The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » We're just finishing the cake. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lofty
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
128 Posts

Profile of Lofty
Not really a story but you gotta love when you show up to a birthday party and the mom says "the kids are just finishing the cake, as soon as they are done you can start".

Makes me laugh - personaly I can handle 20 kids wacked out on sugar(duck tape and stun guns come in handy), but.....
What do you do in your show when the kids are sooooo hyper that even the parents cant control them?

Lofty
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Voice control. Talk softly so they have to be quiet to hear you. Use lots of moment for applause and "look don't see" moments to cathart that energy and wear them down to a lovely worn out stupor AND they'll love the show!
Best,
Chris
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I've heard this before, but I think that it's just as likely that the kids would get bored because they can't hear, and start acting up even more. Comments?
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Starrpower,
Have you ever actually used this method? I don't say this with any anomosity at all...it's just that I do schools and libraries for my living and IT ALWAYS WORKS!
Maybe it's just my personality and I can do it...i don't know. As long as the show is great, fun, exciting and moves quickly it always seems to work. Maybe at birthdays it would'nt work. Of course, if you don't get the parents on your side from the start, it may be trouble. I've done my share of birthdays and this always seemed to help...or to "threaten" to stop the show and wait until they settle down to do anything.
Just trying to help..
Chris
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Quote:
On 2006-01-16 11:32, chris mcbrien wrote:
Voice control. Talk softly so they have to be quiet to hear you. Use lots of moment for applause and "look don't see" moments to cathart that energy and wear them down to a lovely worn out stupor AND they'll love the show!
Best,
Chris

Wouldn't prescription medications work faster? Just kidding!
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Why do I bother?
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
You bother because you love us, Chris.

I wasn't knocking the "quiet talk" technique ... I was just asking the question to see what others thought. Actually, like most of us who've been doing this for a while, I've probably tried EVERY technique over the years! Fortunately, I don't typically have behavior problems.

I think a lot of it depends on the audience. For example, Cub Scouts still respond to the scout's two-finger peace-sign "quiet" signal. However, I think if the parents have lost control, what can they expect of a magician ... that's what reform schools are for!

Regards,

Mark
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
I echo the "hand signal", this works well in schools and libraries! Sometimes, though, if you sense that there are a few who might disturb the rest (or are starting to) I just lower my voice and it gets everything back in line without having to break the routine to put my hand up.
You're right, I do love all you guys....sheeesh!
Now don't get me all teary eyed, I'm a tough, no-nonsense performer...no-nonsense!
;-)

Chris
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
The quite talk technique works well in schools & libraries. It can be a good tool at home parties but won't usually cut it when kids get really hyper (especially in an afternoon or evening home party). When kids are like that one thing you can do is take a break from the show & have them do a few minutes of dancing games. Give them all types of high energy moves to make so they are exausted & panting after the dancing. Once they get like that you can have an uphill battle on your hands. Usually after the dancing you need to speed up the pace of your show a bit by cutting out the more verbal type bits of business. Keep it visual, don't talk faster but keep the show fast paced.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
This doesn't alway's work, but most of the time it does: I say "I am going to be looking a few helpers to come up during the show,I can't bring everybody up,but I will be watching to see who is having fun,sitting still,not yelling out when I am speaking,and clapping if they like something!"

Most kids will want to help out so they usually do respond.Best.

Rich
Owen Anderson
View Profile
Loyal user
A sturdy fence needs at least
231 Posts

Profile of Owen Anderson
I recall an interview with the late great Miss Peggy Lee who said her soft voiced singing style developed in noisy night clubs. She couldn't sing over the din so she sang under it. Compelled people to pay attention.
Owen Anderson
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
[quote]On 2006-01-16 21:06, PaleoMagi wrote:
This doesn't alway's work, but most of the time it does: I say "I am going to be looking a few helpers to come up during the show, I can't bring everybody up, but I will be watching to see who is having fun, sitting still, not yelling out when I am speaking,and clapping if they like something!"

Most kids will want to help out so they usually do respond.
Best.

Rich

_____________________________________________________________________________________

This is a great tip and it usually works beautifully. After the first volunteer has finished and the other kids see that he/she receives a special "gift" or "prize" from the entertainer for being a good helper, they will make a special effort to be good so they might be chosen to be the next helper. It works!

Julie
Bridgewater
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
184 Posts

Profile of Bridgewater
In the very worst case scenario (happens in maybe one of a hundred shows) I rely on a whistle (gym teacher-referee type) and if that doesn't cut it, I also carry an air horn. Kids who have been to school are conditioned to stop talking and pay attention when they hear that whistle. The sheer volume of the air horn is enough to startle rampaging kids into momentary silence. That gives you the opportunity to regain their attention, and regain control.
Let me emphasize that I use these in "emergencies" only. I need the whistle only once or twice a year, and I've gone to the air horn once in 10 years.
"Don't run with those..."
krantis
View Profile
Regular user
AUSTRALIA
106 Posts

Profile of krantis
Clap your hands loud - get control big time!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stop the show, lay the rules, havent you seen the day care carers treat their kids!! loud and sharp - put them into line charlie or they will leave impressions in those ankles of yours!!
Mike
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
I will be watching to see who is having fun,sitting still,not yelling out when I am speaking,and clapping if they like something

What would you think if you, an adult, were in an audience, and David Copperfield gave the above speech?
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Why do kindergarten teachers have to go to college for years? Not to learn the ABC’s, or write their name. They already know everything they teach. They go to learn how to control the kids. Smile

If it’s a daycare, school, etc, I think it’s important to not let the fun start to soon. Get control from the start by using a teachers tone of voice, movement, etc. If you don’t take control from the start, it will be very hard to regain control later.

We magicians are bad at bringing ourselves down to a childs level and acting like them. I should say “we are Good at doing it,” because it can be a Good thing. But, if we do it to soon, it can be a nightmare. They need to see an adult in you somewhere, and I think it’s best to see it first.

This is one reason I never really liked talking to the audience a lot before the show starts. You have to be careful how you act as they are coming into the room, or maybe there’s a delay in starting. I don’t want them to sum me up to soon.

Once you take the stage, it’s your job to have control. When trouble breaks out, some teachers like to set back and watch you sweat.

Birthday parties are a little different, they’re there to have fun from the start. Be hard to act like a teacher there.

Getting back to Lofty’s question: “What do you do in your show when the kids are sooooo hyper that even the parents can’t control them?”

Not much you can do, except the best you can to gain control. To be honest, I’ve never been in that situation, but I can’t see where saying “quite, I need to show you something amazing,” not working. “Ok, I got something to show you as soon as everybody gets quite.”

It never gets to loud to SEE, they may not hear you but unless they’re blind, they can see. Do something to get their attention.

But hey, no matter how bad it gets, I would never call the police. Smile

Tom
MagicRabbit
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of MagicRabbit
Quote:
On 2006-01-24 21:39, rossmacrae wrote:
Quote:
I will be watching to see who is having fun,sitting still,not yelling out when I am speaking,and clapping if they like something

What would you think if you, an adult, were in an audience, and David Copperfield gave the above speech?

Ross, I would think that he should be giving that speech to kids, not adults.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
A lot of this can be dealt with at the time of booking. I regularly give some standard "party advice" to the person who books me. This sends the message that I have been doing this for some time and I know my way around a birthday party. One of the key pieces of advice I give to the parents is to have the birthay cake AFTER the show. I tell them that if the kids are loaded up with sugar, they won't be able to focus on the show and enjoy it as much.

Plus, I also tell the parents that immediately after the show, I need a couple of minutes to quickly put everything away. By having the kids go off and eat the birthday cake, this gives me the time I need. The parents always agree with this, and I have never had any problems.

If, however, the plans have changed and the kids have just eaten their cake, I always have one or two high-energy party games ready to go. This allows me to take control and have the kids burn off a bunch of energy before the show begins. I then get into a very "soft" warm up routine with the kids before starting the show.

After the show, I make it a point to casually explain to the parents why I injected the games into the pre warm-up portion of my show. This hammers home the foresight and experience I have with kids and it acts as a subtle hint for them the next time they are planning a party.

I know everyone probably handles this situation differently, but that's my approach to the situation.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Cascade88
View Profile
Regular user
Sam 104
109 Posts

Profile of Cascade88
I would use the idea ive heard mark lewis useing. I only pick the kids who sit up the straightest with the biggest smiles. Works killer.

-thank you
"Once is magic Twice is education."
rickmorse
View Profile
Regular user
Flushing, MI
131 Posts

Profile of rickmorse
One of my daycare shows yesterday was performed for a nearly out-of-control group of kids late in the day. More than one child INSISTED on yelling out instructions at inappropriate times, and it became darned annoying.

Now, I am firmly AGAINST the technique used by a now-deceased magician that went something like, "You're talking while I'm talking. I'll wait . . . now because you wasted my time I have to leave out a trick." OUCH! How does that make your audience percieve you? Do you really want to be an ogre? NEVER try to discipline a child during a show! Instead, I start to play with them--good natured responses to their talking and calling out, without letting it become a free for all. I DO say my next helper will be sitting on his bottom--his hand will be raised--and I'll choose the QUIETEST person in the room. Boy, do those kids settle fast!

In a nutshell, more Mr. Rogers, less Darth Vader!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » We're just finishing the cake. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL