The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How much kid you are? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Bonnie Kids
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden (Västerås)
267 Posts

Profile of The Bonnie Kids
Try to describe how much you are a kid and why...
Andrea
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I must be - for Xmas last year they bought me a T-shirt that says "As bad as the kids", and everyone who sees it says it's exactly right in my case.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Derek Rutt Creations
View Profile
Regular user
thailand
172 Posts

Profile of Derek Rutt Creations
Yes I am Just a kid.......anyway what are adults??....just grown up children!! ....In order to create kid's magic props you have to think like one and that is why at heart I am still a kid .
Derek
Hope this helps. Creation is life
www.derekrutt.com
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I am certainly a kid if not a kid-at-heart as well. I think we all deep inside are kids and continue to be like children. I think what happens is society tells us that we should stop acting a certain way and to act like an adult and to do adult like things.

We change overtime because society demands it of us in a lot of ways and perhaps having children ourselves means more responsibility and acting in a more adult manner. But to me, I find we all remain children even if we do not always show it on the outside as much as some do.

The kid in me still is fascinated by this thing called magic. Infact the kid in me still is just as amazed by it as the first time I saw magic done as a youngster. The kid in me still gets excited about seeing magic performed and the joy I get from a well done routine. That kid in me and that feeling has never changed and probably will never change no matter if I am 5 or 105.

The kid in me still loves satisfaction that I get from doing something well or getting something correct. As a child we get rewarded and feel great when we get it right or it works as planned. The kid in me now still feels that way after a well performed show. I have grown up, but the kid inside of me is still very much alive.

As a child I often found the joy in exploring new things and the adventure of using my imagination and being creative. The wonderful joy of being so imaginative in a child's play time fascinates me. I feel I have never really lost that love for adventure and the power of creation. I feel the kid inside of me has just found different ways to still do that.

As a magician, I still get the joy out of creating a new routine. I get the satisfaction of using my imagination to devise a storyline that I may not jhave even thought I could have come up with before. My imagination and my creativity and the love for each, is still very much alive in me.

And you know what? I love it. I really do love being a kid at heart. I may grow older and a bit more wise, but like a kid, I still make mistakes, I still crave to learn and I still have that wonderment in my eye for natures beauty. If that is what it means to be a kid... then by golly I am one of the biggest kids I know.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Very much. Just because. It's who I am. And I've seen very many adults whose nasty demeanors have greatly influenced an active decision on my part NOT to be "grown up" like them. Smile Kids are no-nonsense, straight-up fun. Who wouldn't want to keep that?
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Kids represent a hopeful innocence that is the future of mankind. When any of us stops being a kid, we lose hope for the future. But it's our choice. I believe in the goodness of everyone I meet. I believe in a world of peace and happiness. I believe I can provide a better world for my children ... but not my children's children ... because children shouldn't be having children (sorry, just had to slip that one in Smile )
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
I like to play on the play ground on my own time. I play with kids everyday. I use kid language everyday. Basically, I am a kid. I just did a show today and a kid accused me of breaking HIS breakaway wand. So of course we started the ya huh na un argument.
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Gideon,

That is funny that you mentiuoned using those lines. I often do that as a part or segment in my vanishing ketchup bottle routine. It goes over well because the kids can relate to this.

I think it also works with my personna. On stage I really am more like a fun guy who almost is as if walt Disney did magic. I know that sounds weord, but I am a big kid in a grown mans body and I like to take my audiences on magical journeys.

I think the children can relate to me because to them, I am almost just like them. I act like they do and the magic and the magical accidents happen to me just like they happen to them. They see an adult figure having the same problems and the same likes and acting the same way they do and to them they like that. They have fun with it and feel more releaxed and feel it is ok for them to be themselves during the show.

I often times get told by the kids after my shows that I am "silly" or "you are funny". That to me is never a bad thing. I always take that as a complement. To me that is their way of saying they had fun with me and what I did.

I am still a magician and I really do not play a clown like character at all. It really is more on the lines that I allow myself and my magic to be more on a child's level. I also allow myself to have the accidents where the magic ends up happening in the child's hand with be acting surprised by it. I am still in complete control, but now the kids see that even adults can make mistakes and they become empowered through the magic happening because of themselves.

I think it takes a special person to allow to place themselves into that position during a kid's show. To many, they would argue with me that this makes me look a bit unproifessional. That perhaps I need to act mature and conduct myself in a more magical manner. I just would have to disagree with them I guess. All I know is that it really works for me and my audiences love the show and the magic more because I allow myself to be more on their level. By me being a kind at heart, I get a better reaction from them.

My 2 cents worth.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Hmmm..this month I spent every extra penny on magic stuff, went mountain biking(muddier the better), learned how to wakeboard this summer,(best wipeout is the coolest), boogie boarded at the beach(hope to actually learn how to surf next summer), played practical jokes on people till I almost wet myself, looked at mars thru my telescope and dreamed of spaceflight, did animal impressions until my 8mo baby stopped crying. I hope 43 is as much fun as 42 has been.
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
Because of all my "TOYS", I tell people I am just a big kid with MONEY! At 44, I still splash in puddles, play on the swingset, play with my food, and dance when I have to go pee!

My childlike and foolish nature is expected by anyone that knows me. A comedian, a prankster, a musician, a magician, the one they are all laughing at (not with) is my role in all my circles. I don't enjoy todays Saturday Morning cartoons anymore though. Is it just me or are these things just 30 minute commercials anymore?
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
I'd say I'm 99% kid, the rest being able to write this without spelling anything wrong, but then again, I probably did.
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
The Bonnie Kids
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden (Västerås)
267 Posts

Interesting posts!
for instance..... if you visit a new town, or a new place, which kind of shops do you visit first?
Andrea
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
It's funny cause every time I am in a new town or city, I often times find myself searching through the phone book for magic shops. I am always eager, like a kid in a candy store, to check out different magic shops around the country when I can.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
My girlfriend often tells me I'm acting immature and need to grow up. Does this count toward my being a kid?
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
No it means you had better buy her some flowers and take her out to dinner real soon. hehe =)

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Steve Haffner
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
108 Posts

Profile of Steve Haffner
Even before my interest in magic, my main interest was a child-like pursuit - boardgames. My Dad still shakes his head when he sees my collection of games in the basement, but he does enjoy my magic.

I think of myself when I hear this line from an Elvis Costello song: "Just a little boy lost in a big man's shirt."

I think my wife understands me. She knows I have to spend so much of my time acting like a grown up in my real-life and head of family responsibilities, I need a hobby where I can be my kid-like self. It keeps me sane.

- Steve
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
According to some, I am about 99.9% kid.

However, I don't believe everything I hear.

Regan
Mister Mystery
The Bonnie Kids
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden (Västerås)
267 Posts

SORRY FOR WRITING IN CAPITAL LETTERS, BUT that's THE ONLY WAY I HAVE TO SHOW YOU MY COMMENTS:

Rossmacrae: I must be - for Xmas last year they bought me a T-shirt that says "As bad as the kids", and everyone who sees it says it's exactly right in my case.

THIS IS INTERESTING, BUT IT NEVER HAPPENED TO ME.

Derek: Yes I am Just a kid.......anyway what are adults??....just grown up children!! ....In order to create kid's magic props you have to think like one and that is why at heart I am still a kid .
Derek

I LIKE THAT ADULTS ARE GROWN-UP KIDS

Gideon :I like to play on the play ground on my own time. I play with kids everyday. I use kid language everyday. Basically, I am a kid. I just did a show today and a kid accused me of breaking HIS breakaway wand. So of course we started the ya huh na un argument.

I DO THE SAME, INCREDIBLE! I PLAY ON THE PLAY GROUND WHEN I PICK-UP MY DOUGHTER...

Jonnyb: Hmmm..this month I spent every extra penny on magic stuff
, went mountain biking (muddier the better), learned how to wakeboard this summer,(best wipeout is the coolest), boogie boarded at the beach(hope to actually learn how to surf next summer),

played practical jokes on people till I almost wet myself

ME TOO!

looked at mars thru my telescope and dreamed of spaceflight, did animal impressions until my 8mo baby stopped crying.
SIMILAT RO ME...

I hope 43 is as much fun as 42 has been.

I AM 39...

muzicman: Because of all my "TOYS", I tell people I am just a big kid with MONEY! At 44, I still splash in puddles, play on the swingset, play with my food, and dance when I have to go pee!

I AM 39, AND I BEHAVE IN THE SAME WAY!

My childlike and foolish nature is expected by anyone that knows me.

HAPPENS TO ME TOO..

A comedian, a prankster, a musician, a magician, the one they are all laughing at (not with) is my role in all my circles. I don't enjoy todays Saturday Morning cartoons anymore though.

I DO IT INSTEAD..

Is it just me or are these things just 30 minute commercials anymore? YES!

Kyle: It's funny cause every time I am in a new town or city, I often times find myself searching through the phone book for magic shops.

ME TOO, BUT I ALSO ENTER IN EVERY TOY'S SHOP. BEFORE I DIDN'T HAVE KIDS AND IT WAS DIFFICULT TO JUSTIFY IT (DON'T ACTUALLY CARE THAT MUCH IN WHAT OTHERS THINK..) BUT NOW I HAVE THE EXCUSE! MY 2 KIDS CLEARLY SAID THAT IT IS MUCH FUNNIER TO GO TO THE TOY'S SHOP WITH ME INSTEAD THAT WITH MY WIFE...

MikeRaffone: My girlfriend often tells me I'm acting immature and need to grow up. Does this count toward my being a kid?

THE SAME SAYS MY WIFE. SHE AND MY FRIENDS SAY THAT MY WIFE HAS 3 KIDS...

A QUESTION: SHOULD I BE WORRIED?
ANOTHER ONE: ARE WE LIKE THAT BECAUSE OF MAGIC OR ARE WE DOING MAGIC BECAUSE WE ARE LIKE THAT?

ANDREA
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
It is funny that I forgot to mention the fact that I love dollar stores and toy stores as well. I get such great inspiration for routines just by going through them and walking down the aisles and letting my mind play with the different things I see. In this way I am not always looking towards magic for my magical ideas. I am looking away from magic to create interesting and fun routines that a child can relate to and have fun with. Besides, it gives me a reason to go and play. =)

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
[quote]On 2005-10-24 13:41, Bonnie Kids-A wrote:
A QUESTION: SHOULD I BE WORRIED?
ANOTHER ONE: ARE WE LIKE THAT BECAUSE OF MAGIC OR ARE WE DOING MAGIC BECAUSE WE ARE LIKE THAT?

Andrea,

I don't think you should be worried.

I am not sure your second question can be answered so easily. I suspect there is some truth to both statements. I believe I got into magic professionally partly because of the child in me, but I also believe that magic plays a big part in keeping me young at heart.

Regan
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How much kid you are? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL