The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dare To Dream (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Most that know me personally have known to shake their heads at the opportunities I've seem to have. Like the time I was asked to sub at a well known International college for 2 days to teach advanced English Grammar. Egads!! Advanced! I barely know grammar. Still..I rose to the occasion studying 6 hrs to teach the 3 hr class. Boring as heck! The following day I returned with magic and comedy - the director walks in as my class was very noisy with all the laughter spilling out in the hallway. I thought, "oops I'm in trouble now". Nope, turns out he hires me to take over the class and strangely I end up teaching many well known Foreign Dignitaries, including Olympic athletes, relatives of King Fayad, a transportation minister and many other foreign diplomats. People still chuckle about that job as I appeared the least likely to even hold a job like that. The point being - most had studied grammar all their lives and knew it really well, it was getting the nerve to speak it that was another matter. Breaking the ice with comedy and magic allowed me to let everyone relax and the multicultural class was like a mini UN. Everyone became good friends with one another and as English was the language they all had in common, most started speaking it with great fluency.

Then there was the year, I entered three different contest totally unrelated to one another in terms of interest. A gardening contest, comedy magic contest and lastly applied for a Government Grant which included living expenses for a year and all expences paid for a business diploma. Each contest I was told I didn't have a hope in 'ell of obtaining. Not daunted as the "fear of failure" is by far the worse thing that can plagues people, in my opinion. So What? If I never try, I'd fail anyway. The purpose of trying is to gain more knowledge and experience - not to become big headed and show off one's achievements. (Even speaking of this stuff at the moment causes me to cringe a bit as the intention is not to boast).

I visited the library and returned home with 25 books every 3 wks and joined gardening clubs to learn about gardening before I started. (I see a similarity with magic here), Would sit for hours at least once a week to convince the directors of the Government Grant that "yes, a business for childrens entertainment is feasible". Backing this up with a 35 page business plan showing the potential. Relying on letters of reference from all the free shows I had done for organizations (what goes around, comes around) and letters of intent from future customers.

In a nutshell I won the gold medal for gardening for my city, and placed third across the country, was one of the 25 chosen to take part in the Grant and eventually nominated for entrepeneur of the year in the area of ..yup you guessed it Perseverance! Ha Ha! I won the comedy comp too, as I entered with the intention of gaining experience and just having fun, never with the intention of winning as the sole purpose.

I kinda like when I'm told, "no it's impossible", "can't be done" or the one that really gets me motivated " YOU?". The thing is: there are always people smarter, better looking, richer than you, perhaps perseverance is the key to standing out. Believing in oneself and continuing to remain humble.

At the moment I'm viewing a piece of property that is making my friends eyes roll...appears to be a dumping ground for junk and debris. I see the potential of it! Turning into the forever home for the numerous elderly dogs and cats that are never adopted at shelters, a magic camp, a Bed and Breakfast.. etc..The potential is there if you dare to dream. Perhaps the abandoned "ARK" that is currently amongst the junk is a sign. Someone has already bid on the property and I only find out on Tuesday if I still have a chance to bid on it as well if things don't work out for the first buyers.

So there goes my long ramble and hopefully my point came across that Believe in yourself and anything is possible.

Chrystal
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
388 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Look up and find Claude Bristol's "The Magic of Believing." It was republished about ten years ago after an initial run in the mid-1900s, and the book is probably still for sale on Amazon.com. It is my bible.

Also, visit this website ( http://www.asamanthinketh.net/ ) and download the classic, FREE ebook entitled "As A Man Thinketh" by James Allen.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dare To Dream (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL