The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Party Order (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

franksbank
View Profile
New user
UK, second star on the right
19 Posts

Profile of franksbank
Hi all, I have a question about the order in which things are best arrranged for childrens parties. I've looked for other threads on this issue but haven't yet found one so I hope I'm not duplicating work here. If I am, my apologies.

I have a booking for a corporate childrens Christmas party. I asked what time they would like me to 'go on' and they've come back with 'Err, we're not sure. We have two hours to fit things in and there will be some games, a face painter, you the magician and some food. Oh, and possibly a balloon modeller too. What order do you think we should do it all in?'

So I'm wondering what the best schedule might be. I'm thinking:

Face painting: gets them decorated for the fun to follow
Games: gets them worn out ready to sit and watch the magic
Magic: gradually calms them down ready for food
Balloons
Food
Presents distribution (also mentioned by client)

Perhaps the balloons while eating.

I would be really interested in your views on scheduling a party and how things work for you. Your comments and advice will be most gratefully received.

Cheers
FB
Levity rules and rules don't.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
In two hours, that is not a lot of time. But I definately would suggest the facepainter to start when guests are arriving...very time consuming.

I find games can sometimes be a distraction while perfoming. Some kids just can't watch a show when there is a basketball dunk carnival game over there. Of course, if the games are not carnival types and are played by everyone at the same time (simon says, bingo...) they can come before.

Food can take 1/2 hour to an hour and you definately do not want to be performing while they eat. Although with time restraints this might be the best time to have a captive audience.

I would suggest balloons after the show, but considering the time restraint, in order for everyone to get a balloon, they might do it at the same time as the facepainter.

Present distribution is definately last since people leave as soon as the presents are handed out.

So where do you fit in? Anywhere you can!

This is how I would advise the client...due to time restraints

Facepainting/Balloons 00:00-01:00
Food at the beginning till 00:45 (assuming snack food..hot dogs, chips, cookies..)
Games running till end of first hour
Magic show 01:00-01:30
Present distribution and more games 01:30-02:00

This is assuming that there is a large number of families as well. If there are only 20 families, the balloon artist can do 1/2 hour after show which is ideal for you (no balloon fights during the show). The balloon artist can get the kids waiting for presents, or even make a sculpture as the child comes and gets the present.

All in all, there really isn't a lot of time for everything
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I agree with Bill to a point. Facepainting should certainly be an "As they walk through the door" activity. However, I would personally place games in the first hour before the food. Parents are going to want to mingle, meet & greet before they eat and they'll want the children occupied. Plus, as you mentioned, Frank, this helps to use up some of that excess energy.

Games should finish and be stored away at the end of the first hour.

Chances are this is going to be a buffet style banquet, so the food will probably be served about 30-45 minutes into the event. This gives time for folks to socialize, kids to play and everyone's appetite to settle down.

The balloons are the problem for me. If they MUST have balloon, offer them during the first hour. Chances are they'll be making swords and such...which will lead to further horseplay. Not what you want during dinner or your show. In my opinion, the facepainter and the balloon artist should both be gone before your show starts to avoid distraction.

Like Bill...I would prefer the balloons AFTER the show, if at all...but this doesn't fit the available timetable. Your magic show and the persents should be the hightlight and grand finale for the evening.

I would recommend the magic show as a finale leading into the present distribution. As you close your show you can either produce ot introduce Santa or the organizer. This, to me, is a logical progression.

Whatever they decide to do, follow up your show with a written review of how things went and what you would suggest differently for future events of this nature. Keep this for your future use...unless the organizers ask for your input.

Break a leg!
Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Trouble with face-painting at the start is that kids make a terrible mess of it when eating. I personally would do the show nearer the start before everything else then you won't end up waiting for kids to finish eating/getting a balloon/having there face-painted before starting the show. Games, facepainting and balloons can probably all happen at the same time.
George
franksbank
View Profile
New user
UK, second star on the right
19 Posts

Profile of franksbank
This is all good stuff. Thanks Bill, Skip and George.

I agree that 2 hours is a very small time slot in which to fit so much activity. They've asked me to do up to an hour so they'll need to work some of their own magic to fit the rest in by the looks of things! I'll keep my slot to 45 mins...

Having thought about it more and read the comments here I may well recommend that the balloon artist idea be put to one side (and left there) for this event. Especially as the head count for children at their party last year was around 60. That's the gauge they're using for this year, and I don't relish the idea of that many inflated swords swash-buckling their way around my head as I attempt to pull an elephant out of my ear or some such miraculous effect. They will each be getting a present (at the end, perfect sense) so removing the balloons shouldn't take much/anything away from the kids' "look what I got Dad" enjoyment.

There are interesting and opposing views here already, which demonstrates my dilemma. I agree that face painting before food is a problem as it makes a mess of the artistry. I also agree that putting the magic show to near the end makes for a better climactic finish to the proceedings. The trouble is I can see a lot of sense in pretty much all the comments here. It is becoming easier to 'see it' now though, as having other opinions laid out in front of me helps to verify my own thoughts and to tweak things.

So far then I have adjusted my draft schedule to:

Face Painting on arrival and during the initial 'mingle'
Games, to wear them out a bit (some face painting may continue into early games).
Food, to wind the little angels down a bit (unless there's a load of additives in the cakes, in which case I'm off!)
Me the magic man, eventually winding them back up ready for 'Santa'.
The presents.
The packing up and going home for a nice cuppa and some bad telly.

I will definitely take up the idea of writing a review afterwards. I'm building up a 'big ideas' book so I'll add it to that. It will prove very useful in the future for sure. Thanks for the tip there Skip.

Many thanks indeed, and keep the comments coming. I have a month!
Cheers
Frank (FB)
Levity rules and rules don't.
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
I'm with george on this one. You realy want to get in and out before things start getting to bustly.

I would actualy say - spread the table in readiness but have it covered so that it doesn't defer their attention. start with a small side table with some cold drimks and crisps (chips) as a nosh as they start to arrive, maybe with some soft music in the background.
after about 15 minutes you should announce that you would like to begin, gather the crown and start off by telling them what is planned for the rest of the function. (this way you will not only be the magician but also the MC which I am sure they will apreciate).
Do your show for about 35 minutes.

50 mintues to an hour have already gone by now.
After the show I would seperate them into two groups and pass one group over to the awaiting balloonist and one group over to the awaiting face painter. This could keep them all busy for a good half hour mixing and mingling and going from one to another. then - an hour and a half into things, they would have all built up a good appetite. So this is the time to turn the music up a notch, ramove the table covering and let them dive into the goodies.

This is what I would suggest.
You see anything else will just disturb the process of your show.
Balloons before your show willcould burst during your show setting off possible tears.
If the food is open, you could find yourself performing in front of kids treapsing back and forth from the table to your front row.
Face painting could also get messy if a kid looks at the guygirly next to himher and starts laughing hystericly during your one serious routine.

Give it some though - I am very good at organizing parties like these from experience.

enjoy,
Dani
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Party Order (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL