The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Percentages... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ben Whiting
View Profile
Loyal user
Traverse City, MI
246 Posts

Profile of Ben Whiting
Hey guys,
I know a good show has a mix of Grand illusions, close up, audience participation etc... but considering how costly props can be, what percentages of your shows are usually composed of grand illusion?
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I think it depends upon the illusions, the performer, and the venue.

Most of my programs, being banquet and party-type situations, are single stand-up programs. Illusion shows probably account for 20% of what I do. Within a typical "illusion" program, I might do 3 larger illusions (I only own about 7 total, of which 3 are my standards, and I tend to "rotate" other illusions -- buying and selling them -- to keep the show fresh.) But I know other acts who do almost entirely illusions shows, and some who wouldn't touch a large prop. Most guys I know who own illusions do a similar mix to what I do.

My guess is, the responses here will be as varied as there are people on this forum.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
A mix is a good place to start. Then LISTEN to the audience reaction of each and alter your show based on that.

Many Illusionists kill themselves doing the " big stuff" only to get a better reaction from a good presentation of a smaller effect.

Best,

Tim
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Kline
Well said Tim !
Steven Kline
<BR><BR>www.stevenkline.com
<BR><BR>www.stevenklineproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Thanks Steve,

Favourite story..... After appearances, vanishes and levitations during his show a well know performer working a cruise ship gig would hear from people after his show. One of the most common comments was " Boy that vanishing bandana trick was fantasic!"

It's amazing what sticks in audiences minds.

Best,

Tim
sethman
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of sethman
That's true. Also, David Copperfield only had good things to say about Misled.
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
Quote:
On 2005-12-08 00:40, Timothy Drake wrote:
Thanks Steve,

Favourite story..... After appearances, vanishes and levitations during his show a well know performer working a cruise ship gig would hear from people after his show. One of the most common comments was " Boy that vanishing bandana trick was fantasic!"

It's amazing what sticks in audiences minds.

Best,

Tim

Was that Shawn Farquar by chance?
Logic Defied
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Nope... Greg Frewin.

Can you imagine anyone sitting through his bird act and stage show then saying " Nice Bandana" ?

Showbiz!

Best,

Tim
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
No matter how big or small my show is, I always end my show with a presentation of the invisible deck. Essentially the deck has been hanging on a string from the beginning of the show. I present it as a prediction effect and it KILLS every time.

My audiences love when I leave them on an intimate and personal note.
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
I agree with you Tim and Steve, but it is important that you don't let your stand-up take over your show (unless it is a stand-up show). Especially if you are getting paid to do an illusion show.
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Percentages... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL