The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » The ethics of "parting out" an item (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-10-20 19:25, XXXXXXXXX wrote:
If you have no interest in the MXXXX CXXXXXX, do not buy it for the additional effects. Its too much money, even just for Impossibler. While I do use the MXXXX CXXXXXX effectively when I perform, I don't like the quality of the props and do not believe that $45 is the right price point. I wish it was better. Check ebay regularly for someone selling thiers. In fact, I think somebdy is selling one here at the Café. I would pay $15 tops, personally, because two of the bonus card tricks are decent.

The above quote got me thinking.

I'd be interested in purchasing this item for the Impossibler effect. I'm not really interested in the MXXXX CXXXXXX effect at all. Raises an potentially interesting ethical question about "parting out" an effect or item that can be broken down into its component parts. Similar to how auto salvage yards sell autombile parts off of a junked automobile.

Is this possibly analogous to buying a beginning magic kit for one or two of the effects in the box and selling the rest (at a reduced price) and clearly stating the sale as "missing the one or two parts" you keep?

Is this possibly analogous to buying a magic book, reading it thoughly and memorizing every effect in the book and then re-selling the book?

The ethics of "parting out" portions of an item really has me thinking about the concept and the implications. Preliminarily, I guess what really has me thinking that the practice might be ethical is the concept that a person can re-sell an entire DVD or book and many (but not all) magicians consider it ethically O.K. to continue performing and using any of the information he gleaned from his legitimate ownership of the item. (Same issue as borrowing a book from a friend, reading it and learning from it and then returning the book to the lender?)

Your thoughts on this "parting out" concept are welcome.

Thanks for your contribution to this thread.

Mike

P.S. Please no histrionics or foaming at the mouth. Please let's just have a quiet well-reasoned discussion of the issue(s).
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
Is this possibly analogous to buying a magic book, reading it thoughly and memorizing every effect in the book and then re-selling the book?

Nope, it is analogous to buying a magic book, tearing out the pages you want and selling the rest.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Tom,

I'll PM you with a more specific description of what I am ethically concerned about. I purposely left the precise fact situation somewhat vague here in this public post.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » The ethics of "parting out" an item (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL