The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Magic That Rocks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Not too english -- just too good at observing disturbing trends in stage magic.
xxx
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Indeed! - It can't help with the Magician "connecting" with the audience very well if all they do is pose and strut around the stage with an attitude of "how wonderful they are".

Copperfield had it about right in selling the audience emotion. (It doesn't matter if it's made up emotion, just as long as it's something the audience can identify with and think that they have a connection with the performer.)

With Copperfield, he told you all about his dream of flying and to never give up on trying to make your dreams come true... and then his goes on to do just that. It's corny, VERY! but it works! - The audience want the world to be a nice place so they go along with the magic. I see a lot of "new" magicians seem to think it's all about how many turns you can do in the air and the different directions that you can move, in an attempt to better Copperfield's flying. - The major problem and trouble is, all the reason, emotion and true magic gets lost or thought not necessary in the translation.

ALL magicians should remember that they are there to entertain the audience and give audience what the AUDIENCE want - not think that they are so clever and cool and only there to give them what the performer wants and thinks is clever.

IF the audience don't know the working of an illusion, then they don't care how many cartwheels you can do whilst flying. It seems that a lot of magicians are too busy trying and thinking to out-do and perform for other magicians.

The same illusions can be done in different ways, so all that needs to be change is the attitude.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2005-12-23 20:02, Star_magic wrote:
Speaking of demo, we've just completed ours, please have a look, and tell me what you think. It's only 1.30 min. so I hope you get all the way through...Smile

http://www.starmagic.dk/trailer/trailer.wmv

Any advice, critisicm etv. highly appreciated!

Promo looks fantastic-Great show!

Wish you all the best
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
I gotta say, I am not impressed with Curtis Adams.
I was yawning at everything I saw, and that was in 30-second snippets. I can't imagine 2 hours of this!

Call me crazy, but I'm a big believer in magic shows being about magic. Why does everyone feel the need to dress it up in silly clothes? Are they embarrassed about the magic? Can it not stand on its own?
It's all in the reflexes.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
I agree there, meauxfeaux.

What is it with long jackets and the like? - Must be a throw-back to tailcoats.

As you say, you should let the magic prove you are the magician, not have to advertise it by looking like a weirdo.

"Oh you must be a magician, mister, as you have a long out-of-date jacket and a 1970s hairstyle!"
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
I wasn't even referring so much to costuming, Shrub.
I meant "dressing" figuratively; I was talking about all the dancing and distractions around the magic that have nothing to do with it and, in my opinion, take away from it, making the show that much less magical.

It just starts to feel like a special effects show, not magic.
It's all in the reflexes.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Yes, I know what you mean, meauxfeaux.

Too much distraction when misdirection isn't needed!

Turns into a variety dance and light show.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Magic That Rocks? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL