The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Cap in Bottle - spectator can keep bottle as a souvenir? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RINO
View Profile
New user
Poland
38 Posts

Profile of RINO
Hello!

I do cap in bottle but i can't give it to the spectator as a souvenir.
I found in the net this tricks:
1. VIP - Visuall Impossible Penetration (Mike Powers) - 15$
2. Daryl's Cap in bottle - 15$

VIP
- The bottle is seen and heard to be empty
- Spectator holds the bottle
- Your hands are empty right after the penetration
- The spectator can immediately keep the bottle
- Nothing is ever in the bottle except the cap
- VIP is really easy to do. No lapping, no pulls.
- Different method and handling from Daryl's Cap in Bottle

Daryl's Cap in bottle
- It is impromptu magic
"The cap penetrates into the bottle. Shake it around. It'd really
inside! Tip the bottle up and give it a shake. The cap falls to the
table! Do it again. Tap and the cap is inside the bottle! Now, hand
everything out for close scrutiny. You can even give them the bottle
and cap as a souuvenir".
- The cap and the bottle are completely ungimmicked.
- The cap is bigger then the top of the bottle
- You can use your own caps and bottles

My questions:
1. Wchih trick is better?
2. Can i show both in close-up?
3. Can I really use my own caps and bottles?
4. Can I really give it as a souvenir?
5. Wchich trick i can prepare faster?

Bye!
Greetings from Poland
P.S. Sorry for my English Smile
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Both of these versions have basically the same method and the bottles are prepared in the same fashion. VIP is meant to be performed with a wider variety of bottles, as opposed to Daryl's version. I could use the gimmick for Daryl's version and still use any bottle that could be used for VIP -- the handling would have to be modified. Both can be used close-up and both require the same amount of time to prepare the bottle. You can use your own caps and bottle, and give them away a souvenirs.

I think that VIP is slightly better and I've seen both versions.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The Cap in Bottle is a good strong trick especially in that repeat venue where you have already performed your coin to bottle or marked (ungimmicked) coin to beer can (soda can).

I don’t understand what version of “Cap in Bottle” you do that does not allow you to hand the bottle out to the spectator. Do you have some kind of gimmicked cap a la’ coin in bottle? Help me out here.

Your questions:
1. Which trick is better?
In truth, either version is very workable and will give you the same effect. Both methods leave you with a cap impossibly placed into a bottle. The Powell method leaves you cleaner sooner.

2. Can I show both in close-up?
Yes, absolutely, they were both meant to be performed as close-up routines.

3. Can I really use my own caps and bottles?
Yes! You MUST use your own bottles, one is provided for example only (and not needed at all the instructions for both are clear).

4. Can I really give it as a souvenir?
YES! This is the real strength of the trick. Both methods allow you to give the end product away (and if you don’t you are missing some good word of mouth advertising!)

5. Which trick can I prepare faster?
Both take about the same time to set-up. The Daryl ad is a bit misleading. The effect APPEARS impromptu but is NOT. There is a preparation or set up needed (for both!).

Both versions give the same effect so it makes no difference to the spectator which one you use. Both versions have a similar (identical) method of getting ready (getting the cap in the bottle). The presentational methods and how you end up after the penetration are different.

Flip a coin and let Karma chose for you. Or, if your own version plays well, stick to it!

By the by, I use the Daryl version only because I came across it first!

Hope this helps a little.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Raj
View Profile
New user
UK
22 Posts

Profile of Raj
There's also a very good version in Michael Weber's Lifesavers.

Also if you want to do something quick think about using David Williamson's Striking Vanish while the cap is in the other hand.

Raj
RINO
View Profile
New user
Poland
38 Posts

Profile of RINO
Thanks a lot for replying and helping.

Harry Murphy:
"I don’t understand what version of "Cap in Bottle" you do that does not allow you to hand the bottle out to the spectator."
So I use something like "EZ to DO Cap in Bottle" with plastic coca-cola bottle (two caps, one in- and one outside). I can give it to examination but not as a souvenir - because if I give it as a souvenir i'll must buy new.

I understand that I recieve special tool wchih help me putting cup in the bottle - am I right?
Greetings from Poland
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Rino, Thanks! Now I understand your problem. I had entirely forgotten about that effect. Frankly, I didn’t like it all that much. It’s only advantage over other methods is that you can put a the rather large plastic top in the bottle. You have already discovered one major downside to the effect. Another downside is that the bottle cannot be examined all that closely (or you will see how the cap got inside in the first place).

However, I now know that you know the basic secret to all of the cap in bottle effects! Yes, they are all the same to that extent.

Yes, you do get a “something” that will facilitate you getting set-up. I would not go so far to call it a tool. although technically I guess it is. Just don't expect much. It is something that will cost you about a dime at a lumberyard or hobby shop. I really can't say more without tipping the method. Sorry.

In my opinion (and only my opinion) either of the two versions you are interested is much better than the one you have (and cheaper too!).
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
I have seen Daryl version performed by my self and he fooled hell out of me. After he showed me the gimmick I remembered that I allready owned it. I had bouht it many years ago, but the instructions were so bad that I had never tryed it. It is very good.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I think that a lot of magicians do that. Buy a trick or prop and immediately put it on the shelf without playing with it and seeing if it works for them. I find many simply buy the newest flavor of the month only to know the secret and never even do a walkthrough (of course these folk keep the magic shops in business). There is a ton of great magic lying around gathering dust.

A short story. A part-time magician friend of mine had his whole act stolen after a school show. He had another show scheduled for later in the month. He did not have the money to replace all his props. What he did was hit his unused magic shelves. He found similar effects to replace the ones lost. He spent hours rehearsing the new act and found it played as well as his old one. He has never bother to replace the old props.
RINO
View Profile
New user
Poland
38 Posts

Profile of RINO
Thanks a lot to ALL for help.
Greetings from Poland
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
571 Posts

Profile of KC
I got a question. Are the Daryl and Mike Powers versions used for a glass bottle only? Can the methodology be used for a plastic soda bottle?

Being in Japan, plastic soda bottle are much more common than the glass bottles. Thus, making it even more amazing.

Thank you for your time.
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1956 Posts

Profile of alexhui
I do a cap in bottle which allows me to hand out the bottle as the souvenir.And I've brought it from the personal homeapge in Japan.There is also a bonus version that allow the magician to do the cap in bottle with the spectator's bottle without perparation.
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
While not a cap in bottle, you might be interested in Bernard Sim's "Poor Man's Coin In Bottle." In this impromptu routine, an ungimmicked coin penetrates into a capped, ungimmicked bottle, which can immediately be given to the spectator to keep. It is the bonus routine in my new book, "You'll Be Pleasantly Surprised," which also includes 38 card routines and the fully photo-illustrated explanation of The Guinn Utility Backslip. PM or email me if you're interested.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
The best one IMO is Scotty York's version using the Rey Ben gimmick. You can get it at Denny and Lee's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Cap in Bottle - spectator can keep bottle as a souvenir? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL