The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Potter Experience (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Well, the weekend is finally over, and I can finally kick my feet up and relax again (as I'm currently doing).

It was a busy weekend performing at two local theaters (Famous Players and Cineplex Odeon), but it really was a blast! At times it was slow-going, as there were few people mingling about in the theaters, but at other times it was non-stop performing.

I handed out a lot of brochures, and have booked three shows so far (two birthdays, and one wedding reception where I entertain the children). I also did some BOR sales for the very first time. I had a magic set with five tricks in it, a magic book with tricks for kids, and plastic magic wands. Sales weren't as great as expected for the sets or books, but the wands were popular (I told people they were Harry Potter wands, and for this event they were!).

Two highlights (out of the many) which come to mind:

1. After seeing me perform, one boy, about 13 years old, asked me if I accepted tips. I said that while tips are not required, they are certainly appreciated. He reached into his pocket, pulls out a Loonie (that's a one-dollar coin in Canada), and says, "This is all I have left (after buying popcorn, etc.), but I want you to have it." Of course I accepted it very gratefully, and secretly wished that more adults had the same appreciative attitude as this teenager had.

2. After performing a few little magical items for a five year old girl who was in the line-up for the movie (and who was dressed as one of the movie characters), she looked up at me with a big smile on her face and said, "Wow, I feel like I'm standing in front of Harry Potter!" Smile

If anyone else did any Potter magic this weekend, I'd love to hear about it.

Brian
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
Wow, sounds like you had one heck of a time. The 13 year old story is great!
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I can’t believe you took that little boys last dollar. Smile

Sounds like you did have a busy weekend

Great job, Great story.

Tom
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
All I can say is that I am moving to Canada? I also performed for the theater near me for the Harry Potter preview but man was it a nitemare of an experience. I talked a bit about it in the bad kids thread in this section incase anyone wants details. I clearly chose the wrong theater to perform in. Canada is looking really good about now. =)

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Quote:
On 2005-11-20 22:45, magic4u02 wrote:
I also performed for the theater near me for the Harry Potter preview but man was it a nitemare of an experience.
Kyle

I read about your experience in the other thread, and all I can say is that you had much more restraint with that guy than I would have! Smile

Other than two 12-year old boy hecklers that I had (nothing serious -- "I saw it go up his sleeve", etc.), the only thing that happened that bothered me was when I was doing Card Warp for a group of about 7 women. Four were teens, and the other three were adults. After making the card change the first time, one of the ladies asked if she could push the card through. Of course she could, but she must do it slowly in order for the magic to happen. So she pushed the card through fine, and as I was about to turn to my right so the teens could get a better look, the lady grabs the top of the card and tried to pull it all the way out! She actually exposed it to her lady friends! All three of them start laughing, as the one who did it gets praise from the other two.

What jerks! Without missing a beat, I quickly put the card back in, turned towards the teens, who didn't quite catch the exposure, and proceeded to finish the effect (much to their delight). Rather than addressing the three women (they were probably in their 40's or 50's), I simply turned my back on them, ignored them, and proceeded to work for the much more polite teens. After finishing the trick, I thanked the girls for being such a good audience, and I moved on down the line.

The main theater that I worked in has a lot of staff, and would not allow any unruly teens to hang around. They were very good to me and my co-workers. Besides myself, I had two other magicians working with me, along with my wife, daughter, and daughter's friend (manning the BOR table). The theater made sure we had drinks and food throughout the two days (burgers, pizza, tacos, KFC, whatever we wanted, complimentary -- all of these little food kiosks are within the theater -- we were disappointed that there were no steak and lobster kiosks!). In fact, the manager wanted us to come back for a few more days, but other work obligations prevented us from doing so. Great experience overall.

So Kyle, come on up to Canada! We'd love to have you! Smile

Brian
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I performed at a fund raiser for a local daycare facility out on one of the islands. They sell the tickets at 25.00 dollars a pop and have door prizes, awards for costumes and go all out with extravagant decorations.
In the past there was a mixed audience of adults and kids of all ages but this time it was nearly all thirteen to seventeen year olds.
I did a stage show in the theater before the movie and while the kids were rowdy they were manageable and they all enjoyed the show. Many had seen me before at the previous showings and treated me like a minor celebrity, sort of like they do to a couple of the old kid show icons in these parts that are still alive and do personal appearences.
All in all a two thumbs up experience.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Brian: Thanks so much. It is nice to know if I am ever headed to Canada, I will be welcomed. =) The problem here is that I picked the wrong theater to perform at. Now I know. They did NOT have adequate staff to control the main problem they had there. That was teens using the theater as a hang out spot to just hang around and cause problems. It happens I guess. Live and learn and I can now laugh about the situation.

I have a great theater show this Saturday and it is our largest show to date and we have been in production on the show for months. It certainly should be a fun time and should go much better.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Shows over the last few weeks, were not Potter related.

I still have pleasant memories of being the "voice" of the sorting hat at Harry Potter 1/2 Blood...events last summer.

This was used as part of my stint as a guest speaker at a middle school drama class last week. 6 programs in one day was a bit much for this nearly normal guy.

Next year when I return, we will break it down into two half day sessions.

Be safe, well and creative.

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist and Nearly Normal Speaker
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Potter Experience (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL