The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Again: sticky deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
My bicycle deck is getting sticky again... the last time it happens, I just gave it a fanning powder, and it became better... right now the condition is worse... when I pull out the cards from its box, the card came in stock like a brick... I have to bend it to make the cards separates one another...
I just want to ask, how to use the cards correctly so it won't become sticky?
thx a lot and sorry for my bad english
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
http://amagicblog.wordpress.com
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Dampness can cause this to happen. Maybe high humidity. Then again the cards could have be damaged before purchase, suffering some sort of high humiditry or even water damage in shipment. Has this happened with other decks of cards?

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
Its definitely got wet somehow..did you keep it near ur window..did you carry it with you on a rainy day??was ur hand humid or wet when you use the deck??there are many things can happen..but the only way it get sticky like that is because it is wet either water or humid!
one eyed man is the king in the blind land
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
Hmmm yes I think it was because my hand humid..actually, it was my first bicycle deck, so I can't tell about the other deck... but the condition like that only happens on my bicycle deck.. I have one Angel Deck, I use it the same way like the bicycle one, but after a year it still good... mmm not that good, but at least it not stick one another...
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
Roland78
View Profile
Special user
Torino, Italy
567 Posts

Profile of Roland78
After an year you could also think about buying another new deck Smile
Anyway, the sticky ones are good for some flourishes, like the cut based ones (sybils, and so on...)

Dave
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
I was under the impression that fanning powder wouldn't work on Bicycle decks, because of the finish on the cards.

Really, you should be changing out decks much more frequently. They do deteriorate, especially in extreme conditions. If Bicycle cards are expensive in Indonesia, is there an alternative brand you could try?
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
How long the use of your deck? I use my bicycle deck for about 5month since I first open it... yes, bicycle is VERY expensive here, last time I ask on local store it was about $9 each!
alternative brand? maybe it's Angel Brand... it's made of japan
there are a lot of brands here, but they're all have not so good quality *i think*. the size is a little bit strange, too small for poker deck, and too big for bridge deck...
how about Bee Brand, or Tally Ho brand? are the two have a good quality as the bicycle brand? maybe they will cost less expensive here... I hope...
thx
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
You do not have to use Bicycle cards. Find any plastic coat card manufacturer in Indonesia and buy there brands. I live in taiwan and cards are cheaper here but hard to come by so most of the time I use bridge size cards that are available at the seven eleven or any other convenience store for less than $1. I bought a carton of 12 decks of cards for about 8 dollars. I ended up buying 3 cartons and making myself a special Svengali a one way forse deck etc etc and still had many decks left with which to practise.
Your cards may also become sticky from excessive use or if your hands are not perfectly clean when you use them. They could also become sticky from lying in the sun and then the cards almost become "hard" But buy cheap cards as long as they are plastic coated and have fun.
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Bee and Tally Ho are both excellent brands. See how much you can get them for. Many people say plastic coated cards are not suitable for certain card handlings, but they would probably resist the humidity better. I think the key is to experiment a little.

If Bicycle are so expensive there, don't you think that your audiences might suspect a trick deck if the brand is not famliar to them?

And definitely wash your hands just before handling the cards.
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
Yes, there are many plastic coated deck here... but again as I said, the size is a little bit strange... how about plastic cards? I used to do magic using plastic cards, but a good magician here suggested me not to use the plastic cards....
about the brand that not familiar, I just can say "this is imported deck, and many great magician of foreign country use it! if you think this is a trick deck, just examine it"
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
One more thing, I tried to compare my old bicycle deck (the sticky one) with a new bicycle deck, the thickness are different... the old one is about 5 or 6 cards thicker than the new one... maybe I have to limit my time of using the deck... it's time for the old deck to retire...
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Quote:
On 2005-10-28 04:47, spycrapper wrote:
Yes, there are many plastic coated deck here... but again as I said, the size is a little bit strange... how about plastic cards? I used to do magic using plastic cards, but a good magician here suggested me not to use the plastic cards....
about the brand that not familiar, I just can say "this is imported deck, and many great magician of foreign country use it! if you think this is a trick deck, just examine it"

I would not personally recommend the plastic cards, but it does depend on what you're going to do with them.

I think the line you're using to introduce your deck is likely to draw suspicion, and if you ask your audience to examine your cards, you set a dangerous precedent, and also delay the action.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Quote:
On 2005-10-27 09:44, abc wrote:
You do not have to use Bicycle cards. Find any plastic coat card manufacturer in Indonesia and buy there brands. I live in Taiwan and cards are cheaper here but hard to come by so most of the time I use bridge size cards that are available at the seven eleven or any other convenience store for less than $1.

While this is a good solution it may have some drawbacks. For example my wife is from Mexico so often my new relatives will send me a deck of cards as a gift. They know I do magic and did a lot of close-up at the house and on the street the three weeks I was there last.

The decks are unfortunately pretty inferior to those produced by The U.S. Playing Card Company or Hoyle. Flimsy, poorly printed, and no slick surface to them. Things like simple fans and ribbon spreads are next to impossible let alone some of the more involved finger-flinging necessary to do a card trick. Even self-working tricks can be difficult with these decks.

my point is while local brands may be les suspicious and more available; you also have to take into account quality and ease of use.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Frank,
I absolutely agree. I didn't mean just replace your bicycle cards with another brand but by looking around and experimenting at a dollar a deck it is pretty cheap. Besides if you are able to local cards to perform then you will not get into a sticky situation where you try to do a sleight that is very difficult with these cards and it will broaden your ideas. I also do some tricks with Mah Jong cards here but the cards are almost oval shaped and that in itself is a nightmare.
I have to say though that I have no problem performing "ordinary sleights" DL, Pass, Top and Bottom changes etc with the cards I use here but I have practised with them quite a bit.
You will be quite surprised by the different kind of things that are availble with different shaped cards. For one to glimpse a card that is oval shaped is in some instances easier depending on which method you use.
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Tally Ho are nice as are Carta Mundi. There is more to life than Bikes, but there's certain decks I wouldn't touch with a bargepole. Usually you can tell when you get them out of the box. They're thick and clump together on the first fanning.

It's like trying to play a concerto on a plastic whistle. Some things just can't be done.

As for using cards for a year! Well I suppose it depends how much you practice, but I you use them every day or an hour or so, then they'll be ready or retirement long before that.
J0ma
View Profile
New user
Finland
59 Posts

Profile of J0ma
Hmm, spycrapper, I know what you mean, my decks usually get to that point too, the decks are not expensive here but I have to order them from southern finland so I am a miser and I am very strict on my money use so I often squeeze every little bit out of my cards and I ave kinda the same problem, no other brand deck here will beat bicycle, so I just have to order them.. usually my one deck lasts about 1-6months.. my oldest one almost 1.5 years now ^^.. so you have a companion in misfortune.. try to hang on Smile
Magic Is Life
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
Foucault, I didn't mean that I will ask the spectator to examine the deck... if just happen if they're thinking that the deck is unusual... but usually they don't take much attention to it... as I've said before, there's so many deck here, that have different back and face... so it's not a problem to use bicycle deck...
and as Frank Tougas said, I'm looking for a good quality deck to use, and it is Bicycle brand...BUT, the problem (sticky deck) came to me...
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
Hey, the last two weeks I got back to my home city that has higher temperature, and my sticky deck become excellent again... and yesterday I came back here (where I school) which has lower temperature and the deck became sticky again...
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Again: sticky deck (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL