The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » ANTINOMY - Perception & Deception » » Antinomy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Antinomy magazine has just finished the 2005 series. This is truly an excellent publication. The last (4th) issue came with a CD that has a dozen video clips as well as PDFs of all four issues. It also has a 46 page bonus issue with some excellent items. It's a great value. Give yourself a great Christmas present by getting a subscription.

BTW - this is an honest review, not a "paid" endorsement. Anyone else excited about this publication?

Mike
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Excited? In a BIG way! I mentioned this a few weeks back in another forum but wanted to express my complete endorsement here as well. I recently received my package of the first 4 issues, along with the annual CD. All I can say is, "Wow!" Anyone out there that has not yet subscribed, what are you thinking?? This is definitely an item you'll be kicking yourself over as you hunt for out-of-print back issues in the not too distant future. Many thanks to Gene Taylor for giving us such a quality publication. I haven't been this excited to delve in between the pages since the first issue of Apocalypse, back in '78.
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
By far the very best magazine I've ever purchased. High quality content and style. I love the oversized format. One name got me to subscribe from the beginning, before I even knew anything about it,...Jon Racherbaumer. His essays are priceless.

I wish Jon would collect all that knowledge and apply his exceptional economy with the english language to a volume of books. No sleights, no effects or routines, just Jon letting us peak into his brilliant mind. His current essay on equivoque is a must read for all those who even think about using magicians choice.

So, to answer your post Mike, absolutely. I'm very pleased with myself to have taken the blind step of becoming a pioneer subscriber. Antinomy is the ONLY publication that I find myself reading and re-reading over and over again. I prize them right up there with my favorite hardcover issues on my top shelf. If I could not replace my first 4 issues of Antinomy then I imagine it would take at least, and I mean this, 10 times the subscription price to get me to part with them...as long as I get to keep the cd-rom.

For those of you who are considering becoming subscribers I assure you that you will find your money well spent as a worthy investment. I also applaude Antinomy for being a sponsor to this forum. Do yourselves the favor...SUBSCRIBE!
antinomy
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of antinomy
Thanks so much for the enthusiastic comments! I've been getting a lot of good feedback. People appreciate getting all four issues in a single year too.

All I can say is expect more of the same in 2006. I've already got some great material lined up.

Gene
Gene Taylor
editor & publisher
Antinomy
http://www.antinomymagic.com
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Hello everybody, my name is Peo (hello Peo) and I am Antinomyer, and VERY happy about. And I AM a pioneer subscriber too. This is one thing Im going to continue with as long this publication will exist (hopefully a loooooong time).
Issue # 4 was really the pop of the cherry as the last issue for 2005, with it's added CD (for us lucky subscribers only) with all the extra goodies. I emidiatly renewed my subscribtion for this SUPER journal for 2006.
Thank you much Gene for all exellent reading. See soon in february!

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
MSD921
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of MSD921
I have also been a subscriber since day one and love it. The DVD that came with the last issue was great. It made me go back and relook at some effects that I had skipped over.

Great stuff.

Mike
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
643 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
Thanks for the heads up, Mike. I'm so in debt to you for great info it's ridiculous.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I just realized that the journal's name is misspelled in the topic header. Any way to change this?
Nick Pudar
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Nick Pudar
This has been a great publication. Excellent work Gene.
Nick
Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.
www.stackview.com Version 5.0 is available!
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I spelled "Antinomy" correctly in my post but managed to goof it up in the topic header - arrrrggg!! Hopefully someone can come to my rescue and fix it.

Mike
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
540 Posts

Profile of pierredan
Any indepth reviews?

Are the tricks really better than those in Magicana (Genii) or Magic Magazine?

Sure the magazine looks nice but so what?

Any chance this will end up as a collected book such as The Magic Menu, Richard's Almanac, Apocalypse...
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
Thanks for posting this. I've been interested in Antinomy, however it might be spelt! Smile A question: Is the material practical? In other words, are you using the material for lay audiences, or is this more for folks with a keen interest in cards where the focus is on handlings and variations? BTW, I'm not making a judgement with this question, as both are valuable.

Thanks,

Gary
antinomy
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of antinomy
I would say the tricks are not necessarily BETTER than those in Genii and MAGIC. But tricks published in those magazines are, of necessity (due to the amount of space available to describe them), shorter routines. ANTINOMY is able to devote more space to routines, so the routines themselves can be longer and the descriptions can be more detailed.

I'm striving to make this a journal about Close-up magic. There are non-card routines in every issue. However, the majority of material is cards and that will probably always be true since most submissions to the magazine are card tricks. I'm not really interested in minor variations in tricks or handlings, though almost all magic is a variation of something done previously. I'm looking to publish routines that stand on their own.

I'll leave it to the readers to post on whether they're actually using the routines and who they're performing them for. But I don't think you can ignore the impact on a layperson of a routine like Dean Dill's "Reflection" from Issue 3. I'm not going to list tricks here. I'm just trying to answer the questions. I can say I've gotten universally strong comments on BOTH the content and the look of the magazine.

I suppose there's always a chance it will be published in a bound edition someday, but I'm not willing to predict that after only one year of publication. Any decision on that is many years in the future.

I appreciate your interest and your questions.

Gene
Gene Taylor
editor & publisher
Antinomy
http://www.antinomymagic.com
magicbar1
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of magicbar1
Gene - Thank you for a wonderful publication
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1406 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Gene thanks for the magazine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » ANTINOMY - Perception & Deception » » Antinomy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL