The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Magic under the microscope (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
831 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
A very interesting article on how the brain reacts to magic.
It would be very interesting to conduct the same experment using
the kind of magic many on this forum employ. Enjoy...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/feature/s......,00.html

Dave
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
One of the authors, Kuhn is a magician and can be reached at his faculty position.

There is a thread on this subject elsewhere on the café.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=27
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
831 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
Thanks Jonathan. I missed this the first time around and didn't realize that it was old news. I would, however, still love to see the same experement conducted at -- for example -- a seance. If given a context for the happening, would the brain react the same way? What about the absence of the "how did he do that" phase? Interesting stuff.

Dave
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Cool Dave, and yes, fast MRI or PET scans are going to be a HUGE thing in cognitive psychology research.

There are citations around for findings that when a certain part of the brain is stimulated by a magnet field, the subject has a subjective experience of "significance". One might go looking for other areas which elicit deep sentimental experiences.

I wonder what part of the brain fires up when kids look at clowns up close?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Don't know if this relates to the topic, but "haunted houses" are due to extremely "bad wiring" of the electrical wires inside the house, and HEAVY presence of granite (sp?).

apparently the "magnetic field" caused by these two messes up your brain and gets you to "experience" spooky and paranormal activities....
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Magic under the microscope (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL