The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Invisible Deck on Stage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jared Sherlock
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
245 Posts

Profile of Jared Sherlock
I absolutely love this effect and yesterday when I was writing my set lay out for my new illusion sow I had a small 3-4min gap to fill. I thought it could be fun to do a interpretation of the invisible deck on the Stage.

However the problem arrives when you try and present it to a 600 seat theater from the stage. Without a budget like DC and some others not wanting to mess with Live camera projection. I am trying to come up with a way to perform this where it will have the same impact as being right in the lap of everyone in there even though they wont be on stage helping.

Do they make an JUMBO INVISIBLE deck? As I brainstorm I look forward to any replies.

-Jared
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, they make jumbo invisible decks and brainwaves.

But Blackstone used a regular deck in 2000 seat houses. You have to get a person close to the front and work the effect for him. The rest is pure presentation.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Right Richard... it is all presentation. All sell. And the bits of business leading up to the climax.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Jared- I have used a jumbo Invisible deck for over 20 years now, and it is a great stage effect. PM me and I'll tell you a really cool way to do it.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Hi-

Ive written a few threads on Invisible deck especially for large auditoriums we play in with our 2 hr Magic/Illusion /Hypnosis shows.

I too use this as a filler between music effects & this version plays so strong & gets a great reaction.

My version-

I use a Jumbo Invisible deck & make sure your Microphone is up in volume so everybody can see & hear what is going on & use a few gags, etc,

Have a person who has a cell phone & can call someone stand up-everyone must see them.

Tell the usual story of reversing a card in the deck before today's show,etc. & now you will send a mental image of that card to their cell phone!!

Have them ring a friend, colleague etc.

Get the whole crowd to say Hi, etc.

Ask them to have there friend on the phone to think & name any card-Get them to yell it out back to you so everyone can hear, etc.

Recap what has happened & I get the audience to applaud the person standing & their friend as its them that have performed a miracle as the 1 card I reversed before coming today just happens to be........, etc.

Works well, plays strong & uses the audience.

There are different versions for interaction having an object thrown-sponge brick, etc. naming card & suit, colour etc but the phone format plays strong in large venues.

I stand right at the front of the stage -bright lighting shows the card & at certain venues you can hear a pin drop while performing this -The cellphone version is my strongest & always plays strong to a lay audience.

Good Luck!!!!!!!
Jared Sherlock
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
245 Posts

Profile of Jared Sherlock
Great, the cell phone idea is very creative and I'm sure it got huge reactions from your audiences. Thank you, I beleive that the Jumbo Size will work out.

-Jared
Marc Levine
View Profile
Regular user
South Florida
125 Posts

Profile of Marc Levine
Love the cell phone idea. I would go a step further and find a random person by throwing something into the audience. Everyone has a cell phone these days, if not, have them hand it to the nearest cell phone owner, or just have them throw it again. I like the idea of the entire thing being completely random.

You could even add in the joke right after the ball is caught: "Because this is a feat of mentalism, I am going to guess that the man who caught the ball...has a cell phone on him... amazing" and then proceed with the routine.

Thanks Brent.
eb02
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of eb02
I am doing it using jumbo deck.
If I do it for a large audience I throw two ball or balloons and asked them to throw it several time between the audiences. Who ever catch it stand up, one chooses a number and one chooses the shape.
From here it's all presentation.
Eran
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
I recall seeing it done one time where it was the standard presentation up until it was time to announce the selected card. The magi didn't even ask his onstage helper to name it, he simply looked at someone close by and asked if they saw the card. When they answered "yes" he asked them if it was a spot card or a face card. Then in similar fashion he asked another person for the value, another for the color, and another for the specific suit. This was kind of selecting a single card "by committee". I thought it was a great presentation. I have actually used this method as a fallback if I'm doing the effect with a youngster who gets confused when asked what his card was.
sethman
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of sethman
I have a good idea on something you can do. PM me for details if you're interested.
WRandall
View Profile
Regular user
NYC, USA
121 Posts

Profile of WRandall
Quote:
On 2005-11-24 17:15, Jared Sherlock wrote:
However the problem arrives when you try and present it to a 600 seat theater from the stage. Without a budget like DC and some others not wanting to mess with Live camera projection.

DC performed a Jumbo ID in his first large stage show back in the early 80's. This was before he started touring. There's a picture of him performing it in a book called (I think) "The World's Greatest Illusionists". He finished that show w/ the Levitating Ferrari, so it must have been a pretty big theatre.

Will
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1223 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
I thought the cell phone Invisible Deck routine was exclusive to Dana Daniels and Luigi.......
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Which brand of cell phone? I believe the effect is exclusive to them only if they use a Nokia phone.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.......or perhaps it was a motorola.

(Chuckle!!!!)

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
Quote:
On 2005-11-30 20:19, Michael Dustman wrote:
I thought the cell phone Invisible Deck routine was exclusive to Dana Daniels and Luigi.......

............apparently not. Smile

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Thank-you!

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Invisible Deck on Stage (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL