The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Assembling a routine. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
I would like to know if those that perform professionally have a mixed routine or basically one category of illusion. For example, do any of you do ONLY cards, coins, etc. or have you found that you need a mix.

If you can remember your earliest days, how did you decide what was part of a routine?
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
steve j
View Profile
Special user
Long Island, New York
559 Posts

Profile of steve j
I find that you need to mix it up...just cards is too boring so you mix the card tricks with some coins, ropes etc. Some of the advantages to mixing it up are you don't bore your audience and also should you have the need to do a deck switch you can put a coin trick in between card tricks. For example if you open with the invisible deck, when you finish that do a coin trick, then off to a non gimicked card trick...by doing that the audience think that you have just taken out the same deck from before. As far as what I put into my routine, I always think of how it would fit in. In everything that I do there is a certain amount of flow, I do have an all card walk around routine that gets amazing reactions because its strong from start to finish and flows very well. The other great thing about it is there is only on pick a card trick and it is at the end. This is just my advice and I hope that I answered your questions.

Steve J
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
I pretty much do all cards. So do many professional magicians. It has not been my experience that audiences are bored if you only focus on one thing. I also do agree that a variety of different magic effects (ie - a mixture of cards, coins, etc) is a good way to go but there are no set rules.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I do mostly cards, but I do have a few very stronge non card items.
1) Skinners one coin routine, with jumbo coin ending.
2) Ashes on Palm
3) Spong Balls
4) Bill Switch

I may do 3-5 tricks in a set, and all but 1 (2 max) will be card.
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I always mix it up also. Too much of the same thing may influence you, but not the spectators.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Agreed. Mix it up. Granted, if I had my way, it would be nothing but cards all the way. But I'm not there to entertain myself. Also, after a couple of card tricks it's practically inevitable that somebody will blurt out, "Do a coin trick!" I learned that early on (the hard way), and had to adapt.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
docelk
View Profile
Veteran user
St. Pete, FL
362 Posts

Profile of docelk
You can mix it up, and still do all cards, particularly for parlor magic or close up magic.

I start with a longer introduction than most. A routine where I eventually lead them to understand that I am an expert in both gambling and women, which for many of us, have great similarities. I then tell a one joke re gambling. I then tell them never to gamble with a magician, and do some gambling card effects, one after the other, with a buildup. (4 or 5 short effects)

I then tell them a woman's joke, and indicate I told them I would give the men in the audience some advice. (Always perks up the women's ears). Do Red Hot Mama, and end with Aniversary Waltz.

then end with a killer joke.
Life is a test. It is only a test. If this had been a real life, you would have been given further instructions on where to go, and what to do.
Juble
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Juble
I also try to mix it up a bit, but along a certain theme. For example, "everything is not as it seems", I sometimes start with a Colour Changing Deck, then go into Card Warp and finish with something like CMH done with the stem of a wine glass. I've done the same with "Solid through Solid" themes e.g. card through table, CMH, endless chain etc.

Justin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Assembling a routine. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL