The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Start with Dove show or magic show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of dmagic
Why do I see on all DVD's for kids' magician don't start with a "dove show" or "magic show" for 5 minutes?

He starts speaking. I think if magician were starting with manipulation magic with silks (music) it would be wonderful.

david
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
David,

I agree with you. Often I start my two hour stage show with a silent routine as the very first thing. It establishes that this is the magic show. This is the magician. I'm going to have to watch to see what is going on.

Magic is visual.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Some performers feel there is a need for some "Pre-show" preparations, such as laying down a rope barrier, setting up the rules, etc. That may be what you are noticing on the DVDs (I don't know which one(s) you are referring to). However, I agree with Bob Sanders. When I got the signal, or decided it was time to start the show, I'd play my music just loud enough to be noticed over the talking, and start in on a visual (and sometimes dove) routine that had flashes of fire and puffs of smoke (Hey, I'm a wizard!). By the time I finished my opener, I had all eyes on me and I could then do the rope circle and demonstrate the rules (rather than just say them, Rocky Racoon and I would act them out with him being the mischievous one).
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
There you go Spellbinder! It is a show, not a speech!

Give them what they came for.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
After Im introduced...my intro music plays and I walk into the show area...I start by telling the kids some rules...teach them the Magic words and scout for some helpers and stuff ...Then I say...

If youre all ready...Again my name is Wanlu and Id like to welcome you all to my wonderful world of Magic and Illusions...Music starts playing...and I do my opening routine done with music for about three to four minutes only ...til the first dove appears...music stops and I continue the rest of the show with mostly routines with Patter...

Til I need to play music again for the illusions and routines done with music after being prepared by some patter.

I suck in Silent Routines that's why I only do 3-4 munutes of silent act but I still start a show with such routine because I believe that's the best way to start a magic show...

Thanks

Wanlu
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
My entire show is silent, set to music.

I start with the appearance of my dove, it's subsequent vanish, then move into a short, but mysterious, zombie routine. Once I have established myself as being magical, I move full throttle into magic-comedy, This includes lots of volunteer participation on stage, and my pickpocket routine (choreographed to the music).

At the end of my show (thanks to a thoughtful input of Tony Clark), my dove re-appears. Again...pure "magic".

This silent-comedy show has worked for me for more than 20 years, and it's been a mutually satisfying experience for both myself and my audiences.

Although I am currently developing a mentalism show where I speak entirely throughout, I believe I will always continue the silent show.... it's just too much fun to give up, and touches an audience in ways that a speaking show cannot.

All the best.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Start with Dove show or magic show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL