The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Charging extra for illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Does anyone charge extra for something extra in their show,
such as the chair suspension, etc.?

If so, how much extra do you charge?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Joe Howard
View Profile
Loyal user
The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
204 Posts

Profile of Joe Howard
Frank,

Are you referring to birthday shows, or something larger ?

I used to offer 2 shows for birthdays. I would always offer the bigger show first. It had a live rabbit and some type of "illusionette". The price would be about 1 1/2 times my normal rate. If they balked at the price I would offer a "slightly smaller" show at my normal rate.

I know others offer illusions and so on as an "add-on" for an additional fee, but I could never get anyone to buy the add-on. (I think it has more to do with my salesmanship than the idea.) I got better results by offering 2 different shows.

If I did it now, I think I would double my price for the bigger show. It takes a lot more work, more trips to the car, the room has to be just right, the space big enough, etc. etc.

Joe H
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I'm talking about birthday shows.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I have three smallish illusions I perform for stage or school shows that I would charge an extra twenty-five bucks apiece to cover the nuisance charge of transport. They are a walk-away suspension, the Salem Witch Hitch (an illusion of my own patterened after the grandmothers necklace effect - Check MUM magazine sometime around the mid seventies) and the visible saw using the saber saw and a platform built especially to make it look more grande!

I've never offered any for a birthday party because of the uncertainty of the venue. I have worked in some mighty cramped places and I'd hate to have promised something that would have been difficult to deliver. I too have read that you can present an illusion add on as adding value by asserting it adds some of the largesse of the "Vegas" type act - although I am not sure I could actually say that with a straight face. And some have even said thay can get several hundred dollars more for it - I am doubtful but willing to learn if anyone has done so.

As for my party shows, my less expensive show is priced at the amount I wanted in the first place and the larger show at an extra fifty. Most take the longer show and those who don't still make me happy. Smile

Frank Tougas

BTW - If anyone out there actually has that issue of MUM and would either be willing to sell me your copy or at the least photocopy my trick please PM me.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Joe Howard
View Profile
Loyal user
The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
204 Posts

Profile of Joe Howard
Quote:
I too have read that you can present an illusion add on as adding value by asserting it adds some of the largesse of the "Vegas" type act - although I am not sure I could actually say that with a straight face.

I think that was my problem.

Quote:
Most take the longer show and those who don't still make me happy. Smile

Same here. As I got older, I was just as happy to not have to lug the extra stuff around. Nowadays, I have one fee for a birthday show. I just do what I do and charge what I think is a reasonable fee. I have the advantage of being well established around here, and I get a lot of inquiries asking for me by name. Ideally I would like someone to book me, not a magician-by-the-pound, and throw in some cole slaw for an extra 50¢. But different things work for different people, so Frank, you might try the illusion upgrade and find that it works great for your market.

Joe H
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Always charge more for adding Illusions in any shows-Give them something special!!

They cost you money to build or buy-& theres the set up time & transport etc

You don't have to perform Illusions at every show!!
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Frank Tougas is correct that it is not practical to do a larger illusion at a birthday party. You just never know if the performing conditions will allow it. Usually they do not.

Also, consider this...you might get an extra $50 to do a chair suspension, but you cut down on the amount of shows you can do in one day. So you make an extra $50 at two shows, when you could have done a third show and made much more!

Finally, I don't want my customers thinking the rest of my tricks are small and crappy. That's basically what you are saying by charging extra money for a big trick!

Instead, make more money from every show by offering add-on sales like goody bags, magic books or magic kits. There have been plenty of threads on this topic.

I know some people charge extra for bringing a bunny. But I've never used one myself.

Best,
James
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Upsell it as a photo-op! That's what I did when I did birthdays! A great way to "close the sale"!
;-)

Chris
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I offer an illusion in my deluxe show as well as other add-ons to spur the choice of the more expensive deluxe show. It's fun to do, but it's a royal pain in the a** to do as well. The set up, the break down, the worry about doing it behind my curtain so I don't expose the trick, the angles, not to mention my aching back. I feel relief when I don't have to do it. I want to charge more money for it to make myself feel better about all that work. I keep upping the price so far. James' point is a good one. It definately slows me down to the next show, but that's another issue I am struggling with. Getting in and out in a timely manner. I had four shows this past weekend. Three on Saturday. I was late to two of them.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Jim,

You raise an excellent point about getting in and out in a timely manner.
It's not too difficult to fix. Just think about the tricks and props that take the most time to set up and break down and see if you can't find another trick to replace it!

Obviously you already know that being late for a show is something you really want to avoid. You can do a fantastic show and the only thing they will tell their friends is that you turned up late.

It's hard to let go of a great trick, but if it is losing you shows because it takes to long to set up, you have to let it go.

My birthday magic show takes 10 minutes to set up and 10 minutes to break down. As you know, my birthday magic class is instantly ready to go. Both shows fit in a single toolkit briefcase so I don't break my back. This means I can easily do 3 or 4 and occasionally 5 shows in a day, even if they are not close together.

And ultimately in the process of cutting down on oversized props, I think I have created a better show, because I was forced to focus on ME as a performer and less on the props.

Best,
James
johnnymagic
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of johnnymagic
I always want my birthday show to be the best it can be and part of the deal is Bunny and the Chair suspension. I can get in and out without any problems. I have a set fee for this show and that is what I charge everyone. My upgrade for schools and larger venues is Grand Illusions with an assistant and a stage hand that has to be paid also. Therefore the price goes up...
Out of all the magicians I know, you're one of 'em...

www.johnnymagicmemphis.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I offer extras for the "Deluxe" show, but they are not illusions. I add things like balloons, a magic kit for the b-day kid, and a custom t-shirt which all the guests sign. I find that about 80% book the deluxe show (more than I would pay for my kid's birthday!)
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Starrpower,

I love the t-shirt idea with all the guests signing it.

Best,
James
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Quote:
On 2005-11-08 01:42, JamesinLA wrote: I had four shows this past weekend. Three on Saturday. I was late to two of them.

Jim

Hi Jim, I'm really surprised. What sort of reaction did you recieve when you were late. Don't you give yourself enough time between shows?

I've never been late for a show in all the years I've performed, and I always do two or more shows every Saturday and Sunday. It is really unprofessional to turn up late unless you had a really genuine excuse.

Best wishes,

Billy
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
I never charged more for adding larger props. I would only do it for my own experience and fun. My show is performed out of a doc bag on a stand that contains 3 larger props in itself and my semi large ampspeaker.

Today I am marketing a new show at an additional cost. It seems that my neighborhood birthday party market are quite thirsy for new material and I have something, that others don't, to offer. Threfor the price is justified for being something new and unique.
As far as selling extras - I don't bother with all those party goodies but I am now preparing 3 dvds and I imagine I could sell them as extras or use them as giveaways to to the birthday child as a form of sales pitch.

Enjoy,
Dani
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
One of my agents told me I can't charge more for specific tricks. So if I use that special illusion or trick, I substitute it for something else and use more time to do it. I would like to get more just to make up for transporting.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I agree, Billy. The second show I was late for wasn't by much, but it was Los Angeles traffic combined with not leaving quite enough time. The 3rd show, my keys got locked in the car and I had to wait for triple-A to save the day. I offered the client to do the show for nothing more than the deposit but they all loved it so much they wanted to pay the full price. I gave them extra stuff to help make up for being late. I hate being late. How much time do you leave yourself between shows? How long does it take to break down your show and set it up again? How many trips to the car does it take to get everything out for you? Thanks. These are the issues that I am struggling with.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
I always will try and upsell assuming they either have the room or willing to rent the room. You'd be surprised how many want only "The Best" for their child. It's a pride thing amungst the alpha males in our society. Have your only birthday show called "The Deluxe Show" but then say "If you have the room, I have a full stage show with computer controlled lighting and Copperfield type Illusions that will blow your socks off" It's usually $800 and up depending on the venue but I'll perform it at your party for $450 just so I can cover my costs and wear and tear. For many more than you are giving credit to, the answer will be SOLD!!! (Of course you gotta have the lights and the illusions but you can adapt)

Honestly, if their next response is "How much room do you need"? then you have already sold the higher priced show.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
James -

Yes, it's a nice souvenir. I had a graphic artist create a logo with a top hat and a wand sprinkling stars into the hat (I know it's cliche, but it says MAGIC to the viewer.) My name is beneath it. It's simple black-on-white screened design, but looks very nice. It's great that they have something to remember everyone at the party, and even better that MY NAME is emblazoned on an item that will be worn or placed in a scrapbook for years to come. The shirts cost me under $3 each (I bought 3 sizes, but on the next order I'll do away with the 6-8 size -- too small!) and I also sell them at shows for $7.

nucinud, screw the agent. You get what you can get. If the agent wants to make more $$$, he'll upsell, too. Sounds like he's lazy to me, and I think he gave you poor advice. Maybe HE follows those rules when he sells you, but obviously most of us here don't, and you don't have to, either.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Quote:
On 2005-11-07 23:38, chris mcbrien wrote:
Upsell it as a photo-op! That's what I did when I did birthdays! A great way to "close the sale"!
;-)

Chris

I really like the idea of using something such as the chair suspension or flying carpet illusion as a photo-op. Pictures could be on your website and flyers so folks would know what you're talking about during a phone conversation.

Are there situations where the performing area of a birthday party is too small for such a mini-illusion? And how would that work out if such an illusion is included in the standard show to help "close the sale", rather than being used as an upgraded version (i.e. higher price)?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Charging extra for illusions (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL