The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Wrotten Spellin » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
I wonder if there is any possibility of having a spell check before posting --- I am probably the world's worst speller -- and an even less controlled finger flinger on hitting these small keys with the three fingers I use to type.

And - at my advancing age -- I am probably not going to be able to solve the problem other than with a spell check after the ideas spill out on the screen.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I use the google toolbar, it has a spell check feature.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Gregg,

Josh's suggestion of using the Google Toolbar is a great idea. Several staff members use it (i'm one of them) to correct posts here. Go to google.com and look for the link to download the toolbar. It's great!

Steven
Coram Deo
LostSoul
View Profile
Regular user
Dave
148 Posts

Profile of LostSoul
I learned a long time ago, I type my messages into Word and then cut and paste. I've been using this for years and it works great.

Dave
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Chmara, the suggestions above are great however, I wouldn't beat myself up for spelling errors. We have a staff of grammar hosts who read all the posts and correct any grammar/spelling errors you may not catch yourself.
Where the magic begins
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I didn't' know about the Google Spell Check. I type so fast and always spell things wrong.

Thanks all!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
We know, Chris. Smile Smile
Where the magic begins
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Josh,

Thanks for the google spell check toolbar idea. I had no idea that dern (is that a word?) thing was there. I'll be using it for sure!
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Holy shnikeys! (is that a word?) Just noticed the Google toolbar has a translator too! Hey even the most elementary foreign language spell check and translation would be of help to me. I e-mail a couple of friends in Mexico and this will come in handy.
Mya Angel
View Profile
Special Assistant
California
1396 Posts

Profile of Mya Angel
The google toolbar is great. Smile

But it doesn't check for punctuation marks etc. Smile

:wavey:
There is nothing that remains so constant as change. Don't end up like concrete, all mixed up and permanently set. Smile

He who slings mud will surely lose ground.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Al3so if you spiel Lick This

For some reason it let's some things go, I spell checked this. But it does go a long way to making things better, you still must re-check your stuff a little.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I was also able to edit and create a few buttons for the toolbar. One of the buttons is for the Café and just beats having to pull down my "favorites" bar, scroll to the site, and click. Now I can just click on the toolbar button and there I am.

I may have overlooked some of these common features as I tend to keep as much stuff off my computer.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
Tanks fr tha feadbak -- is google really a word, BTW
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
A google os a number represented by 1 followed by 100 zero's (If you're curious how I found that out, I Googled it)
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
276 Posts

Profile of Gene
Quote:
On 2005-11-02 15:53, Josh Riel wrote:
A google os a number represented by 1 followed by 100 zero's ...
Yes, but that doesn't mean "os" is a word.

Smile

Just kidding, of course!
Somebody kick me off the computer, will ya? Smile Smile
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
See? That's what happens when you don't use spell check.
Mya Angel
View Profile
Special Assistant
California
1396 Posts

Profile of Mya Angel
Smile
There is nothing that remains so constant as change. Don't end up like concrete, all mixed up and permanently set. Smile

He who slings mud will surely lose ground.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Josh is absolutely correct, or in other words...you have to be smarter than the toolbar. Smile
Coram Deo
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
As I have told the folks on ExpertMagic (Repeatedly, since I am the only one correcting things there. . . no large staff Smile ), there are a few freeware programs that work within browsers to enable one to spell check what is written in the post box prior to submitting it.

I have used one of them back when I used IE, but there are programs for Firefox, Opera, Netscape and more, too.

As stated above, as with any spell/grammar check, you need to watch them, as they can only tell the words in the attached dictionary, most of which you can add to, and they cannot tell if you used the correct word (their or they're, for example) in the context. The main program for IE, iespell, seems to have a weakness for solitary "i"s, missing the need to use the upper case in that instance. Since this appears to be a very common error, it is too bad they have not corrected that, yet.

Here is a current URL to information given out on the Ohio State University web site: http://8help.osu.edu/2143.html
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
This reminds me of a recent lawsuit against Microsoft. A student, I believe in HS, submitted a paper with errors following a computer spell check! His position was he would of received a higher grade had the program not been faulty. Bill Gates responded by saying that was another good reason to stay in school.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Wrotten Spellin » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL