The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building my 2nd Illusion! All help and advice welcomed! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I'm still in the designing process on the computer right now. Came across the funds to do this just 3 days back. Excited and a little scared, must admit though.

Will learn from mistakes made from 1st illusion. Great effect on it but too heavy (overmade it a lot). Have used it on TV twice though (my break into the field) so it was ok...

This next one I'm constructing will be lighter, more manageable and hopefully more deceptive. It's a trolley step base design with a box frame on top. Will make it collapsible (the box frame). Nine inches is the target but maybe even 8.5 inches if practical for the base. (Have to watch my weight!)

Thinking that it could also serve as a flash appearance on top (in the box frame) if I can find an easy way to rig it on and off.
Whaddaya guys think? All help and advice welcomed!
Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Javalier
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
11 Posts

Profile of Javalier
Hi Pakar Ilusi,

Just came across your post. I'm wondering when it is that you used your prop on TV. Was it on RTM1, RTM2, TV3??? Sorry never did come across any other magicians here except for that Chinese dude who drove a car blindfolded, quite some years ago. Would love to help out to create a magician following in this country.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Pakar,
If you want to trim that hiding space down as much as possible, make sure to use flat aluminum sheet for the top (lid) and bottom. 1/8" thick aluminum is pretty stout for the bottom if the surface is small enough to displace the weight. If it is a larger area, then go a bit thicker for the bottom. Make sure to AVOID extreme bevels. This is so unnatural and looks like a prop if done poorly. Remember, your goal is to make it look like a table ... not a trick. I personally prefer working trims, FLAT planes and offset tangent lines to create a truly thin looking base.

Study the construction to find all areas that do not have a load on them and are not structurally/strength relevant. Use thinner woods and reinforce the corner joints of those particular areas.

Try to find lightweight composites as well. Make sure to use Baltic Birch Plywood (cabinetmakers ply) for all panel areas. It is not much more than standard plywood and is FAR superior for tooling as well as warp resistance and longevity. 3/8" thick is usually good enough. 1/2" can be overkill.

That's what is off the top of my head!
Hope it helps!
Chance Wolf
Wolf's Magic
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
M@gic Man
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
121 Posts

Profile of M@gic Man
Why do you think building it yourself is better than having someone build it for you?

But anyway good luck with it all, sorry but i can't help you here. Smile
Its not what you do, but how you do it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building my 2nd Illusion! All help and advice welcomed! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL