The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Putting my act together (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sjballa147
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
278 Posts

Profile of sjballa147
I am putting my childrens act together and I was wondering what to look for in a trick. I know that it needs to be visual and funny. Also how many routines do I need to have in the show? Thanks for all the help.
Merry Christmas
Shane
JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
Let's see... first... what to look for in a trick. Remember to keep the tricks simple. Kids don't have preconcieved notions nor do they have long attention spans. Simple, colorful things with "funny" or "suprising" endings work well.

Kids also like to see it when the magician isn't in control of his environment, because they can relate to that. So when the magician's assistant whacks the magician's hand with the wand, or something appears not to happen the way the magician says... they like it.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Shane,

Not everyone would agree with me on this, but if I came out onto stage and was there until my part of the show was over, I would think of it all as one routine! Now it make take 10 to 50 tricks. But to me they should flow and in essence be one routine.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
There are many excellent books and DVD's available by David Ginn, Sammy Smith, Ken Scott and Terry Herbert to name a few. These will provide you with a wealth of information and ideas even if you don't use the routines.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
I think it really depends on how you wish to be percieved being visual and funny might be your main goals if you are selling yourself as a clown or kiddie entertainer. However, if you market yourself as a magician then I think you need a little more, not every trick need be particularly funny think of highs and lows and don't forget a magician in the eyes of lay people should do magic! I have heard so many times entertainers being critisized not because their act was not entertaining but because as people say to me the guy we had last year " he was very good and he entertained the kids but we booked a magician and he did not really do much magic" they often back this up with "the magic he did do was very basic" you see really the clients where not dissapointed with the show but rather that they did not believe they got what they booked. its rather like booking Jewel and dolly parton turning up both might be entertaining but if expected one thing and got another you still are probably not happy
phillip
sjballa147
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
278 Posts

Profile of sjballa147
I want to be perceived as a magician and a party guy I will play games and do a craft with the children.
Thanks
Shane
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Shane,

One of the lecturers at SEAM 2006 is someone that can really help you with that --- Live! (No, it's not me!)

It will be in Birmingham this time so it isn't far from you.

Michael Baker here on The Magic Café is the contact person.

Hope I see you there.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
sjballa147
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
278 Posts

Profile of sjballa147
Thanks Bob I'll check it out. Although your lectures are great.
Thanks
Shane
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Putting my act together (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL