The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Willy Wonka themed show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
Any suggestions on tricks to use for a Willy Wonka themed show?

I had thought to base the show around candies and different candies having different properties like...

* Willy Wonka's Everlasting Bubble Gum (bubble gum mouth coils)
* Air Candy that's lighter than air (Chair Suspension)

I'm trying to think of other ideas. I was thinking maybe Hippidy Hop Bunnys... tie it into chocolate bunnies... just have to come up with the Patter.

Any other ideas?
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Don't use the name Willy Wonka to promote your show or you could be hearing from evil lawyers. They will protect the copywrite. You can call yourself the "Candyman" or something, until the Candyman horror people find out. I know a local performer who described one of his characters as "like Austin Powers..." and he was promptly sued. He didn't have to pay out anything because he agreed to switch over to being "international man of mystery" which wasn't owned by the people who owned Austin Powers. This is why you can hire "A purple dinosaur" but not "Barney"....have fun.
Steve V
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Call yourself the Candyman and Sammy David Jr. will haunt you from the grave! Smile

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Chance Wolf's ABC Recombobulator would fit perfectly into the candy themed show.

Ken
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Get a pair of those funky sunglasses they used in the movie and do floating sunglasses.

Milk pitcher using chocolate milk....

Selected playing card found in a wrapped wonka bar...

Get some of that candy that comes in long (by the yard pieces and do the vanishing cane turning it into the strip of candy...

Multiplying billiard balls (re-named gob stoppers of course)

Lyndel
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
The music in the original move as the winners enter the chocolate room is wonderful and moody.

I have pictured doing something to that but have not come up with anything.

It would seem wonderful to introduce your act like in the movie... "ladies and gentlemen. boys and girls. the chocolate room!"

I took my kids to see the new movie. what a farce. horrible.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Quote:
On 2005-10-27 14:17, Steve V wrote:
This is why you can hire "A purple dinosaur" but not "Barney"....have fun.
Steve V

Too true! At all the entertainer websites you'll find names like 'red monster' (Elmo) 'Pinnie the Wooh' and 'sponge-in-pants'

Let's see....the bubblegum coils is my fave of all the ideas listed...how about the effect where you take a chewed peice of gum & flip it into a wrapped new peice? (Can't recall the name) but that wouldnt really play to a crowd.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
macmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
MA
400 Posts

Profile of macmagic
Just a thought for ya!
If you are doing a lot of candy effects in your show the kids are going to want or even expect that you are going to give them candy! Just wanted to plant that in your head so you don't get mobbed at a show from kids looking for the candy LOL
(maybe you could dress one of the kids up like an umpa-loompa)
"Its a magic thing...........you wouldn't understand"
Steve Haffner
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
108 Posts

Profile of Steve Haffner
When doing 20th Century Silks, after vanishing the silk I say that the silk still exists, but it's now in particles so small you can't see them and traveling above the audience's heads - and I always think of WonkaVision, and how the same thing happened to Mike TeeVee.

So maybe you can have WonkaVision props (a camera and a small TV screen), then vanish a chocolate bar (perhaps the camera could be a vanishing apparatus), then produce a mini-Wonka bar from the TV.

- Steve
JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
Ah... not to worry about the Willy Wonka name... it's a celebrity look alike appearance, so the lawyers are happy. Or, at least, my booker is happy.

I won't actually call myself Willy Wonka, but the appearance will be there.

Thanks for the ideas. I do like the WonkaVision idea the best, so far. That's terrific. Now... to figure out how to do it.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Billy Bonka!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Willy Wonka themed show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL