks amazing. It just works it is weird!
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Quote:
On 2005-10-07 12:30, johnjnesbit wrote:
Slim, one of the best effects you can do involving a group and one you can learn fairly quick is in Mind Myth and Magic. It's called Mutarot. It is a group tarot reading involving psychometry to reveal the identity of two cards per each person. The readings are not drawn out and are brief. This plays big. Pm me for more on this.
John

Forgive me, but this effect requires a large layout of cards on a horizontal surface. This could pose a significant visibility problem for a group of 50 to 60 people. Don't get me wrong -- I like the effect (and have suggested it for informal social occasions), but for a paid gig where you need to keep things fast and strong, I really don't see it.

I do agree with the sentiment that psychometry effects can be good audience involvers. Most of them use a number of audience participants and can engage the whole crowd if presented well. For example, Osterlind has a very strong blindfolded psychometry routine in his Stainless Steel Blindfold Manual, which involves borrowed objects from the audience.

But whatever you do, think about how and why the heck Jake would present it. We can list effects till the cows come home.

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Quote:
On 2005-10-07 17:35, Necromancer wrote:
But whatever you do, think about how and why the heck Jake would present it. We can list effects till the cows come home.

Very true. Kurotsuke with Beer Bottle Caps.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Hey Red
That's the spirit! The party is in a house so I don't think that I'll be in front of more then 10 or so people at a time as they congregate around the home. I do have MMM and the Max Maven video. I can drink a few more types of beer too.
Neil
I agree that these effects must "Fit In" with the character. After returning from Purgatory, would Jake have a deeper insight into the Tarot? VooDoo? The House of Blues is filled with a multitude of religious immagery. What does a Monkey Paw Zombie bring to the table?
Thanks
Dave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Jake's Back! ....from the Grave...... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL