The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Source for slow-opening hinge? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dave Fiscus
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Dave Fiscus
My car has a clever cup holder lid that, when lightly tapped, opens slowly and smoothly by itself. Anyone know what its hinge is called? I have looked in McMaster Carr's catalog but can't find spring hinges that work this way. I took apart my Sony video camera with a similar tape-ejection mechanism and it seems to operate with two different-strength expansion springs and curved tracks. I would like to add this type of spring to a small box lid but I don't want to disasemble my car's cup holder or visit a junk yard to find one! Anyone know a source?
Dave
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I don't have a source but it somes similar to a constant torque spring mechanism. Basically, two spring loaded cans that transfer between the two. I was going to suggest McMaster Carr.

Have you tried C&H Sales or American Scientific's websites. They have a lot of weird closeout stuff.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Go look for the "magic" calculator, it is a spring flip back top that moves slowly, they are just a couple bucks for a take apart item, that will still leave you with a calculator to use!
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Dave Fiscus
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Dave Fiscus
Richard, I couldn't find my slow-opening spring hinge at American Science and Surplus. C&H Electronic Sales' site must be down because it wouldn't load using either of my browsers. I'll try again tomorrow. Wish I knew the name of this type of hinge, it would make searching more efficient. Kay, I will look for a "magic calculator'. Where did you see these? I live in Sacramento and we may have chain stores like yours in central California.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Ask your auto mechanic the name of the supplier or go to a junk yard and get one.
POOF!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Sorry, I don't know what it is called. Could you use a spring loaded hinge to open with a counter balanced reel? Just brainstorming.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Hi Dave, I am in Stockton, and the calculator I had was a promo from Baycon for inspector gadget, but I will look it up , they are out there pretty commonly, usually from the imprint folks. give me a few and I will find a source for you
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Here is a link to a supplier, realize they sell them in bulk for promotional work, but you might be able to order a single one as a sample, otherwise google on flip top calculator!
http://www.bestimpressions.com/fliptopcal.html
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Dave Fiscus
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Dave Fiscus
Thanks Kay. After reading your message I went to the web looking for "flip top calculators" and found literally dozens of companies selling them in bulk as advertizing novelties. I wil look locally to find a single one so I can play with the lid. Sounds like a good possibility!
Dave
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Michael Baker is a hinge expert. Maybe he will see this thread and chime in??? Wish I could help. SOunds interesting though.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Dave, I also recall Tony Andruzzi giving information in making a self opening hinged lid for a box, (or book) it moved slowly due to the weight of the box lid. It was in one of his books, and somewhere in the Invocation. If you think it would work, shoot me a PM and I will try to get you the exact source. Very easy to make, and quite inexpensive, maybe $5 for enough of the material to last you several hinges.
Not sure of your needs, so it may not be what youare looking for.
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
adzimme
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of adzimme
If you still have a problem finding a single calculator, try actually going to a trade show. Usually, access to the vendor booths are free. Go and look interested and you should be able to have many vendors give you them for free. With many new victims in hand, the method of operation should be easy to figure out. If I can find a victim in my pile of junk, I'll take it apart and let you know.

Alan
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
Dave;
Use a regular spring hinge or custom make what you need lubricated with damping grease. This is what is used on CD players, calculators, etc. You may get a sample kit here:

http://www.nyelubricants.com/2002_311.htm

These special greases are very "tacky" and will do the job. Good luck.
Jim
Dave Fiscus
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Dave Fiscus
Thanks Kay, I wil look for the mentionin Invocation. Jim, I had never heard of "damping grease". What a clever, and logical idea to slow motion! Thanks for the link.
Dave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Source for slow-opening hinge? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL