The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Unique Dress Jackets for Stage Performances (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BaseballMagic
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of BaseballMagic
Hey Guys-
I posted a similar posts several days ago in "The Clothes We Wear" section, but have not gotten any responses. So, I thought I would try posting in the Grand Illusion section, for I would be wearing this while performing on stage anyway. I have noticed that several performers are starting to wear very flashy and attractivre "dress jackets". These jackets are similar to tuxes, but are very brightly colored and flashy instead of simply black. I am planning on purchasing a tux soon for closeup, birthday party work, etc., but am really interested in one of these unique jackets. Does anyone know where I could buy such a jacket, or of anyone who could make one of these? I am looking to spend under $500, if possible. To help visualize what I am talking about, below I am linking the site of Darren Romeo's photo gallery. Pictures 2,3,5,6, and 7 all show Darren in the type of jacket I am talking about. Thanks in advance!
Here is the link:
http://www.darrenromeo.com/show/photos.htm
-Michael
Teen Magician Michael Platt
www.magicbymichael.com
Live the Magic!
mjeayres
View Profile
New user
UK
94 Posts

Profile of mjeayres
Hi
I had a magic suit made for me by a costume maker in Las Vegas called "Design Concepts" Roberta Dumont is the lady that runs the business. She also made some of Lance Burton's costumes for his show and also costumes for the Prince impersonator and the Boardwalk Hotel in Las Vegas and she does a lot of other costumes for Las Vegas hotels etc. Her website is
http://www.designconceptsproductions.com
But I would imagine it is likely to cost more than $500. I think mine was around $1000. But I am very pleased with it and it is completely unique.
Another way is to find a good local tailor in your area and speak to them. Most seem to jump at the chance of doing something a bit out of the ordinary.

Or alternatively there are a few designers that put out some theatrical style clothing, such as Versace. I bought a suit for close-up work from a designer called Ozwald Boateng. It is really well made brightly coloured 3/4 length suit. If you do go along the desinger route I would suggest finding a retail outlet as they tend to be a lot cheaper.And I only know one shop in the US that sells Ozwald Boateng as he is a British designer his website is:
http://www.ozwaldboateng.co.uk
and the shop in the US that I know about is Traffic at The Beverly Centre in Beverly Hills.
I hope that helps a little bit.

Marcus
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Baseball: Any competent costume designer can make what you need. Look in the yellow pages or on the internet under costume designers. Prices will vary from place to place. A costume designer in Las Vegas will undoubtedly charge more than one in Buffalo.

Go to see them before discussing price. Tell them exactly what you want, show them photos, and tell them the budget that you have to work with.

If you have trouble finding a costume designer in your area, go to the nearest Dance School. Ask them who makes costumes for their dance recitals, etc.

Good luck.

- entity
BaseballMagic
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of BaseballMagic
Thank you both for your help! I am going to do a search on costume designers (hopefully locally) and bring my idea to them. I think this is a good route because I will be able to have something designer solely for me, and it I will be able to include all the features I want. Thanks again!
-Michael
www.magicbymichael.com
Live the Magic!
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Just remember the heat issue. Stage lights are can be brutal and will turn certain materials into a little self contained oven.

We need to make sure that we not only look good but smell good too!
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Michael,
Yeah, looking at the pix I would agree taht you are going to have to get something custom made. Good references supplied in the earlier posts. Tis true also that anything cusomt will co$t a goodly amount.
If you are wanting to start with something in a bright, stand out color that wont cost you as much, you might try the coats section of International Male. IM is an alternate lifestyle fashion for men type place and they carry lots of very flamboyant clothes. Good luck!
*Remember-every girls crazy for a sharp dressed man!
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
BaseballMagic
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of BaseballMagic
Ufo-
Thanks for the link! I actually found a really great dress jacket blazer that comes in blue, red, black, or white that I am seriously considering. I think that this may work better for me than a jacket like Darren Romeo's. Thanks!
-Michael
www.magicbymichael.com
Live the Magic!
carbone1853
View Profile
Loyal user
RI USA
239 Posts

Profile of carbone1853
Mjeayres said:
"Another way is to find a good local tailor in your area and speak to them. Most seem to jump at the chance of doing something a bit out of the ordinary."

It has been my experience that most local tailors have little or no interest in doing something out of the ordinary. They don’t have much experience with theatrical costumes and will not know how long it will take to make, so they don’t know what to charge and are hesitant to take on the project. If you have an example to show them (and I mean a finished project not a photo) they are more likely to take on the project.

The better bet as was stated above is to see a costume designer. You can find them by going to a fabric or sowing store and asking the store is they have any cards of costume designers.
BtheDreamer
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of BtheDreamer
I did exactly that a few years ago and have now used the lady they refered me to for dozens of magic projects including a gigantic ornate 8' by 16' cloth. people that do custom work tend to be good problem solvers and I have been amazed at the projects she has taken and done with no problem.

So find some one you like that is talented and then stay on their good side (lots of random presents really pays off when you show up with a last minute project!!!)

last but not least If you are doing a custum project have two made! most of the cost in a project like this is R & D its not that much more to make a double. and if you do this a lot you will want doubles of EVERYTHING!!!!

Best of luck!

B
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
I know it sounds a little cliched, but you may want to try and talk to the costume shop at a local college. I know that a lot of the students there need to complete X-amount of practicum hours every year, so you could very well help them out and get your jacket all at the same time while probably paying little more than material cost (depending on how you work things out).

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Unique Dress Jackets for Stage Performances (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL