The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Another CP question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mightyred75
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of mightyred75
I have been nothing but CP for the last 6 weeks trying to improve muscles in hand, and transferring coin into CP, but when I put my hand down on the table my third and little finger seem to roll over a little, and my thumb seems to do the same thing. Is there anyway I can elevate this problem?
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
Can you explain in a bit more detail, what do you you mean by "roll Over"?
mightyred75
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of mightyred75
When I put my hand down on table finger and thumb is rolling showing my fingerprint side. that's the best way if explaining it. Sorry if this doesn't help.
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
620 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Don't put your hand on down on the table then.

What is the reason why you would be doing that? Is there a specific effect that calls for putting your hand down on the table? Is it to prove your hand is "empty"? If you act like your hand is empty and grab an object, a pencil or something, with a natural grip, the spectators will not suspect you have anything hidden within your palm. There should never be a reason to overprove your hand is empty or normal... well almost never.

...just my opinion
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
Malcolm Kavalsky
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Malcolm Kavalsky
Or when putting your hand on the table, many magii put their hand down in a loose fist and drop the coin onto finger-tip rest to relax the hand ..
wattomagic
View Profile
New user
Sydney Australia
68 Posts

Profile of wattomagic
Hi. Its is possible to place your hand flat on a table with a coin CP. Just watch david Roth he can do it with 4 coins. With a lot of time and practice I can do it pretty well with one. Also you say you have been practicing it full on for 6 weeks, don't do it for a week and I bet you will be better at palming a coin.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Wattomagic please go back and read TomKMagic's post!There is a lot of wisdom and truth therein.

Rich
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
620 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Malcolm, I do that also. When I am walking place to place, I actually practice going from classic to finger to classic to finger... etc. It helps with speed and agility.

wattomagic, you do have a good point about letting the hand rest for a little while. When I practice the classic, I am brutal on my hands. I put the coin in its spot and then exaggerate the action and bring my thumb close to my pinky and use my other hand to squeeze them together. Eventually, you will have a black and blue ring where the coin was. I am not recommending this method, it is just the method that I chose to use, and it worked for me to build up the muscles and calluses. My actual palming practicing is not like this squeezing practicing. The squeezing is just for building up. But you also do need to let your hand rest for a few hours or few days.

Thanks for agreeing PaleoMagi.

To the others, of course it is possible to lay your hand relatively flat. I prefer to lay my hand on the table in such a manner that it would look the same (or similar) as when I have nothing in my hand and it is just a normal, natural resting position on the table. When you are standing and your hands are at your sides, look at them in just a natural, hanging state. Are they perfectly flat...? I am guessing that almost all humans would have hands that curve in slightly (well the fingers curved slightly). I think it would look un-natural if we all walked around with our hands stretched out and flat. Of course if we all did that, maybe flat might be considered natural. Anyways, if the effect doesn't specifically call for your hand to be perfectly flat, then there is no need to actually perform with a flat hand while palming a coin.

This deck of cards is perfectly normal, nothing unusual about it, nothing strange, just regualr cards... Doesn't that sound like overproving a normal deck of cards? Same thing applies to coins and even lots of other magic. If you treat it as a normal object (or moves), the audience has no reason to suspect otherwise.

Here is one simple exercise you can do if you want to practice palming 24/7. Take a pencil and hold it in your hand like you would if you wanted to write with it (try other objects too). Now, place a coin (I use silver dollars, but use whatever size coin you wish to practice with) in your hand and you will find a nice nesting position in which you will not need to modify your hand position much, if any. It might take a few tries to get a good position. You should be able to write without the coin falling out. Note: this position will likely be different than a more flat classical palm position, but if you practice multiple positions for a classic, then you will be better prepared to make it look natural under any circumstance. Be sure to take some breaks, as that black and blue ring will become sore, and you should allow the blood to circulate again.

I have also held a coin palmed in each hand during entire movies, walking to class or during class (when I was in college), writing papers, and more. I have even fallen asleep in bed with a coin palmed and woke up with it still there.

Try palming razor blades. I can get a perfectly flat hand with one of these in classic. LOL

Anyway, this is all my opinion…
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Another CP question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL