The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Obsidian Oblique refocus (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
The update on ebay prices for OO has gone astray
Lots of flights of fancy about what might happen and what people could do if it should happen
Also lots of thoughts on the dynamics of the high price
Nobody mentioned the MAGICAL aspects of this item
Is it GOOD?
If so why so?
How does it compare with other methods?
Is it easy to do?
Is it hard to detect?
I'm not talking about the secret
But what a dealer would say about it or a review by a purchaser?
Anybody care to comment?
Cheers and a Happy New Year
TJ
:)
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
Obsidian Oblique is a very natural and effective peek technique by Alain Bellon which employs a folded business card. The technique can be used to peek at a portion of the card or to peek the entire side. The half billet peek is a significant variation of Millard Longman's excellent Acidus Novus technique, and the full peek technique is an exclusive origination. The OO technique is fully practical and essentially invisible when performed effectively.

IMO, OO is a truly important billet advancement.

Joe Z.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
I completely concur with everything Joe Zabel posted above. I'll only add that the book itself is something of a collectible (individually hand-bound hardcover, accompanying video disk, very limited edition), so it's of interest to collectors as well as mentalists trying to expand their knowledge bases; this helps to explain the high prices usually associated with the work.

For the serious billet-worker, though, it's definitely worthy of attention. And no, I'm not interested in selling my copy! Smile
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Scott Kahn
View Profile
Special user
Clayton, NC
787 Posts

Profile of Scott Kahn
For the most part, I'd definitely agree with both Joe and Doug's posts from above. However, that said, unless you are a SERIOUS collector of mentalism, I can hardly imagine spending $760 on eBay for this, even if I had that kind of money to spend. The technique is phenomenal and definitely a billet advancement, however, there are other techniques out there that accomplish the same thing, look just as natural, and more imporatntly, cost a LOT less. I am currently using the PJ Tear/Peek in my performances. But like Doug said, it's nice to know the Bellon methods simply for my knowledge base. Just my two cents.

--Scott Kahn, MD

PS: And no, I am not interested in sellng my copy either! Smile
Scott Kahn, M.D.

KAHNCEPTUAL CARD MAGIC: MORE DECEPTIVE PRACTICES WITH PLAYING CARDS
https://kahnjuring.com/kahnceptual-card-magic/

KAHNJURING: DECEPTIVE PRACTICES WITH PLAYING CARDS
https://kahnjuring.com/kahnjuring/

SWINDLES, SCAMS & KAHNS
https://kahnjuring.com/swindles-scams-kahns/
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
There are two moves in the book a half move and a full billet move. For me the half move is the most practical. I don't like the full move at all but that is just my preference. As Doug says the book is a work of art and worth having although I wouldn't pay those kind of mad prices for it.

Alan in his book describes how he has done multiple effects in one show just using these techniques. Although I think you would find it very difficult to get away with taking a billet off a group of people and handing it back multiple times.

For me its a great impromtu tool. The fact that I would use it says a lot as anyone who knows me knows I absolutley hate billets. But the half move is good and completely indetectable ..

Shrink
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2005-12-29 13:42, Scott Kahn wrote:
I am currently using the PJ Tear/Peek in my performances.
--Scott Kahn, MD

Is this one still only available to PEA members?
Or can you find it elsewhere?
Cheers and a Happy New Year
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Obsidian Oblique refocus (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL