The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Sonata-Tamariz (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

myoungbauer
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, Minnesota
92 Posts

Profile of myoungbauer
Hello all, out there in cyberland. This is my first post and while I don't have any deep performance insight or news flashes, I do have a few questions regarding this book, and I figured this was the best place to post them.

I got Sonata as a graduation present eight years ago and it's remained one of my favorites from that day. I also have The Magic Way and Five Points and, while though those volumes are landmark theory books, Sonata really opened my eyes to the love and passion one could bring to magic. But on to my questions...

In his dedication to Ascanio, Juan mentions several routines the master taught him. Including:
  1. Kings Thru the Table (Hamman and Kaps). I know Bro. John's work on this plot, I didn't know Fred Kaps had any work. Any references?

2. Oil and Water by Pollock and Kaps. Is this CHANNING Pollock? Or some other Pollock that I'm unaware of?

3. The Queens by Simon. A routine I'm unfamiliar with. Any ideas?
I've just always been curious about those references and anyone who could solve them would have my deepest thanks.

And while we're on it...

At the end of the book is a chapter "The Author as Seen by the Author". There Tamariz, among other things, talks about his repertoire. Have any of you out there seen him perform "The Chosen Seven" or "Papi and Mami" or "Los Moncos"? I've always wondered what the effects were of these routines. When one of your magical idols says his favorite routine is called "Papi and Mami", well it does make you wonder what THAT might look like.

Thanks for letting me post here, I've really enjoyed lurking around for the last month, next time I promise to contribute something more interesting to the rest of you who are not obsessed with magical trivia.

But really, what magician is not?

Matt
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
Where can I buy the book now? Is the Water and Oil routine a good one? Could you please describe a little about the effect?? Because I have seen he'd perform one was crazy!

CardFreakHK
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
The book has been out of print a long time.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
All of Juan Tamariz books are hard to get by these days but next year Hermetic Press will (hopefully) release two big books on Juan's magic. They are already on my must-buy list.
Smile
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Some of those effects could be seen in his magic TV shows (El Mundo Magico de Tamariz and Magia Potagia). Maybe some of our Spanish friends here can help track those effects down.
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
Yes, these three books are all out of print but they are relatively easy to come by on eBay if you want to spend some money. I sold a copy of Sonata last year for $100 and I recently sold another copy of The Magic Way for $185. Copies keep popping up all the time.

Dan
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
If you are patient, Juan brings a new batch with him every time he comes to America, and the prices are MUCH more affordable; $30-40 each. Typically, Magic, INC buys some stock from him.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2003-10-31 17:57, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
If you are patient, Juan brings a new batch with him every time he comes to America

Any ideas as to when that will be? My best guess would be when his next book is released (sometime next year, from what I understand).

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I have no idea but he seems to come over every couple of years. His books were selling used for up to $150 each in the late 90's on Ebay. I went to the A-1 Convention where he was lecturing and got them all at once for $25-$30 each, brand new and autographed!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
And I'd hold onto those autographed ones...an autographed copy of The Magic Way went for slightly over $1,000 about six months ago on eBay.

Some people are a little nuts when caught up in the heat of bidding, I suppose...

Dan
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Yo can find some Tamariz books here:

http://www.librosdemagia.com/
jgodwin
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of jgodwin
Sonata is one of my favourite books. Tamariz is so clever in his construction of effects; you read and perform an effect and it's not until a while after that you realise just how clever it is! His way of using false explanations and pathways is lethal. Get these books!

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Sonata-Tamariz (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL