The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Making a living in Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Yes, it's a hard way to make a living. I congratulate every one who is doing it. You work all day with promotions, mailings, contracts, etc. and then, when your friends are out having fun on Friday night, you're working.

And you can't rest. You have to stay at it.

But it's also extremely rewarding and enjoyable.

Personally, it got to be too much for me, so I took a break from full-time performing. But -- SURPRISE! -- I found that I still did close to 85% of the work I did as a full-timer! So, a great track record can, and will, pay off.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Drew,

I didn't say they was the same, I said that it's a challenge running your own business regardless what that business is.

You are correct in pointing out that there are differences between businesses and locations. Living in Miami, for example, offers opportunities that you won't find in upstate New York. That's why I performed more in schools than on cruise ships.

Furthermore, while you can get a good foundation on business basics from general business books, you won't learn the stategies and tactics that are unique to the magic business. For that, it helps to learn from someone who has already had some degree of success. Otherwise, the road is even harder to travel.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Popo
View Profile
Loyal user
Valparaiso, IN
219 Posts

Profile of Popo
I too must second what Jim and the Dean have said. However, withou throwing caution to the wind I would say that if this is your passion and what you feel you want to do then do it! Give it all you've got. Make a plan and focus on it every day. When we lose focus on our plan is when we get derailed. This is not just in business but in life. So go for it! Besides, what is the worst that could happen? You might fail and end up having to work 9 to 5 with magic as a hobby. To me that does not sound like a failure at all.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Jim, I have to say I'm sorry, I re read that and see how it looks. I didn't mean to correct you, I figured you understood that. My intent was to point out that there was a variance between marketing the two genre's of products, not suggest that you didn't know about them. Again, very very sorry.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Don't worry Drew, I didn't take it personally.

Actually I've never thought about in in terms of necessities and luxuries. But as my wife says, Luxury once experienced, becomes necessity."

Happy New Year.
Jim
Jim Snack

www.success-in-magic.com
Lukas
View Profile
Regular user
Plymouth, UK
169 Posts

Profile of Lukas
Guy's I am 17 and I am thinking about doing magic for a living. But I was wondering how much a magician gets paid on average for an hours show.

Thanks, Lukas
Make the difficult look easy, and the easy beautiful.

President and Minutes Secretery of the Plymouth Magic Circle

www.topsecretmagic.co.uk
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Lukas,

That is a very difficult question to answer because it depends upon so many different factors.

An hour of strolling magic would be different from an hour of standup, or an hour of illusions. Someone at age 17 just getting started is not going to command the same fee as someone with ten years of experience in a particular market.

Furthermore, different markets have different expectations for fees. I have earned as little at $50 and as much as $3000 for the same one hour show in the same month!

A better question for you to ask at your current level is, "What would be the range of fees for a type of show that you are capable of doing, a children's birthday party for example, in your geographic area?"

Remember, there are people who make a lot of money and people who make very little in any business. Forget about "average fees," and strive to be the best you can be and earn the highest fees you can in the markets you serve.

Jim

jim
Jim Snack

www.success-in-magic.com
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Jim,

Why would you work for $50??? Just wondering.

Best,
James
Lukas
View Profile
Regular user
Plymouth, UK
169 Posts

Profile of Lukas
Thanks for the info Jim.

Lukas
Make the difficult look easy, and the easy beautiful.

President and Minutes Secretery of the Plymouth Magic Circle

www.topsecretmagic.co.uk
Joe Xavier
View Profile
Regular user
Borneo Islands
149 Posts

Profile of Joe Xavier
Quote:

I am very curious as to how successful you are at doing magic in Borneo. As the song New York, New York goes "if you can make it there you can make it anywhere". That statement really applies at least double for Borneo.
Al

Lack of opportunity and publicity here in the Asian world. Unless I do something BIG, I would have to start by performing some publicity stunts and getting my name out. Then I guess I might be considered a good magician. Otherwise, magicians are not really in high demand here and NO companies would ever pay SO MUCH to get a magician for their functions. They'd rather skip it and get something else.

So since there aren't much adult magicians here, (most of the magicians here are doing children's shows) I plan to conquer the market...

Really good opinions given in this post!
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Good Question James. Actually had I donated my services to a local non-profit organization and after the program they handed me an envelope that contained a $50 honorarium. I presented exactly the same program I had done earlier that month for a fee of $3000. It's not always about the money, it's about the people we serve in our business. I like to think that those who can afford to pay more, subsidize those who can't.

Jim
Jim Snack

www.success-in-magic.com
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
BRAVO!

Once again our brother JIM hits the nail straight n the head! Honestly, that is what JIM does so well. "Jim is an amazing communicator with a 'Must Have' message of success and encouragement!"

I have spent my life getting to the point where I can do almost anything I want, (Thanks to THIS business!) and I STILL DO spend loads of my time now (I always have) supporting my community and others with my time, talent and treasures!

If you do not yet HAVE HIS BOOK; "Success In Magic!", you are indeed missing out!

Thanks again Jim!

I am, as always, at your service and In HIS Service,
Dean
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Jim,

I thought that must be it!!!

Quote:
It's not always about the money, it's about the people we serve in our business. I like to think that those who can afford to pay more, subsidize those who can't.

Spot on! What a great way to put it.

Wishing you continued success in 2006!

Best,
James
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Making a living in Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL