The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Unicycle help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zakari Asiago
View Profile
Regular user
Panhandle of Florida
183 Posts

Profile of Zakari Asiago
I am starting to learn the unicycle. I am getting better little by little. (the emphasis is on little) Anyone have suggestions? I tend to "pull" to the right. When I do ride a short distance. How long did it take you to learn and feel comfortable? I have heard 6 footers are easier for balance tricks. Is this true?
Zakari Asiago

401 South Ave.

Fort Walton Beach, FL 32547
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
I would stay off the Giraffes until you've mastered the smaller uni's...

As for your problem: Pulling to the right...

Remember, you need to use not only your legs, but also your hips/waist for balance and course correction...Don't be afraid to use your arms either (you will notice that you need them less and less as time goes by)...

Riding Uni's can be great fun, just keep practicing and don't be too hard on yourself.

Just stay off the big guys till your ability is a bit better...It's a LONG way down to very HARD ground from atop a 6 or 7 foot Giraffe.

Prof. Piper
:juggle:
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
rhinomax
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of rhinomax
I learned a couple years ago. took the better part of a weekend to get on and ride I started in a doorway and just got used to rocking then moved to a wall pedaling along with one hand on the wall. next starting from the wall and pedaling way from it. it was a wile before I was mounting with out holding on . now I am juggling 3, riding backwards, hovering , it is great fun enjoy Topper
NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE FEW TO CHANGE THE WORLD "THATS USUALY HOW IT WORKS" MARGRET MEAD
Zakari Asiago
View Profile
Regular user
Panhandle of Florida
183 Posts

Profile of Zakari Asiago
WOW! Rhinomax it only took you a weekend. That is great.
I can ride about 50 yards, right now. I am getting alittle better day by day.
Thanks for the words guys.
Zakari Asiago

401 South Ave.

itshim
View Profile
Elite user
Milton Keynes
417 Posts

Profile of itshim
If you want to practice directionl control there are few practices better than doing figure of eights. Doing circles tend to exaggerate what you do so having to switch from one direction circle to the other really helps. Also, you will find that there are two ways of controlling direction as Professor Piper says. Leaning allows gradual turns whilst hip movement controls more vigorous movements. Riding along a path it is rare that you use your hips, in a small hall it is much more often needed.

Nigel
I knew a man who kept saying "pliers, pincers, scissors". He was speaking in tongs.

www.itshim.co.uk
Essie
View Profile
Loyal user
Boulder, CO
278 Posts

Profile of Essie
After I could go straight (and could kind of turn), I started trying to see how long I could ride outside without falling off. That REALLY helped me pick it up a lot faster. I'm also going to college now, so I can ride to class and get some practice in every day ;-) It took me a while to learn initially, but that was mainly because I was trying to practice in a hallway with carpet, so I couldn't turn (which I only really realized after going outside on concrete). Definitely a lot of fun!
"Comfort the disturbed, disturb the comfortable."
-Jeff McBride
Zakari Asiago
View Profile
Regular user
Panhandle of Florida
183 Posts

Profile of Zakari Asiago
Just an update. I am getting much better. I have found it helpful to use a pole. I hold it to help with direction and help with mounting. I ride outside on cement. I have found that making sure my tire is fully inflated also helps. anyone that posted a respose do a giraffe? if so, how long did it take you to make the transfer from regular uni to tall one?
Zakari Asiago

401 South Ave.

Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Fall forward, wear gloves, use sun screen, and above all have fun.
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
My method for learning consisted of: Hold on to something stable while mounting, shove off, ride for about 15-20 feet, fall off, repeat. I saw no improvement for a LONG time, and one day, it just suddenly made sense and I took off. The balance characteristics are the same as walking, it just takes a while to translate those into a wheel as opposed to your two feet. Different sized wheels can also help. It's easier to learn on a 24-inch as opposed to a 20-inch, for the same reason that it's easier to balance a tall object than a short one. In the summer of 2001, I decided to unicycle across the country, and my choice was a Coker- tire "BIG ONE", which has a 36-inch wheel! Weird at first, but this thing flies!
itshim
View Profile
Elite user
Milton Keynes
417 Posts

Profile of itshim
I'm not sure that I agree with the last poster. I learnt on a 28-inch wheel and have subsequently used a 20-inch. The smaller wheel is easier for turning, free-mounting, hovering, going up hills. The larger wheel is better for distance.

Nigel
I knew a man who kept saying "pliers, pincers, scissors". He was speaking in tongs.

www.itshim.co.uk
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
Started on a short 20" between two cars in the the drive way. I rocked back and forth while holding on till I could start feeling the point of balance. At that point I would ride down the drive, hardly any incline to it, and once I fell off I would roll the cycle back to the starting position to count how many peddle rotations I accomplished. Each time I would try to beat the previous.

As already mentioned use your hands. Keep them out. Cats and squirrels use their tails we must use our arms and hands for balance.

At the age of fourteen going through puberty is when I learned. I was a klutz. After a few weeks I could ride down the block.

As for when should you mount a tall uni. It sucks to fall off and have to get back up. I didn't attempt to mount a 6 footer till I could ride forwards, backwards and idle. Idle is rocking back and forth in one place. This is a must to learn if you are to perform on a stage with limited riding area.

I couldn't tell you the amount of scars I have on my ankles, knees and spine from the unicycles of doom.

As for wheel size. I think 24" are great for parades or riding across the country. 20" great for stage or small spaces. They both have different advantages when doing stunts. i.e.. bunny hops, riding down steps, peddle-less riding.

All in all I had a blast riding one as a kid. Such a big one I blew out me knees and only ride after tuning up my partners uni. So when you are ready to learn a 6 footer, remember to bend your knees when landing. Soften the blow as much as you can. When starting with a tall one warm up on your short one first.

Mounting a tall one can be tricky. I began useing the corner of the house. Jamming my foot in between the tire and forks, then slowly climbing up while holding onto the corner. Practical to start with but when there aren't any houses around I was dead in the water.

Next I learned the monkey climb, free mount. Same as before just with out the wall. Foot jammed in forks then quickly climb up and start riding. Make sure your peddles are good on tight. I have wasted a bunch of cranks by stripping the threads when the peddles had came unscrewed.

After learning the free mount I was bored and I learned the running jump mount. Very impressive and very dangerous as it is fast and you have a lot of momentum going.

Have fun. Wear high top sneakers to protect your ankles from the cranks. Put extra padding on your seat to avoid chaffing and extra protection on the edges of the seat so you don't beat it to heel in the learning process. Otherwise you will have to do the torn and restored unicycle seat trick.

Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
annie williams
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh
7 Posts

Profile of annie williams
I started riding when I was six (before riding a bike). I'm 43 now, and can still ride. I began in my basement by holding onto a pipes (ceiling to floor). I first rode around the pipe, until I could do it comfortably with one hand. Then, I rode from the first pipe to the second pipe/pole. It took about a week (every night) to get to a shaky ride from one pole to the other. After practicing figure 8s between the poles, I rode to the freezer (further than the second pole).

My suggestion is to find a place with poles (outdoor basketball court?). When I became confident in the basement, I started outside with a friend. The friend would walk beside me for stability when I needed it. I actually learned to get on the thing last! I first used the front steps (pressing backwards against the step until I was up, then pedaling forward. With practice, I eventually rode in bike-a-thons (the furthest was 12 miles). Keep practicing. It really is like riding a bike. It's just a matter of getting used to a different weight distribution.

Good luck!

Annie
ac-magic
View Profile
Regular user
South East UK
149 Posts

Profile of ac-magic
My advice (which is contrary to others) is to just ride. Learning against a pole will teach you how to ride holding onto a pole. THe best thing you can do is just get on it, steady yourself against the wall and then just ride. ALWAYS look straight ahead. I did this whilst learning on a slight hill (going down hill is realy easy). I got it in about 3 days/6 hours. 2 hrs each day. Learning down a hill is easier than on flat, but sa soon as you go onto flat it is easier so you can go on flat land earlier than if you had started learning straight away on flat land. I hope you catch my drift.

Hope I Helped
Ali
A Smile, mind reading, funny escape artist wanna-be
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Unicycle help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL