The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » "Significant Digit" from Fulves' Self-Working Mental Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Seeing as we did so well revising the handling in "Squaring the Cycle" from Fulves' book, I thought I'd share my findings on another trick from the same book, and see if we can encourage some input.

The secret of "Significant Digit" (trick #6 in the "Instant ESP" section) seems to me to have the potential to be a valuable tool for the mentalist. I haven't been able to find the technique discussed in any other books I own, either.

The handling in the book is not perfect, however. Some details appear to be left out. I found that soft pencil on an index card gave the best results.

More importantly, the statement in the description that suggests that your fingers will be automatically in the right position when you tear the paper/card in half, seems to be erroneous. However I creased the card (even if I used paper), it didn't rip in half with my fingers in the correct position.

There are a couple of solutions I've found for this. Firstly, you can put your fingers in the correct position (long enough to do the necessary), then move your hands to tear the card. You have to be careful when doing this, otherwise you'll mess things up.

I've also tried starting off the tear before the subject writes the number. That seems to work well.

I'd be interested in others' thoughts about this effect and its handling.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Foucault,
Although some very good mentalists have suggested this to me, I don't like it.
I don't use it. I don't think that it is dependable enough for everyday use.
Maybe its something wrong with my digit.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
A dodgy digit, eh? Smile

A soft pencil and an index card provided a perfect solution for "that" part of the effect, it's just the tearing part that's got me scratching my head (and I don't want to scratch my head, otherwise the mental image might start fading away!).

Has anyone else found a good solution to this?
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Doh!...How long has it taken for it to sink in that you really need two hands in order to do this, Parson? Smile
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
No worries Foucault, we've all put our foots in our mouths at one time or another. Perhaps it stems from our cannibal ancestors..and besides we can always offer to lend you a hand. (slaps self for lame humor and profusely apologizes.)

Chrystal
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Chrystal, Chrystal, Chrystal,

How often must I beg you to not make fun of the crippled boy? Smile
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Egads! I never make fun at anyone..but myself of course!!

:O)

Chrystal
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » "Significant Digit" from Fulves' Self-Working Mental Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL