The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Disclaimer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of TheNightBringer89
Ok please please please do not argue about whether or not to use a disclaimer, I have already decided to use one and will not be swayed. I do think a disclaimer is not the greatest idea for entertainment but my beliefs and consience would not let me rest unless I had one. Another thing is I really hate the "psychological mentalist" approach for me anyway so please don't suggest that.

Here's my question, I want to put in a disclaimer but am unsure when I should use it. I do not want to do it at the begining because I think half the fun in a mentalism show is the audience trying to figure out if he is real or not. Now at the end would be ideal but isn't that kind of anti-climactic? I do the final effect theres lots of applause, after it dies down I then do my disclaimer and say goodnight? It would seem to me to be much better to thank them and say goodnight during the applause for the last effect. Anyway would like to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks!
"Dreams are born of imagination, fed upon illusions, and put to death by reality."

It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong,
If you're not like the others then you don't belong.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Depends on what you are disclaiming. That having been said, if you put it at the end, they will never hear it. Anything after your last effect is a waste of time.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
If you're doing a disclaimer, do it at the beginning. I'll assume that the purpose of your wanting to do a disclaimer is to be honest with the audience. Why not begin your relationship with the audience by being honest?

Harry Anderson and his wife used to do a wonderful Mentalism act, and he had a very clever disclaimer:

"My friends tell me that I'd have to be crazy to come out here and tell you all that I'm Psychic. Fortunately, I'm not."

The audience was left to decide whether he was saying that he wasn't crazy, or that he wasn't psychic.

- entity
Philosophry
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of Philosophry
What exactly are you disclaiming?

That you are doing real magic or using real psychological effects.

(sorry if I'm being thick)
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I like what Osterlind says. Basically he says that he uses gifts or senses that everybody has. He has just worked a long time to develope them. That is obvioulsy not word for word, but that is basically it.
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

I'm disclaiming the use of any psychic or spiritual powers. I definately don't want to do it at the begining, but when I do use it I'm going to make it very clear, not leave it up to the audience to decide.
"Dreams are born of imagination, fed upon illusions, and put to death by reality."

Philosophry
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of Philosophry
I'd just say something at the end. You could take the 'don't be fooled by charlatans pretending to be psychics' line.
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-01-06 18:28, Philosophry wrote:
I'd just say something at the end. You could take the 'don't be fooled by charlatans pretending to be psychics' line.

This is pretty much my intent, just thought I'd get a few opinions first, thanks Philosophry!

J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
In my opinion only the cowards run when not being chased.

Jack

R.I.P.
Philosophry
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of Philosophry
That makes my nose a coward

Boom! Boom!
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-01-06 18:34, J ack Galloway wrote:

Jack

R.I.P.

I'm not afraid of anything, I just feel I have a religous and moral obligation. I would much prefer not to use a disclaimer. But in my mind there is not a choice.

John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2006-01-06 18:34, J ack Galloway wrote:

RUN! THE PARANOIDS ARE COMING! Smile

John
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
Jim Reynolds
View Profile
Elite user
Special Guest
431 Posts

Profile of Jim Reynolds
In looking at your avatar NightBringer (Marilyn Manson meets Mentalism?), you don't strike me as one who would care how others perceive you. However, as much as I hate disclaimers, I respect your desire to do so.

So your question is not what a good disclaimer would be, but where to put one: Why not do it before you do your last effect? Thank them, state your disclaimer and then "Let me leave you with this..." strong closer.

This way, you get your guilt off your chest while still leaving a sense of wonder for them.
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
You made me smile John.
Considering my current state a true work of magic.
Thanks.

Night I could argue that from a religious stand point I see no reason for you to disclaim.

I also would suggest that if you do not claim divine intervention or ability what do you have to beg excuse or explain for?

Heck man look at my stuff.
Use it if you want.
Even the skeptics have no problem with it.

Jack

R.I.P.
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Hi all, Jim, I think you are right, I may do it right before the final effect. And you are aslo right I do not care how others percieve me but again it's a moral thing not an image thing.

Jack, it has nothing to do with "begging for an excuse" I just do not want to "lead anyone down the wrong path" intentionally or unintentionally. I know it sounds stupid to some people but it is my beliefs. I could elaborate for a long time but I don't think I need to, it would just cause an argument I think. I really admire you as a performer and would agree with you comepletely on this subject if not for my beliefs. If you want to talk about it more we could PM if you like becauase it is off topic.

Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I introduce myself as a Psychic ENTERTAINER. That is the extent of my disclaimer unless I perform Q&A, and if I do (and I close with it), I state something to the effect of: The future is not set in stone, we all make our own choices and from those choices come our futures, be kind to others, think things through, do what you feel is right, and things will work out for the best. It's all in your hands... That's as far as I go. (Empowering the audience, but not taking away from the performance)

Tony
Snail
View Profile
Regular user
UK
163 Posts

Profile of Snail
"As for what went on tonight, You are the Judge"
The Peddingtons
Joe Stone
View Profile
New user
Wood Green, London, UK
61 Posts

Profile of Joe Stone
If your material isn't too intense I don't think you will do any damage whatever you present. People are pretty smart generally - don't worry unless you unintentionally gather a band of disciples.
Joe Xavier
View Profile
Regular user
Borneo Islands
149 Posts

Profile of Joe Xavier
Quote:
If your material isn't too intense I don't think you will do any damage whatever you present. People are pretty smart generally - don't worry unless you unintentionally gather a band of disciples.

Exactly. Just live up to your persona. How the public view you is totally up to them. You can disclaim all you want but if the public really believes, there's no point in telling them not to believe.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Disclaimer (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL