The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » What is Bizzare (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
What exactly is Bizzare, just curious to see what it really means. Give me some examples of Bizzare Magic.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
That's spelled brassiere. You have the wrong section.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Yeah, brassiere. It's all a put on, though some have to pad.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
LOL, wasn't that part of Firesign Theater routine?

Anyway drkptrs1075, try here: http://www.dragonskull.co.uk/bizlecture_index.htm

That should keep you busy for a good long while.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
...I swear, sometimes I think ol' Steve Brooks has alter egos desigend to keep threads going in this or that forum...

THIS is the BIZARRE section my brother...feel free to do some research... Smile

and I mean no disrespect whatever...but there remains the fact that there is a wealth of information herein...

Bizarre, in short is a oftentimes strange, mystical, magickal experience wrapped in a story from times gone by...

...then again, some people regard Harry Potter and the likes as a sound foundation for my craft... Smile
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Harry pothead? foundation of your craft? GRRRRR
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-12-08 18:08, drkptrs1975 wrote:
What exactly is Bizzare, just curious to see what it really means. Give me some examples of Bizzare Magic.

If you put two bizarrists in the room together, they will find more difference in their performances than sameness.

Bizarre is about as broad a category of magic as close up. Most of it centers around a story or a ritual. Some of it is intended to creep people out. Some of it is intended to enlighten people. It's not, generally speaking, balloon animals and pulling a rabbit out of a hat, though.

Bizarre cuts through the entire realm of magic. I have seen Bizarre illusions -- Kevin James' famous sawing, which he cannot do right now because of a certain problem -- would be a perfect example. Some of it is close-up.

But all of it has a big element of mystery in it.

Some think that Bizarrists believe their magic is real. Others think that Bizarrists are trying to make it appear more realistic.

All or none of this is true.

I hope this clears things up for you.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
I think if you read the fourth, fifth, and sixth Harry Potter books, Mr. Nibo, you will find stories that can move adults quite deeply, more so perhaps, than many bizzarist's stories. The first three were more childlike, and unfortunately the movies and such give a 'pop' culture white wash to the whole thing which I understand many of you try to avoid.

Still, fantasy is back 'in'...everything from all these movies coming out to music like Evanesence. Nothing wrong with riding that wave...just don't want to appear 'cheesy'.

Also, I've always found twisting balloon animals and pulling rabbits from hats to be extremely bizzare Smile.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
For me Bizarre magic is character driven themed performances with a reliance on storytelling.
I don't generally do creepy stuff, create mock rituals nor try to pass anything I do off as even slightly real.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
spook
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
150 Posts

Profile of spook
My hairy potter is pretty bizarre.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
To me bizarre is a person who shows up on a stage with an ill fitting tux/tales, top hat, makes a cane appear uses the top hat to produce or catch things -- all for a modern audience with no idea of creating a Victorian act as the main idea.

When magic becomes magick you are on the right path.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Quote:
On 2005-12-13 18:33, chmara wrote:

When magic becomes magick you are on the right path.

wow...words of great wisdom as always...live long good man...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » What is Bizzare (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL