The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Beginners Tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mightyred75
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of mightyred75
Which tricks are good beginner tricks?? I have just been praticing classic, finger and thumb palms constantly for two weeks. Been praticing transfers and shuttle passes and utility switches as well. I am ready to learn some tricks now but don't know where to start. I bought Bobo's MCM and just don't know where to start. Any help would be grateful.
phread
View Profile
Elite user
md
486 Posts

Profile of phread
After 2 weeks I suggest you continue to practice...

dug
Deckless Wonder
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I seriously suggest you try out a "2-in-the-hand 1-in-the-pocket" trick.
There is a nice one in Bill Tarr's book

Now U C It Now U Don't #1

I think he calls it "After Dinner Trick".

It allows you to practice:
1. misdirection
2. shuttle pass
3. different plaming methods
4. clink pass

You can make it very simple when you start and then you can keep working on
your technique and make it quite a nice piece to study. You can play around
with the different techniques you've learned, put them into the routine, and
think about what works best for the rotuine and for you.

You can think about
when to look at the coins, at precicely what moments do you look up and make
eye contact with your audience. Should you start with a coin in classic palm or finger palm. Maybe you start with fingerpalm and move to classic palm as your skills improve.

It's great to study becuase it is not too
difficult but there are 3 phases to the effect with things to think about.

I think it's the perfect trick for a beginner. Not too hard but lots to think about for the serious student.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Check out the "Foundations" section of http://www.coinvanish.com.
Click to visit:
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Ramsay's Coins and Cylinder and 3 Coins in a Hat...OK, just kidding Smile! Good beginners tricks from Bobo's Flying Eagles, Gad About Coins, Traveling centavos. Also go through the quick trick section as there are lots of quick and simple routines that will help you to get a "feel" for coins as you work with them.

Mike
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Thanks for posting this MightyFred!

I'm new to coins too and am working on pretty much the same stuff.

Thanks also to Frank, Dan, and Mike...Suggestions and advice from those 'in the know' are worth their weight in gold.

I've been practicing for about a month now, and have only one 'trick' that I'm confortable enough to do with close friends (those that are either Magicians themselves or are in my circle of 'critic friends')...I haven't got it smooth enough for the general public yet though...

I show a Half, holding it in the fingertips of both hands...I show how you can 'bend' the Half by undulating it backwards and forwards (this usually gets a nice 'whoa!')...I then explain how if I kept doing this it would probably break the coin (I start tossing the Half from right fingertips to open left palm a couple of times)...So why break the coin if you need change?

That's when I do a 'Bobo' switch (I THINK this is what it's called) by releasing the two quarters I've had finger-palmed the whole time and CP the Half.

Basic, I know...But it's a start! (Plus it's fun.)

Prof. Piper
:juggle:
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
Rob Elliott
View Profile
Elite user
Reston VA
487 Posts

Profile of Rob Elliott
If you’ve got Modern Coin Magic, you’ve got plenty of material to choose from without having to look anywhere else. Spend some time studying the book and see what works for you.

As Mike said, the Quick Tricks chapter is chock full of material suitable for the beginner. Take a look at any of the “Through the Pocket” or “Through the Leg” effects. The Kneezy Vanish was another of my early favorites.

Also, check out the Coins Across chapter. Copper and Silver Transposition, Winged Silver, and Four Coins to a Glass are all relatively easy to perform and still pack a whallop.

You've got a treasure trove of material there.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
My first multi-coin routines from Bobo's were Gadabout coins, Flying Eagles, Three and Three and Traveling Centavos.
Read and try as many of the routines as you can with the coins that you have available.
It don't matter if you can't do them yet but you will get an idea what coin magic is about in the process.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Beginners Tricks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL