The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Fire Eating Indoors (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

steve_seguin
View Profile
New user
London, Ontario
70 Posts

Profile of steve_seguin
I've been fire eating for years, but rarely perform it in my shows - mainly because I am concerned about triggering smoke detectors and fire alarms.

Does anyone have any information on how much smoke is required to set off these devices? Or any practical advice on eating fire indoors?

Thanks

Steve Seguin
London, ON
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Indoors will likely rely on a couple factors, local laws, and ventilation, depending on the venue, it might not be allowed.
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Check out the local laws first (fire is banned in most places) if that's the case, go with matches Smile
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
wol
View Profile
Loyal user
Norfolk, UK
238 Posts

Profile of wol
High Ceilings! Saying that I used to do my fire routine in a venue where the roof was about six foot higher than my head, at the end of season I noticed the big black soot patch on the ceiling from my blasting! I got a mop and gave it eyes and a smile! Three years later its still there! either the club liked my so much it stays a testament to my fine performance or they really arn't bothered about cleaning! But yeah check you're local laws and fire procedures for the buildings you might me playing in!
Keep passing the open windows!
Glenn Alloway
View Profile
Regular user
Edmonton AB Canada
103 Posts

Profile of Glenn Alloway
If you go through the local fire hall, you can get special permission to fire alarm/sprinkler system shut off for a performance area. However this is time consuming and can be costly for a permit.
"This is madness and yet there is method in it." ~Shakespeare
magicguy67
View Profile
Loyal user
mEL.fLORIDA
287 Posts

Profile of magicguy67
Cant you just not have the flame big.do you really need a permit for all this I want to use fire in my act and it doesn't seem to be a problem.mabey its jhust my fire laws oh well.
they thought it was impossible until they met me.

theres no reality in magic

did the magician come before the assistant or the other way around.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Magicguy 67, until you haave seen what "only a little fire" can do, especially one that uses a liquid fuel, in a venue that you do not own, it is hard to say "Sure" use a little flame and go for it.
The problem comes with questions about flammability of the objects in the location or venue you are performing at; fabrics, finishes, fuels. Also, if housekeeping is an issue in very high ceilings, then you may have a "Rafter fire" when the cobwebs catch!
If you have insurance, and choose not to get a permit, realize, you may NOT have insurance! as it may exclude those actions. OH! Did anyone mention the fines you might get hit with also if caught?

Fire is not to be trifled with, I admit to using a professional pyrotechnician for anything other than small bits of flashpaper- and I am a trained pyro crew person!
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
magicguy67
View Profile
Loyal user
mEL.fLORIDA
287 Posts

Profile of magicguy67
Your right I take back my syement.It all depends on whre you are like you said.
they thought it was impossible until they met me.

theres no reality in magic

did the magician come before the assistant or the other way around.
jc_dovemagician
View Profile
New user
Camden, Tn
25 Posts

Profile of jc_dovemagician
As long as they don't mind I use it. Of course they have to sign a LIABILITY agreement. That means they take responsibility and it won't cast me anything of course it would be bad for business if I did.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Fire Eating Indoors (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL