The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A Question about Mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

greengrass
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of greengrass
Hi

Being new to the mentalism side of things could anyone tell me.

How much does metalism require set ups, etc.?

Thanks
Snail
View Profile
Regular user
UK
163 Posts

Profile of Snail
Greengrass, I think you are refering to stooges. I will put my head on the block here and say avoid them.
Mentalism is not really something you can delve into. You can, for instance, learn a decent card-trick in an afternoon. Mentalism requires serious work and application. Years of it. Start out with Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism and Annemann's Practical Mental Magic. These are the basics.
If you are talking about props and setting things up, the more you can work in Mentalism without props, the more realistic and looking like Mind Reading it will appear, i.e. you'll be looking like your using your mind and not trick props. Luke Jermay is particularly skilful at doing shows virtually propless.
greengrass
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of greengrass
Thanks snail

Yes, I was refering to props and setting things up as anything that requires them deosnt really interest me too much.

At least you took the time to answer.

Cheers
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Snail,
Glad you are here.
I have been involved with mentalism for a pretty good while and I did not understand your question either.
It is not that folks don't want to help, it is just that so many trip along trying to get information without putting forth the effort.
By setup, exactly what do you mean?
If you can explain just a bit clearer, I would be happy to help.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
greengrass
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of greengrass
Quote:
On 2005-11-06 19:01, Parson Gary Smith wrote:
Snail,
Glad you are here.
I have been involved with mentalism for a pretty good while and I did not understand your question either.
It is not that folks don't want to help, it is just that so many trip along trying to get information without putting forth the effort.
By setup, exactly what do you mean?
If you can explain just a bit clearer, I would be happy to help.
Peace,
Parson

Hi

As I mentioned above, using props and setting things up before hand, also using stooges, does most mentalism require this or is the majority done without the things mentioned? Sorry but I can't think of a simpler way to put the question.

Cheers
Snail
View Profile
Regular user
UK
163 Posts

Profile of Snail
Ok. Some mentalist advocate the use of stooges. Max Maven writes about them quite freely in his colour series. I personally share the view of someone like Richard Osterlind who would never use a stooge.
Props: I use a pad, a few envelopes, a deck of cards, and an easel for my two and a quarter hour show. Having said that, I've put a shed load of work into my show, as do many others.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Greengrass,
Sorry I called you snail.

While some may use stooges, I do not.
I personally prefer doing things that I can do anywhere, anytime.
I have many, many effects that fit these requirements.
There are some magicians and mentalists who do quite a bit of "setup" work.
While this is not what I prefer, it is certainly a branch of mentalism tht some have used to great benefit.
Some of the world's greatest mentalists have used props and do wonderful shows. But I certainly would not say that the majority of effects require setups.
I would recommend a book called 13 Steps to Mentalism. This book will give you a much better idea of what is required.
I personaly think that in general, mentalism has more to do with what is in your mind than what is on your table.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Snail
View Profile
Regular user
UK
163 Posts

Profile of Snail
And here was I thinking I was receiving a note of welcome!

:)
greengrass
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of greengrass
Parson Gary Smith & Snail

Thanks for your answers, you have answered my question perfectly. I will definitely be looking more into mentalism.

Cheers
Dario
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Dario
By the way greengrass, your question can be answered better if you tell us in wich kind of places are you going to perform. What I can tell you is that 99,99% of mentalists don't use stooges and is looking for a minimalist approach to the art without tricky items.

And please, take it easy if someone answer you like bobster did, at least he has been sincere answering and telling you what a lot of the people that dind't answer you think.

As you can understand we love our art, and we are triying to keep it in good hands that give him the respect and care that it needs.

Hope you do so. Do it and you will be wellcome
Thomas Rudolfo
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria, EU
640 Posts

Profile of Thomas Rudolfo
Well, basicly there's nothing to add to the advices given above. As Parson mentioned, sometimes there are props used as I do in my 2hour stage act. But in this case you cannot compare such props to the usual magic props. The props in mentalism most often are every day objects or at least very common objects to the audience.

But I also prefer just normal objects like Pads (billets), pens and business cards. So with just these few objects you could entertain an audience for one hour or more if necessary.

So to get a first impression about the simlicity of mental props used and routiens with them best sources forbeginners are Corindas' '13 steps to mentalism' and the Crimmins book 'Practical mental magic' about Annemanns' amazing mentalism.

Greetings and all the best
Thomas
Think positive and you'll see, how beautiful your life can be!

www.der-mentalist.net
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Dittos, 13 Steps and anything by Annemann are worth reading and rereading. Great go to sources.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2005-11-07 10:27, Candini wrote:
Dittos, 13 Steps and anything by Annemann are worth reading and rereading.

And rereading... and rereading.... and rereading... ad infinitum.

greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
magicuncle
View Profile
Regular user
Elgin, IL
126 Posts

Profile of magicuncle
Greengrass,
For my two cents worth here, I think I understand what you mean when say that you do not want to perform tricks that require a lot of set up etc....I would say that mentalism is a great branch of magic for using everyday items and making miracles appear to happen. BUT, please don't discount the effects that require that little extra effort like a good stack or prepared whatchamacallit that looks unprepared. If no work is put into something, it will show. I think as you read and grow more knowledgeable about techniques, you will be surprised at how much "set up" was done that you never even noticed because everything looked "normal". The payoff is astonishment by the person(s) you are performing for, set up-work becomes the necessary evil of good performance. With that off my chest, I suggest you learn a good center tear, it's about the most un-set up as you can get and it will take you very far.
Good Luck with your research,
Brian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A Question about Mentalism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL