The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Advice on a stage name (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Doughlas
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
173 Posts

Profile of Doughlas
Thanks for all the suggestions. The issue I have with my last name is no 2 people pronounce it the same way. So I'm thinking of using my middle name...and a mixup of my first name with a letter added. I've come with Paul Shadows. I think that would work well with Mentalism.
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Douglas-dini

doug-a-chek

Douglas osterlind

Doug Highley

Douglas and roy

Doug Burton

Doug Henning

Doug the Great

Ching ling Doug

Douglas Copperfield

....take your pick, and don't give me the credit, just enjoy Smile
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Seems we're all happy with Kevilus. The human condition being what itn is however means that you'll probably now pick... 'Dougie.
Or why not... 'Devilus'?

Bobser,
ps: I just use Bob cos my memory stinks.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Gabor
View Profile
Veteran user
Pécel, Hungary
367 Posts

Profile of Gabor
I think Kevilus has won. I vote for it, too. Smile

Regards,
Gábor
"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright
Don McCleod
View Profile
Veteran user
Coulsdon
360 Posts

Profile of Don McCleod
You come on here asking for suggestions, the majority favour 'Kevilus' but you decide on Paul Shadows???? Amazing how the human mind works.
Matt Andrews
View Profile
Loyal user
Switzerland
219 Posts

Profile of Matt Andrews
My last two cents on this matter:

I think that nowadays too "strong" stage names (like superhero names) can have a negative effect, and for doughlas "Kevilus" seems to me stronger than "Shadows"..

For Graemesd I like a name which ends with "Oliver" and "Graeme Oliver" is my favourite. And for those who are not used to the old spelling "Graham Oliver" is fine as well Smile

Sincerely, Matt
Veteran user
Coulsdon
360 Posts

Profile of Don McCleod
I suppose you could always shave your head, get a white persian cat, a mandarin collar suit and call yourself Dr Kevil.
Doughlas
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
173 Posts

Profile of Doughlas
Well since my last name seems to be getting an overwhelming response...my next question would be, how to get it pronounced the correct way. I'm sure everyone on this board that has read it is saying it differently.
Tom DV
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of Tom DV
Well that's the great part!

People will ask themselves how it should be pronounced, ask others how they think it should be said and then ask you for the correct pronunciation. They'll repeat your name in their heads and out loud a good few times and they won't forget it.

Tom.
Don McCleod
View Profile
Veteran user
Coulsdon
360 Posts

Profile of Don McCleod
I'll take a stab in the dark and say it's pronounced 'kevil-us' to rhyme with 'devil-us'. Am I correct? I can't see it being pronounced any other way to be honest.
Tom DV
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of Tom DV
I was thinking of Ke (sounding like the 'ke' in Kenton) vil (like 'veel') and us (as in the word 'us').

How is it said really, Doughlas?
Matt Andrews
View Profile
Loyal user
Switzerland
219 Posts

Profile of Matt Andrews
All right, I know I wrote it was my last two cents on this post already. Well, nobody's perfect (well, I know I'm not Smile ).

I agree with Tom with the "Ke" and the "us" sounds. I would pronounce the "vil" with a shorter "i" (like "tIll") and I would also stress the first syllable. So my favourite name would be "Paul KEvilus".

Sincerely, Matt

P.S. Doughlas, I'm also interested how you pronouce your last name
Regular user
Northern California
173 Posts

Profile of Doughlas
Matt,
You got it right. So that kind of proves my point about how there are several ways people think you should say it. By the way before anyone asks, it comes from Lithuania. The original spelling was Kievilius - before my Great, great, grandfather changed it when he came over.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
To make a long story longer -

Kevilus (K as in Kevlar--- I as in ill and --us as an we) will also work as a pre qualifier for folks who want to look for evil everywhere.......(Puritans burning witches come to mind -- but that is the topic area above this one.)

My stage name is C. H. Mara My real name is Gregory Walter George Chmara according to the Catholic Church Gregory Walter Chmara according to the Mormons and mud by many other people who find I am an atheist.

By splitting up my last name to C. H. (modern, exec sounding, or at least difficult or inefficent names hidden by initials) and Mara:

Sounds Irish as in O'Mara
Is Russian as in Mara
Mistaken Italian is in Mara - nara.
Sounds slightly Asian

And most important of all -- Mara is the demon who tempted Siddhartha with entertainment and refreshement.

GC
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Advice on a stage name (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL