The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Muscle reading (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rhombus
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Rhombus
Hi I've been experimenting with muscle reading everyday for several months now with little success. I have tried with several friends, with different contact points, learning from a variety of sources, predominantly Banacheks book and dvd. I have worked with one friend, more than the others, as she gave the strongest impulses and was willing to help and have reached the stage in which I am correct approximately 90% of the time when muscle reading with her. However when reading other subjects I am much less successful. This weekend I purchased some new magic and neglected my muscle reading practise for a few days, yesterday I returned to practising (with the friend, whom I have achieved greatest success), and my success rate has plummited! Obviously it will be hard to impress people with a skill that only works on one friend if I practise everyday!
I am wondering if anyone else has experienced similar problems whilst learning this skill and if (and how) they overcame them. I am desperate to learn muscle reading and would be greatful of any advice anyone could offer. I am also wondering about the instructions given to the subject as I am sure this can influence how seriously they take the test and consequently the success rate. Also if anyone has come across any subtlies such as asking the spectator to feel the hand moving, which seem to increase success rate. Thanks
Thomas Rudolfo
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria, EU
640 Posts

Profile of Thomas Rudolfo
Hi Rhombus,

It's quite late here in Austria already but I'ver read your post and had the urge to try to help you. I hope it will.

Well, I do perform MR sometimes in my show and sometimes in informal situations. Basicly you already are going the right way.

But its also improtant, as I discovered, that you don't try to think too much about getting ideomotoric signals. Moreover it should come to you while the helper hold your hand. So you have to be in a kind of relaxed mood instead of a cramped situation. I know this can happen very easily when you don't receive signals at first.

It takes some time to kind of calibrate yourself to the ideomotoric response and there are people from whom you receive it stronger than from others.
I know its hard to describe in words. It also can be difficult to feel somethinkg as the sender not really thinks of the action. So if he mentally want you to go to the right sometimes he not only has to think right but also really picture it in his mind as you are going to the right.

It's also wise to start with routines where you know the outcome as Banachek suggests in his book psychological thoughreading.

A good method, as I also discovered, is that you realy try to calibrate yourself. To do this you please your helper to close her eyes and whle holding your hand you give him the command when to think of the right side f.i. ANd when she thinks of the right side to also turn the head into the direction and to picture it in her mind as you go there.

With this method you know the time WHEN she thinks of the action and maybe so you can feel any signal.

So, I hope I could help you a little bit though I'm very tired now. Maybe I can find more bits of help your you.

But I also would suggest that you PM Banachek since he is a member at the Café so maybe he could give you some valuable advices.

Greetings
Thomas
Think positive and you'll see, how beautiful your life can be!

www.der-mentalist.net
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Dear Rhombus,
(which is Greek for an oblique-angled parallelogram, whilst carrying the Latin suggestion that: 'sneaky is best')
I can tell you that I'm now close to giving up muscle-reading and considering using stooges. It's just too hard. If there's anything else I can help you with please just ask.
Welcome to 'The Café'.

Bobser
ps: I use invisible th***d
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
kbiehler
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of kbiehler
Try reading the book "Practical Mindreading". You can find it on line at the learned pig project. The term muscle reading is used as a way to mimic contact mind reading and explains it as the result of iedomotor responces. It may be iedomotor responces but these are so subtel they are not felt. If you put your self in the frame of mind that you can actualy do it for real it just starts to happen. When it does happen you can always explain your positive results as muscle reading even though you are not concess of any movement being felt. If you try it this way your resulys might startle you. Kent
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
698 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
No.

The whole point of muscle reading is to do just that: read what the muscles are telling you. You must be cognizant of what they're doing and what they're saying to you.

Using the same subject over and over will make your success rate drop. This is because, like unconscious (unintentional) movement, you will get unconscious (and sometimes conscious) inhibitory responses. In other words, the subject will start thinking about what is happening and take measures to stop it--and that may be both intentional and/or unintentional.

Picking the right subject for MR is finding the right combination of agreeability, intelligence and suggestibility in a person. Thus, bringing someone up on stage is vastly different than, say, using someone at a dinner party. In informal settings, you must test more carefully first to guarantee success (conversely, onstage, you can use almost anyone).

The general rule of MR is that it should ALWAYS be easy. If the signals are not clear or if they cannot be felt, then you should change subjects immediately.
Rhombus
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Rhombus
Hi again!,
I just wanted to thank everyone for their tips and suggestions I've got some great info to work with and think about!
Joe Russell
View Profile
Veteran user
Buffalo NY
397 Posts

Profile of Joe Russell
When setting up a situation were you do muscle reading, do it with a bunch of people. For example your at a party and you tell some one to hide your finger ring so you leave the area and every one else in the room witnesses the placement of the ring. So now if your having trouble reading some one you can switch on and off with different people, so it seems that many people are participating but in actuality your just picking the best candidate.
Who is Tattoo Joe?
hypnotized
View Profile
New user
germany
1 Post

Profile of hypnotized
When I tried muscle reading the first time with a friend, I had great succes, I could manage to guess the right corner three times in different rooms - let's see if it works with other persons as well..
Real knowledge is to know that you know nothing.
okbohn
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of okbohn
I watched the Banachek video--read some of his stuff, tried it out on my wife....and promptly decided it was more than I could manage
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2005-11-09 23:39, kbiehler wrote:
Try reading the book "Practical Mindreading". Kent

Surely that is a shut eye book
TJ
:)
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
I do Hellstromism, but my method is EXACTLY the opposite of Banachek's method, due to the differences in our personalities. Audiences tend to fight me, whereas they seem willing to lay down their first born for Steve. I have to use that knowledge, and take advantage of it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Muscle reading (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL