The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Performing close-up seated at a table - for money (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dominik
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
143 Posts

Profile of dominik
Walk-around magic appears to be the most obvious way to perform close-up professionally. And E.T. seems to work even tradeshows with nothing more than a deck of cards (as far as I can tell from his DVD). But where can you perform close-up magic seated at a table?

While my walk-around act is not ready yet, I realise by now I get great, stunned reactions performing for friends and relatives from the act I do seated. Even some fellow magicians in my area enthused about it. Therefore, I would just love to use those very items for professional work.

In the book "David Roth's Expert Coin Magic", some tricks are referred to as "formal table items" in the chapter's introduction. But where, I wonder, do you really get a chance to perform close-up magic, seated at a table, and for money?
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Dominik,

I perform standing, but adult home parties are a good venue to do a seated show.

The only thing you need to do is make sure everyone can see the table top. Bring a small table and put a deck of cards under each of the back legs to tilt it toward the audience.

Your problem is that by developing an act that must be performed on a table, you are seriously limiting the places you can perform and hence the amount of work you will get.

Most routines can be brought from the table to the hands with a bit of thought.

Finally, for those who say it can't be done, B.B. King performs his entire concert seated!

Best,
James
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
I am currently selling to good effect a new show to my Roving customers

After Dinner Roving I call it.

Essentially I perform at the large round dinner tables (8-12 seats) at Corporate events.

I sell it along side my standard roving show-- where I perform at pre dinner drinks.

It is possible- You just gotta sell it right.

You can also set up your own table- a good way to sell it is to say that instead of the magician walking up to the audience- the audience comes up to me at their own leasure. Because at each evvent you get some people that Like to see a performance and then some people that absolutly LOVE it and can't get enough of it.

by being seated- I'm easy to find when they bring their friends over and more people can see if I'm seated

It can work and it does work well

People hire Tarot Readers who sit down and read tarot one person at a time

You sell on the fact that after a Cartoonist or tarot reader has drawn a picture or tarot someone----a magiciann has performed for 10 people 10 cartoons +100 people entertained by a magician

Event Managers love this as they get more for their money.

So yes it does work---just work on your angle
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Just request a table and sit down. Very rarely do I do literally walk around styled magic. I sell a, "Close up Show." I get a table; set up chairs in front the way I want- and shabang shaboom: we have a miniature theatre! Gotta ask for the table though! Never assume that it might be there when you get there. Ha- then you're forced to walk around. Ugh- I resented when that happened!

best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magicianâ„¢
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Performing close-up seated at a table - for money (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL