The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Review : Michael Rubinstein's Coin Magic Lecture in Paris October 2005 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

perlimpinpin
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of perlimpinpin
Hi all,

Here is my review of Michael Rubinstein's lecture in Paris ten days ago. Michael, thanks for sharing all this material with us. I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards
Daniel
perlimpinpin
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of perlimpinpin
Michael's lecture lasted about two hours and a half.

He began by presenting us his show, standing up at a table in front of us. The show is the one he uses in his corporate work.

To adjust to the variety of people attending, both beginners and experienced coin magicians, Michael spent
the first hour focusing mostly on technique and sleights, and the second hour mostly on routined effects
such as the ones he had shown us in the beginning, as well as some more involved ones.

'Technique and sleights' part of the lecture
--------------------------------------------
During this part of the lecture, Michael sought to demonstrate how the key difficulty surrounding
coin sleights is not necessarily their handling per se, but rather the timing that is required for the move to be convincing.
To illustrate this he went over two retention palm sleights, the first being a 'take', and the second, a 'put'. He broke down
this last sleight in five steps, putting emphasis on hand positions.

Michael also demonstrated and explained his ROPS technique. For those unfamiliar with the technique, in its basic form it is a
technique for stealing a coin out of the hand. It is extremely bold and yet convincing. One minute the coin is there, the next it's gone.
I have to add that the technique relies on a Retention of Vision aspect and is therefore very sensitive to timing. But in Mike's hands
it's really a killer. Long hours of practice in sight ! (Mike's Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights part 3 presents this sleight in detail
as well as several variations on it) Mike also presented the associated click pass.

Mike demonstrated the L'Homme Masqué load as well as his own variation on it (the Fingertip load), as well as Shuttle Passes and Changeover Palms.

But the highlight of the first part was definitely Mike's method for totally vanishing coins, which uses neither sl***ing nor top***ing. After the move
the coin is not in the hands anymore. Again, the method is subtle but not technically-speaking difficult, and it is very, very, clean. During the show that
Michael performed for us in the first 15 minutes of the lecture, he had used the vanish several times and I have to say that I was completely taken in.
I didn't even suspect a move. It went below my radar. Mike also presented several other aspects related to this vanish, including methods to
recover the coins during performance as well as clean-up moves.
perlimpinpin
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of perlimpinpin
'Performance' part of the lecture
---------------------------------
After a short break which gave everyone the occasion to go up to Michael and talk shop, we sat down again for the second part of the lecture, during which
Michael showed us the following effects (these are the original names of the effects and references of where they can be found) :

Then Stand Up Sucker Copper Silver Routine (2004 DVD)
This is a very simple and effective coin transposition effect where two coins (a copper and a silver) change places. Only two coins are used and they are ungimmicked.
The effect uses Michael's Tap load, that he also sometimes calls the Snap load, a novel and bold way to load a coin inside your closed fist.

TripleCoin to Card (1986 DVD)
A Business card and Coin effect where a coin that bears a sticker signed by a spectator repeatedly disappears from the performer's closed fist and
reappears under the tabled business card. At the end of the effect the performer puts the sticker on his business card and hands it
out to the spectator. A very commercial routine, fast paced with the one-two-three repeat rhythm that increases the effect's strength at each
repetition. The effect uses interesting moves which associate card and coin.

Retro Fly (2004 DVD and lecture Notes)
This is Michael's rendition of the Three Fly effect with only ungimmicked coins, with one extra coin being used. Mike has created a smart choreography
for the effect that completely cloaks the discard of the extra coin.

Two Card REverse Matrix (notes and Knockout DVD)
Quadra COin Reverse Matrix (1986 DVD )
Michael demonstrated and explained the Two Card Reverse Matrix effect, which uses four coins and only two cards, and ends with
a jaw-dropping finale where the coins all return to their initial positions at the same time.

Twilight Zone Wild COin (1986 DVD, older version on Knockout DVD)
Merlini Purse Routine (2004 DVD and notes)
These are two versions of the Wild Coin effect, using two presentational slants : in the first Michael uses a slick script reminiscent of
the old 'Twilight Zone' episodes. A cup (extracted from a cups and balls set) is used both as recipient for the coins and as a vehicle to switch out the extra coin.
In the second, the presentation centers around 'an old purse in which one might find the secrets of the wealth and power of the Merlini family.' While both presentations
offer a 'story' basis, I slightly preferred the second. From a performance standpoint it makes us of the purse to perform very visual coin switches.

Spellbound (Silver Lint 4, found in notes and on 2004 DVD)
Spellbound with chocolate coin (wrapped / unwrapped, M&M finale)
Michael presented several versions of Spellbound, as well as several increasingly visual Spellbound moves.
He also put emphasis on the fact that to make a full routine out of Spellbound, it needs a beginning and an end.
The most original version he showed used a chocolate coin which goes from wrapped to unwrapped state, and then back to wrapped state. In the finale, the chocolate coin is
transformed into a shower of M&M's that the performer gives out to the audience. A nice way to present coin magic to kids !

Mint coins
This is not the proper name of this effect (sorry Mike but I don't remember the proper name). I would call it a variation of the Spellbound effect where Mike transforms
a transparent piece of plastic into a coin. The effect makes use of the Gallo pitch, which Michael demonstrated extensively.

Thumb through COin (Knockout COin Magic DVD)
This is a nice, quickie Karate Coin effect. The penetration occurs not on the index but on the thumb. The method makes subtle use of the Ramsay subtelty.

TRiple EG Spelll (Richards Almanac and Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights DVD)
This is a very visual quickie Spellbound effect using three coins where two changes occur in quick succession in a seemingly impossible way. Literally shocking.

Coins through the table
I won't be complete if I don't mention that as part of his show at the beginning of the lecture, Michael did perform a standup version of Coins Through The Table, but unfortunately
we never got to the explanation part !!! Well, that'll be a good reason to get his 2004 DVD, because there was this one move, where he very clearly shows his empty hand going
under the table, all fingers open, and the next minute the coins go through the table and land in his hand. DOn't ask me how, get the DVD !

In Conclusion
-------------
Well, I really liked the lecture. First of all, as you can see from the above description, we went through a LOT of material. Mike both went through some of the most basic sleights of coin magic,
but also showed us complete versions of some of the most classic effects in coin magic : Spellbound, Coins Through the table, Wild Coin, Matrix, Three Fly. What I especially apreciated is that while
Mike's methods are very subtle, they are not technically overwhelming. Finally, Mike is easy to approach and an excellent teacher. I gained a lot by attending the lecture, both in technical proficiency and in confidence.

I hope this review will have convinced you that Mike's lecture was tops. If Mike comes near you and you have a chance to attend, I'm sure you'll benefit generously.

PS : Plus, if you attend, you might also get a chance to see a preview of an upcoming DVD that he and other world-class coin magicians are preparing on the subject of Coins Accross...
tootall
View Profile
Regular user
Central FL
105 Posts

Profile of tootall
Thank you for the reiview. It is very informative. I imagine it was a very fun and memorable event. One question though. What 2004 dvd are you making reference to? Could you please give the name of it?
perlimpinpin
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of perlimpinpin
Hi Tootall,

Happy you enjoyed the review.

That's a reference to the 'Creative Coin Magic' DVD that Mike came out with. You can only order it from Mike directly (PM him on the forum).

You can find a review of the comments on Dan Watkins' excellent website :
http://www.coinvanish.com/reviews6.html#Creative Coin Magic

Best regards
Daniel
Backdoor
View Profile
Regular user
Bismark, ND
117 Posts

Profile of Backdoor
Thanks Perl, great review. Much appreciated. The Good Doctah is a wealth of good information and magic. How was the rest of the event and lectures?
-Only The Shadow Knows...Y'know?
perlimpinpin
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of perlimpinpin
Hi Backdoor

I think you're referring to the Italian event. I didn't attend. The lecture I'm referring to took place in Paris, France. But I heard a few guys talking about it and they said it was tops.

Best regards
Daniel
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Hey, thanks for that great (and comprehensive) review. I had a great time in Europe, meeting up with old friends, and making new ones. A special thanks to Pascal who set everything up, Magic Dreams, and Will who took a day to help me navigate Paris, Cammille from Toulouse, Jean Emmanuelle and Jean Pierre from Marseilles, Roland Meister in Zurich (what a great Magic Bar!), and Jackie in Brussels. Tootall, the 2004 and 1986 lecture DVD's are only available through me, and contain a selection of all new material from my current lecture, as well as some of my favorite routines that I have done over the past 20 years, and still stand up against the test of time. Next stop - the World Magic Seminar in Vegas, and in about two weeks (although there have been hints and rumors up until now) you will all hear about the NEW project from the New York Coin Magic Seminar group, that will for once and for all answer that age old question, "Why did the Coins go across."
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
FRANZIS
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of FRANZIS
I am a french coin man and I wanted to write a few words about the M.RUBINSTEIN’s lecture in Marseille, France.

(Please forgive me for my writing, I am french)

Our magic club had the pleasure of seeing M.RUBINSTEIN’s work.

At a time that flourish is a gool for a lot of conjurers, I mean cutting with cards without any reason, M.RUBINSTEIN had worked on the timing and misdirection, which is magic.

For my sake M.RUBINSTEIN looks like Tony Slydini, coins go throught the table, change and disepear without any strange motion.

Nevertheless his magic is not easy, but his technic is a part of himself (the ROPS for exemple)

During his lecture he showed us that it is possible to perform a lot of magic with a few move only.

I will not describe all the routine he performed, I enjoyed two more precisely, his coins through the table and his triple spellbound.

I was very lucky to spend a few times with M.RUBINSTEIN.

So thanks

Jean Emmanuel
Les Magiciens de Provence
Marseille FRANCE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Review : Michael Rubinstein's Coin Magic Lecture in Paris October 2005 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL