The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bizarre Black magic Buddhist....disturbing!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Sky burial is still practiced by the Jains, and in parts of the Tibetan plateau. It involves dismembering the corpse, and leaving if for the vultures.

In Mumbai, where there's a large community of Jains, there's currently concern that the vulture population is dwindling to the point that there won't be enough to perform the burials.

It's generally looked at, as being able to pass along what you no longer need, to creatures who do.

In the Tibetan Plateau, it's also saves wood, which is rare, and needed for things other than cremation. Many cooking fires there, are made with dried dung.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Chmara wrote...

"The real magic is in the power to enchant with belief that we can make things better -- often by undetected means -- called magical."

That's a really great way to see what Magic should be about.

Thank You, Sir...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
Thank you. If enchantment and belief go hand in hand in our craft a magical world becomes possible - if craft and enchantment go hand in hand -- we have magic.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
I bought my first human skull many years ago at the Abbotts Get Together in Colon MI for 35 dollars. It freaked my current wife out to have it in the house. I sold it to a magic friend for the same price I paid for it. Now I have serious regrets.

And yes, Baba is very pretty.

KOtah
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
What a bunch of pandering wind chiming wimps. Other cultures suck.

Unless they buy something. Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
dough
View Profile
Loyal user
Gee. . . 13 years, and only
238 Posts

Profile of dough
Quote:
On 2005-10-31 14:44, chmara wrote:

For instance, it is only in the last 75 years in the USA that funerals are held in special parlors away from the home of the deceased and bodies are embalmed against the smell they can produce. Previously funerals were held in the home of the deceased and unless packed in ice -- they were buried quickly.

Close Gregg, But even when funerals were held in the home, embalming was often performed in another room, usually the kitchen, with gravity feed bottles and limited drainage.

Quote:
On 2005-10-31 14:44, chmara wrote:
The grieving process in some religions often treats the body of the deceased with a different reverence that today's urban cultures.

In "todays urban culture" in most states stillborns are treated as medical waste and unless the family requests otherwise they are disposed of as such. Even when the family requested burial, I have went to numerous hospitals where they have wrapped the fetus in newspaper and put it in a discarded diaper box. In which case I would immediatly removed him/her, wrap it in a blanket and carry it out as the child it was. As I feel they deserve the respect as much as anyone else.

Also for some strange reason I can't get Baba's link to work.
"One of the Last Ten in One Sideshows"
Evilstalkerhorne
View Profile
New user
USA Waterloo Iowa
70 Posts

Profile of Evilstalkerhorne
Nice link. Too bad it doesn't have a vid or anything other than advertisements.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Look at the date of Baba's link. It is now over three years old!

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Too bad. I would like to have read the story.
dough
View Profile
Loyal user
Gee. . . 13 years, and only
238 Posts

Profile of dough
Quote:
On 2008-12-03 10:00, Bill Ligon wrote:
Look at the date of Baba's link. It is now over three years old!

Bill

And with only one good eye Smile awesome!!!
"One of the Last Ten in One Sideshows"
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Only one eye, but a looooong memory.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bizarre Black magic Buddhist....disturbing!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL